Birthdays- Good or Evil?

Options
As excited as I am for my approaching birthday, I am dreading the thought of cake making its way into the celebration! All of my friends, family and co-workers are aware of my weight loss goals and progress, but I do wonder if, in their minds, I will 'make an exception' on the 4th. Does anyone have any recommendations for avoiding something that was baked/purchased for YOU yet you do not WANT to consume?

Replies

• Besides telling them you don't want it?

Options:

-Just say no and hope they understand
    -Take a sliver of cake
    -Scrape off any kind of frosting (really though... frosting is sugar and shortening, as a baker I've made it from scratch. Nothing at all good in there)
    -Ask for a fruit display or something. It's sweet, can look nice, and is healthy.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    make your own healthy alternative "dessert" either a healthy version of carrot cake, or a fruit platter. there are some great gluten-free and dairy free healthy cakes & desserts, too, that will offer you the "taste" of chocolate, etc. but not the calories or unhealthy side-effects. i also like the idea of just telling everyone ahead of time that you don't want it. make your intentions clear! :smile: my cousin just had a baby shower when his wife was expecting their first child. he didn't eat a single bite of the cake, and everyone was giving him a hard time about "how can you not eat a piece of cake from your child's baby shower?" his response: i'm fat. i'm overweight. i want to live to see him get married. i want a healthy lifestyle. i would rather NOT eat the cake, and watch him grow up!" everyone understood that for sure!
  • AshleyM2484
    Options
    I'm loving these ideas! I think just say NO will work pretty well. Thank you all :happy:
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I agree with missikay- make your own cake/dessert/etc (fantastic idea). Despite this idea- birthdays are EVIL omgosh. It's my birthday today, but I celebrated on the weekend... eating out for dinner and breakfast, over eating out I guess I should say.. Ate too much and felt awful. Cake has never been an issue for me though because I'm not a big fan...