Introduce yourself, and tell us your story !

Options
This thread is meant for people to introduce themselves, and share their "Breaking point" story.. What finally pushed you to lose weight ?

Replies

• kmda17044
    Options
    Hi. I'm Kasey. I've been here before but didn't do much with it. I'm giving it a try after going off Weight Watchers. I believe they work, but I can't afford it. I'm looking for some buddies to help me along. I've got about 30 pounds to lose yet.
  • Incredible_shrinking_woman
    Options
    Since I created this topic, i'll go first.. My name is Hayley. I am almost 29 years old. I live in Ohio. Divorced, with a daughter. I been over weight most of, well, all of my adult life. I was teased in school. When I turned into an adult, I never recall being teased or taunted, but I just didn't feel confident. I felt as if I wasen't as pretty, or beautiful as thinner, healthier women. And shopping.. I hated shopping for clothing. It alone is harder than dieting.
    Don't get me wrong, there are alot of nice plus size clothing stores, but everything seems so much more expensive, or sold out. But for me, the reason I made this diet comitment is because of my health and appearance. I have high cholesterol, borderline diabetes and i'm over weight. I am 5'3" and at my heighest weight I was 245 Lbs. Since starting this diet I last weighed in at 239.6 Lbs. It's a small start, but hopefully it will be larger as time goes on. That is the jist of my story.. Now let's here yours :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Lenny!! Im divorced recently, have full custody of my seven year old daughter and im trying to lose all the weight i gained when i quit doing drugs. I dont like the person i see in the mirror anymore(: I have been drug free for almost six years now. When I quit doing drugs i slowly gained about 40 lbs. So I decide that NOW is the time to overcome one more major obstacle in my life, I want to get back to what i weighed when i did drugs EVERYDAY which is about 170 or so. At my last weigh in i was 190 and I started at 220 when i got divorced. So that is my story Good Luck to All. I know that you can do it as I know that i can. Fewer than 1 percent can quit the drugs that I was addicted to according to counselors and such, so im thinking this should be no different.
  • jowilson3rd
    Options
    I've been using MFP since the beginning of January and it's way easier to use than Weight Watchers on line, plus it's free. I've struggled with my weight since the birth of my second son, problem being that son is now 22. Before that I never had to watch my weight but now, well let's just say I could lose at least 50 pounds. My oldest son turned me on to MFP when I came home from buying groceries and was munching on a small package of chocolate covered peanuts. He signed me up, logged me in, and we looked up the calories in that small package and OMG! Just having that info on hand is all I needed to get me started. I'm off to a good start exercising on my treadmill daily and logging in most days (I don't have the ap on my phone). I've lost 8.8 lbs. since the beginning of the year and just hope that I keep it up and not lose my momentum like I have in the past.
  • Of all the little horrific moments in life (trying on my obese mother's jeans and them being the right size, nearly not fitting into a roller coaster, having a mild panic attack at the thought of flying), the most current and biggest reason for me to lose the weight for good?

My wedding. It's 18 months out but that's okay because I have over 100 pounds to lose. It's not just about the day and the dress either. My fiance lost his mother last year to a horrific cancer. Going through that with him really hit home that I am leading my body down a path that it will not survive for another 50 years. I don't want my fiance to go through what his father did, or my future children to go through losing a parent too soon. I need to be healthy for myself and for them.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Cindy. I've been here for one year. My breaking point was the death of my mom. I realized if I didn't do something about my weight I was heading to an early grave. Enough was enough! So here I am, one year later, 111 pound lighter and almost at goal weight. Hang in there everyone. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! :-)

scan0014.jpg
    fatfatfat.jpg
    006.jpg
    009.jpg
    CindyJanuary272012.jpg
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    Hi Im Lenny!! Im divorced recently, have full custody of my seven year old daughter and im trying to lose all the weight i gained when i quit doing drugs. I dont like the person i see in the mirror anymore(: I have been drug free for almost six years now. When I quit doing drugs i slowly gained about 40 lbs. So I decide that NOW is the time to overcome one more major obstacle in my life, I want to get back to what i weighed when i did drugs EVERYDAY which is about 170 or so. At my last weigh in i was 190 and I started at 220 when i got divorced. So that is my story Good Luck to All. I know that you can do it as I know that i can. Fewer than 1 percent can quit the drugs that I was addicted to according to counselors and such, so im thinking this should be no different.

That's awesome Lenny! Congratulations, and you WILL do it!
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    Hi. I'm Cindy. I've been here for one year. My breaking point was the death of my mom. I realized if I didn't do something about my weight I was heading to an early grave. Enough was enough! So here I am, one year later, 111 pound lighter and almost at goal weight. Hang in there everyone. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! :-)

scan0014.jpg
    fatfatfat.jpg
    006.jpg
    009.jpg
    CindyJanuary272012.jpg

This is just completely inspirational! Congratulations! You must be soooo proud of yourself!
  • kristensuz
    kristensuz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm Kristen and I just finished going through a brutal divorce. I am ready to be thin again!
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    I have yo-yo'd between my goal and 30 lbs over for years. I would like a lifestyle change that will end the yo-yo effect. I'm getting dizzy! ; ) One day I was online looking for nutrition value in some food I was planning to eat and stumbled into MFP. What an amazing stumble. I LOVE it! People are amazing and the accountability and info is beyond helpful. Good luck everybody. We can all do it!
  • apriljack
    Options

You can do this!! You have overcome so much already.
  • thadperry
    Options
    I've been very athletic all my life, but I guess the pounds have just creeped up on me. I exercise 5 times a week, running15-20 miles, swimming, lifting weights, etc. However, I can't keep eating without watching my calories. I'm 30 pounds overweight and need to lose this weight. I'm a great example of how exercise doesn't do it all - you have to watch what you eat too, especially once you get over the big 40... lol. It is time to get disciplined and this looks like a great way to do it. Thanks.
  • Princessbrene
    Princessbrene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm Kayla, 32 years old. I lost 30 pounds last year but hit a stressful period and gained it all back and then some. Counting calories has seemed to be what works best for me in losing the weight. I'm at my highest weight ever, and the doctor told me that I'm less than 1% away from hitting the obese category. My current wieght is 167, my goal weight is 130. I'm 5'2"
  • tf5_bassist
    tf5_bassist Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm Lou. I'm 30, been married, and have just overall became unhappy with how I look/feel. Gone through spurts at the gym, never stuck with it. Now I'm FINALLY making changes with how I eat, becoming more active, and within the first few weeks, lost a peak of 10lbs (depending on the day haha).

So far, I'm enjoying spending less eating out, actually using my kitchen hehe, and feeling better in general. I'm just tired of being "the big dude" everywhere I go, so here's to changing that!

When I started all this, I was between 254-256 on average, and now I've been hovering around 244-248. I'm not on a super strict diet, but it's working slowly but surely. If I can get below 240 within a month as my first goal, I'll be quite happy :D
  • myltlisa24
    myltlisa24 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

scan0014.jpg
    fatfatfat.jpg
    006.jpg
    009.jpg
    CindyJanuary272012.jpg

wow you look fantastic! great job!!!!! what an accomplishment!
  • MissesJai
    Options
    Hey all!! I'm pushing 40 with a short stick and have gained back 20 of the 40 lbs I lost 6 years ago. I'm tired of being tired, not having energy, and not fitting into anything I own! The most effective strategy for me is cutting back carbs to the bare minimum. Atkins definitely did the trick but I found it to be too strict, so I try to follow a more SBD (South Beach Diet) plan. At my heaviest, I was 218 and I'm 5'1 - not a good look. Now, I'm at 196 but I'd like to be around 150-155, at the most. I have the MFP app on my phone and log every single thing I eat, drink, etc. as well as every activity. It's amazing how quickly your calories add up in one day! I'm learning so much more about how to feed my body and am back in the gym 6 days a week doing Zumba and swimming. Good luck everyone!
  • scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm 22, engaged, and not happy with my body. I've been on this journey before and on my Facebook Page (back in 2009) I have pictures of me before college and I was 40lbs light then. I am at my heaviest today of 274.0 and that was a breaking point for me. Especially since I'm getting married in 10 months! I already have my dress so I can't lose a whole lot of weight but I plan to at least be able to fit my "skinny jeans" by the time my birthday rolls around which is in 7 months! Ack!

Another breaking point of mine was just walking up stairs and getting out of breath. Time for a change! :D I picked MFP because I've seen a lot of support and success on here and I feel welcomed by everyone. <3
  • mevs80lbs
    Options
    Hey I'm LeeAnn! 24 years of age from Los Angeles, CA. With that being said, Los Angeles is a image capital! You must look good. Its no option! Especially during summer time. Im 241 pounds as of today and this is my heaviest ive ever been in my life. Im trying to get down to 160. Mind you my height is 5'9. Im very well put together and most people would say i look around 190 but that isnt the case on the scale! Im ready to shake this weight and fight these 80 lbs i need to lose to get back to Myself. Diabetes runs in my family and i will not let that take my life over. I need to live for my child! And also look good for my husband! :)
  • jjpe
    jjpe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    HI, I'm Jenny.....Married, mother of 5. My breaking point was all the people having heart attacks around me! And believe it or not the fat rolls in my neck. I couldn't deny it any more...I was fat!!! So here I am.....and already feel the difference.....MFP such a wonderful tool!
  • admanMike
    admanMike Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I've always been a gym rat and enjoy working out, but my eating habbits have never been that great. I'm 47 now and exercise alone isn't enough to get me where i want to be. Some say i look good for 47, but i want to feel GREAT for any age. I started MFP at 195lbs and 16.5 % body fat. My goal is to get to 185 and under 15% bf and not lose muscle.

I've been on MFP for one month now and i have found recording my diet along with exercise has helped me. I've become more conscious of what i eat and MFP has made me accountable. Having friends to encourage and be encouraged by has also been helpful.

I applaud everyone who has set a goal and is moving towards it no matter what point they started and where they are now. I've seen some phenominal before/after results by many on MFP and wish everyone great success!