headaches couple hours after workout--HELP!

I eat a bowl of cereal in the morning then go work out (stationary bike) for 30-45 minutes, then go to work and eat peanut butter toast (most of the time). I drink water while working out then another bottle or two after. I am aware of my breathing while on the bike. I am getting small headaches a couple of hours after working out, they are light, but grow by mid to late afternoon. They start around 10 or so and last all day if I don't take a Relpax, which I am not supposed to take daily. I have read that it could be from dehydration, which I drink almost 3 bottles from the time I start my workout until around 10. As I said, I am aware of my breathing, which I have seen could cause headaches (lack of oxygen). So does anyone have any suggestions? The days I do not work out I do not have the headaches. Should I be eating something special before and/or after a workout to help this?!

Replies

• emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    I would get migraines and heart palpitations after working out. My dr told me I needed to drink something with electrol lights and cut back on the water. I had been flushing my sodium with all the water and working out.
    Go see your dr and try this
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    I second Emma's reply. Maybe try powerade or gatorade instead, or in addition to, your water.
  • would suggest you change your breakfast for a couple of days, if i presists i would have something instead of the peanut butter n bread as it could be either of these two things that could be triggering your head aches
  • Thanks! I will pick up Gatorade and try that tomorrow!
    I will look into other breakfast foods for after. Any suggestions on that?
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    I would suggest you have a yoghurt or something small before working out, but the one thing I have been told over and over again, is that you MUST eat something within 30 mins of finishing your exercises. I have been doing this for the past 2 weeks and it works for me.
    The other thing is to zone in on your breathing while your exercising.
    Plenty Plenty water too. You body could be detoxing with all the exercising you're doing. Give yourself some time and just keep flushing with quality water.

I would not recommend Powerade as it is high in calories and has nothing but empty calories. It is full of chemicals that will just aggravate your headaches. Keep it pure. :flowerforyou:
  • Tara1090
    Tara1090 Posts: 199 Member
    I agree with possibly changing your breakfast. It depends on the amount of time you have but try making eggs, oatmeal with fresh fruit.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    You might also try guzzling some water before you start your workout instead of waiting til it's already in progress..
  • I drank some Gatorade after my workout, along with water, and today I do not have a headache as I usually do! Thank you for the tip! :)
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    I eat a bowl of cereal in the morning then go work out (stationary bike) for 30-45 minutes, then go to work and eat peanut butter toast (most of the time). I drink water while working out then another bottle or two after. I am aware of my breathing while on the bike. I am getting small headaches a couple of hours after working out, they are light, but grow by mid to late afternoon. They start around 10 or so and last all day if I don't take a Relpax, which I am not supposed to take daily. I have read that it could be from dehydration, which I drink almost 3 bottles from the time I start my workout until around 10. As I said, I am aware of my breathing, which I have seen could cause headaches (lack of oxygen). So does anyone have any suggestions? The days I do not work out I do not have the headaches. Should I be eating something special before and/or after a workout to help this?!

You may not be eating enough, depending on how hard and how long you are working out. You may also not be getting enough nutrients or balanced nutrients. If your cereal is light on nutrients, which many cereals are (basically, empty calories) or if you aren't getting enough fat or protein, that would explain the headaches even if you are well hydrated. I would try changing up your diet.
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Also, sports drinks are usually high in sugar and not nutrient dense. Get your nutrients from real food, whenever possible. There is a time and place for sports drinks, but that's not usually alongside workouts that are less than an hour in duration.
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    I drank some Gatorade after my workout, along with water, and today I do not have a headache as I usually do! Thank you for the tip! :)
    Glad that helped!! Keep an eye on your sodium!