Help a girl with some protein

Options
I'm an extremely picky eater. I have realized though, that I don't eat near enough protein. I'm trying to work on bringing my sodium down, but I'm somewhat limited on what things I can add because of my selective eating. I was looking for ideas for things that people eat to add protein.

I don't eat seafood, and I don't like nuts but I like some peanut butter. Yes, I know I *should* eat or try to eat these things, so I'm trying to find things I can like (or at least tolerate) that could give me some new options for eating.

Obviously as a last resort would be protein type shakes.... they don't taste very good, but I can somewhat tolerate them. I bought a bunch of different "protein bars" recently to try them, but I'm not even sure which ones are best to try.

I haven't done much exercising thus far, and I'm starting to get into it more and for now I mostly do cardio but plan to add weights soon a couple times a week.

Replies

• mbroeckelmanpost
    mbroeckelmanpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Try cottage cheese or greek yogurt-- both have a lot of protein!
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    as stated above cottage cheese and greek yogurt are great sources, not sure if you like eggs - but also a great source.

if you are worried about the taste, I use body fortress whey protein from walmart and it actually tastes pretty good, much better then some of the GNC protein powders I have tried. If I am not feeling like meat i sometimes mix kashi - crunch cereal (9-13g of protein per serving) with a greek yogurt (mine has 15g of protein per 5.5 oz) so thats a pretty good high protein snack.
  • Eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, edamame, chicken, fish, turkey, soy milk, skim milk, almond butter, peanut butter, all kinds of cheeses...
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Any meat/fish/poultry will be good sources of protein.
  • beccas753
    beccas753 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm also a picky eater! I've started adding vanilla protein powder to anything that I put milk on. I get the Kashi Go Lean Crunch (13g protein) and add a 1/2 a scoop of protein powder and fat free organic milk.

I also use it in recipes where milk is called for to easily up the protein. I use the All Natural Designer Whey proteins (almond vanilla and double chocolate).

Good luck!
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You can google it, there is loads of advice online with regards to high protein meals.....

Good luck xx
  • Mandizzlelephant
    Options
    I mix protein powder in with just about everything I eat. I'm a picky eater too (extremely) but mixed in to smoothies, oatmeal, spaghetti sauce, whatever I don't taste the powders. I add fiber powders too. The fiber powder I use can be mixed in to water and not taste it. So as someone who doesn't normally get enough protein I usually end up going over using this method.
  • salene17
    salene17 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I saw a post on here to mix a cup of Greek yogurt with a packet of no sugar added hot chocolate mix... OMG.... with the Chobani nonfat version you are at just under 25 grams of protein and no fat ... FOR DESSERT!!! ;-) it is sooooooo good!
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    (fears this is a trap laid my the site mods, runs away)
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yogurt could be an option, or egg whites. Beans are good for easy crockpot recipes (can usually mix with ground turkey to get extra protein).

Protein smoothies would be a good option for you: A scoop of protein powder, bit of milk, banana, berries, spinach (sounds gross, it's delicious!) and possibly flax seed and other mix-ins. It doesn't taste like gross protein powder but gets in the protein. It's a good option for a breakfast substitute due to being a little higher calorie, but it will keep you full!

I've tried a few of the balance bar protein bars and they're usually not too bad tasting.
  • rebgeo
    rebgeo Posts: 23
    Options
    1% Chocolate Milk
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    If you're diary's correct you're getting plenty of protein!
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I mix my protein powder with 1 tbsp peanut butter & plain non-fat greek yogurt. Mix with my hand mixer and eat up. I use chocolate protein powder so it's similar to a chocolate yogurt/pudding. Super yummy & filled with protein.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Morning star products are high in protein and low in calories. Any meat, and believe it or not, Wheat Germ and the superfood Chia seed. Sprinkle wheat germ or chia seed in your food for extra protein. Humus is good too. Beans, and whole grans have protein. Most protein bars have too much salt and sugar so be careful. Also consult your doctor to see if your body is really not getting enough protein before you start adding or subtracting from your diet.
  • dresser2000
    Options
    I am scared of the protein powders, ever since reading the Consumer Reports report on all of the harmful things in them (mercury, arsenic, cadmium, etc), so I stay away from them--hated the taste anyway.

Two sources I like (besides meat, nuts, and eggs--I can't do yogurt) are protein enriched pastas and Quaker's weight control oatmeal--it has added fiber and same amount of protein as an egg. These are both processed foods, though, and where you are watching your sodium you would want to check the label.

Great job on your success so far!
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is a shake that I love. Blueberries are mother natures wonder fruit but feel free to swap fruits to your liking. Add a couple ice cubes to the blender to make it more of a milk shake thickness.

Calories Carbs Fat Protein

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein Gold Standard - Cake Batter, 1 Rounded Scoop (31g) 120 3 1 24
    Blueberries - Frozen, unsweetened, 0.75 cup, unthawed 59 14 1 0
    Kroger Brand - Vanilla Almond Milk, 8 oz 90 16 3 1
    Kroger - Greek Nonfat Plain Yogurt All Natural, 1 cup 150 9 0 23
    Total: 419 42 5 48

It'll increase your protein but tastes freaking amazing! My kids beg to have some every time I make it. Change out the Vanilla almond milk for plain to reduce the sugar some.

Also you should check out all natural Almond Butter. It's pretty awesome!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Tuna, quinoa, lentils, black beans!
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    Direct injection works best.

A good supply of protein can give you one or two quality protein shots per day, it all depends how healthy of a source you find.
    I have seen that dark meat provides a very good load per protein ratio, some like more diluted, it's all about personal preference.
    A lot of people don't really like the flavor, and the consistency of the shot can make it hard to swallow, that's why direct injection is my preferred way of providing it.

I hope that answers your question.
  • ZachyABaby
    Options
    ^^
    HAHAHAHA
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Direct injection works best.

A good supply of protein can give you one or two quality protein shots per day, it all depends how healthy of a source you find.
    I have seen that dark meat provides a very good load per protein ratio, some like more diluted, it's all about personal preference.
    A lot of people don't really like the flavor, and the consistency of the shot can make it hard to swallow, that's why direct injection is my preferred way of providing it.

I hope that answers your question.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: