Runner's Knee?

Options
So ever since I started doing C25K I've found that my left knee is hurting. It's not bad enough to the point of limping or not being able to run or exercise. I did some research and determined it is most likely runner's knee and needs to be solved with the right shoes and/or orthotic. Not a problem...except I'm dealing with med bills and things right now as well and it's going to be awhile before I can afford to go buy new shoes or expensive orthotics.

So my question is...is there anyway to reduce the pain or make it go away without shoes/orthotics? I'm going to have to continue jogging even with the pain. If I quit now I'm afraid all of the work I've done will be for nothing and I don't want that. I'm motivated to be able to finish C25k....suggestions?

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Well, shoes really are probably the best investment you can make, but given your budgetary limitations, I suggest doing some strength exercises to build up the muscles supporting your joints. Lunges, squats, etc. You can look up some great ones on Runnersworld.com.

I would also suggest stretching regularly and icing when possible. It really really helps after runs if you ice to reduce inflammation and long term injuries.

Good for you for being so tenacious and keeping up with it despite the pain! :)
  • carole456
    carole456 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This probably sounds stupid, but I find that if I stay on the pavement on the same side of the road the knee nearest the roadside becomes very sore and inflamed so I make sure I cross the road regularly:smile:
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Strengthen your leg muscles but start with 45 degree squats/lunges instead of going all the way down.
  • crystal9999
    crystal9999 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine recommended Glucosamine Chondroiton. It's a supplement that is good for your joints.
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This probably sounds stupid, but I find that if I stay on the pavement on the same side of the road the knee nearest the roadside becomes very sore and inflamed so I make sure I cross the road regularly:smile:
    That makes sense, paved roads are built on a very slight angle to allow for water to drain, so the leg on the roadside would be slightly higher than the other one.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Wow...interesting responses...

RE: The side of the road thing -- I usually jog back and forth on the same side so the pressure is already equally distributed throughout my run.

I'll check out that runnersworld link and do some 45 degree angle squats! Maybe some exercises are exactly what I need. I will also research the glucosamine chondroiton. Thanks!
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Two things come to mind:

1. You need new shoes. You need to be properly fitted for running shoes at a running store. Not a big box store at the mall. They will analyze the way you walk/run and recommend shoes. The analysis is usually free. Most places will just have you walk barefoot in their stores, other places use fancy treadmills. If you are serious about running and running sans injuries, get a shoe analysis and get the correct shoes for you. Once you do find "your" shoe you can shop sales/clearance and stock up.

2. Add strength training to your workouts. Squats, lunges, core work. It will make you a better runner. Build muscle in your legs, running does not build muscle.
  • AmandaDaley
    AmandaDaley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't run on the road very often, but I do run a track and around the gym. Counter-clockwise, so I'm constantly turning left. I wonder if my left-knee issues are the same thing.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Wow...interesting responses...

RE: The side of the road thing -- I usually jog back and forth on the same side so the pressure is already equally distributed throughout my run.

I'll check out that runnersworld link and do some 45 degree angle squats! Maybe some exercises are exactly what I need. I will also research the glucosamine chondroiton. Thanks!

Another tip from a runner who suffers from this from time to time. Glucosamine works well for me, YMMV.

Are you a mid-foot striker or a heel striker? In the last few months I went back to a mid foot strike, and my knees have gotten a lot better.
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I find KT Tape works for me. =) Tape and go. Used to have jumpers knee but ever since I used it, pain had subsided a lot!
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Are you a mid-foot striker or a heel striker? In the last few months I went back to a mid foot strike, and my knees have gotten a lot better.

Not sure I guess...I'd say heel.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Do you have a specialty running store near you? A lot of times you can go in, they'll put you on a treadmill and critique your stride as well as recommend a shoe. Definintely worth it!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    As a temporary (very!!) solution, I put intserts into my shoes to help prevent my foot from rolling but I am also working on my leg muscles and stretching a LOT with yoga and pilates which can help strengthen your stability muscles while also improving flexibility.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Do you have a specialty running store near you? A lot of times you can go in, they'll put you on a treadmill and critique your stride as well as recommend a shoe. Definintely worth it!

There is one nearby. I guess I'm just worried they are going to end up selling me a $200 pair of shoes. I just can't afford that.
  • Docfern
    Docfern Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I would recommend that you change the type of exercise that you are doing. You may want to perform an exercises that puts less stress on your knees. An example of this would be biking, elliptical machine, swimming. Give your knee a rest. If you run through the pain, you may find yourself with bigger medical bills. When you do get evaluated I recommend to look a "The Orthotic Group" gait scan. Great tool that I use in my office. Good Luck. Also Ice after you exercises.

Docfern
  • ajp913
    ajp913 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Glucosamine Chondroitin is pretty cheap. Plus get runners straps. They put pressure on the petellar tendon and lift the knee cap slightly, which relieves a lot of pressure in the joint. I grabbed a runners strap for about 20 bucks at a running specialty store.
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    been dealin with runner's knee since BEFORE i started running. glucosamine chondroitin is good, as are other joint supplements. my personal favs are GNCs "sport" joint supplement and move free advanced (blue box). also you do need to build the muscle around the knees to help with the pain. make sure you listen to your body and don't over do it! good luck!
  • mom2mcs
    mom2mcs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I developed runner's knee NOT after my first 1/2 marathon but after the 5k I did the weekend after. This was with YEARS of running without problems. That being said is why I give this suggestion. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. My fear is what came true for me. You will continue to run and only continue to aggravate it. I TOTALLY agree with the above suggestions of strength training, but you may need to consider backing off running for a while. I am not saying totally stop, but you may save yourself pain and permanent injury in the long run if you will substitute strength training and cardio workouts (like a video) for running, at least a few days of the week. Continue to ice and use glucosamine and I even used anti-imflammatories as needed. Good luck!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Yes, physiotherapy. You need a proper diagnosis really as could be a number of things, including micro tears in the meniscii (cartilage). Most of the problems are easy to fix and only require rest and painkillers/anti inflammatories and then remedial exercises to strengthen afterwards. However, as it sounds as though it is a biomechanical issue, the problem will recurr if the biomechanics are NOT corrected.

I have suffered with ITBS (Runners knee) and a strain/sprain and meniscal tears. All are a direct result of my flat feet and hypermobile joint. I have had physio and when I wear the correct footwear and do the correct strengthening exercises, I have few problems. problems have reoccurred after unusual practice such as when I had a fall and so there was direct trauma to my knee.

You may find wearing a knee support for a few days helpful, but do not become reliant upon them as they will lead to you having weak ligaments / muscles etc in the joint.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    If you're running on a canted surface, run in a direction that "evens" out. That's a common cause of running injuries.

Better yet, get off the canted surface completely.

New shoes never hurt, either, but they might not be (k)needed.

Re runner's knee — I had "runner's knee" starting in 1977 up through 2005 when I started taking glucosamine. Worked like a charm. First time I'd had zero knee pain in almost 30 years. I lost my weight between 12/2010 and 6/2011. I stopped taking gluc in 12/2011 and have had zero knee pain. Best guess is that my running (I started running in June 2011) strengthened my leg muscles so that my knee caps are tracking correctly.

Since you're in a bit of a financial bind, if "evening" things out doesn't work and if you don't get new shoes, stop damaging your body. I had to stop playing basketball in college 'cause of my knees and I don't regret stopping for a second.

Also, "ITBS" is a different malady than runner's knee. I've had both and my ITBS was worse, though YMMV.

Here's how I got my ITBS - http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=367c4e4e87ed45c19

The first 13.1 miles were on foot. The 1000 mile part was on a motorcycle. :-)