Jasmine Rice or Quinoa

Options
I'm trying to decide if I should switch to Quinoa, of course, i have never eaten Quinoa, so I have no idea how to fix it, but I have heard that its better for you!??

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I **love** quinoa. I only tried it a few days ago but I think it is seriously yummy.

I make it exactly they way I would make rice. I like how it doesn't clump up the way rice does. Even cold, the seeds stay very seperate.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yep I love quinoa too, it has a cool texture and tastes more robust. plus it doesnt sit like glue in my stomach the way I feel that rice does, and it has more protein.
  • ccb1128
    ccb1128 Posts: 56
    Options
    I love quinoa; it's so versatile. I use it for cold salads, warm sides, but most often as my main dish. I just bring 1 &1/4 cups of water to boil then add 1 cup of quinoa and turn it down to simmer for 12 minutes. If I'm in a hurry, I'll just add a can of black beans, a can of fire roasted tomatoes, and a clove of garlic. Usually though, I like to use what fresh vegetables and herbs I have on hand. I have a number of recipes I'll be happy to share if you're interested.
  • myltlisa24
    myltlisa24 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa; it's so versatile. I use it for cold salads, warm sides, but most often as my main dish. I just bring 1 &1/4 cups of water to boil then add 1 cup of quinoa and turn it down to simmer for 12 minutes. If I'm in a hurry, I'll just add a can of black beans, a can of fire roasted tomatoes, and a clove of garlic. Usually though, I like to use what fresh vegetables and herbs I have on hand. I have a number of recipes I'll be happy to share if you're interested.

Yes, please! I would love to start cooking it! But i have no idea where to start!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is prepared much like rice, with a ratio of 2 parts liquid (water/broth) to 1 part rinsed quinoa, cooks in 20-25 minutes. Be sure to rinse your quinoa before cooking as it has a coating that has a bitter taste and can cause a stomach upset.

I like quinoa better than rice, but it does have a flavor and texture difference that takes a little getting used to. I use it instead of rice in my soups and casseroles and as a side dish.

http://chetday.com/quinoa.html
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Quinoa has way more nutritional value than rice. It is delicious! Tons of recipes on the web.
  • melidau
    melidau Posts: 13
    Options
    def quinoa.. spanish quinoa
    • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
    • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
    • 3 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
    • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce -- i use fresh tomatoes
    • 2 1/2 cups water
    • 1 teaspoon chili powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • kaybelmore
    Options
    Love Quinoa!

Here's the quick method
    *Soak 15 mins
    *Rinse
    *Add water1:1.75 parts to the dry amount (so 1.75 cups water for every cup dry before soak)
    *Bring to a boil
    *Simmer until the water is just about gone (like 20mins) stirring occasionally
    *remove from heat, fluff, and serve :D
  • 03one
    03one Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    quinoa not only tastes great but it's the only grain that is also a complete protein- meaning it has all the essential amino acids. to have a balanced diet in terms of amino acids, you'd otherwise have to eat your grain with a protein like beans or meat; quinoa, you don't have to!

Enjoy! it's awesome.