Fitness routine for stay at home mom

Options
I am a stay at home mother to a 2 month old...I'm stuck at home during the day since my husband takes the car to work...anyone have any suggestions to what kind of work outs I can do here at home that will help me lose weight? I've been dieting and been losing 1 lb a week, and I know if I exercise I will lose more...what about work out videos? I need help!

Replies

• Lollliiipopzzzz
    Options
    collagevideos.com

you can preview each video before buying it.
  • cassi_johan
    cassi_johan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what sort of impact your looking for but I have found that some walking dvds help me change up my routine. I have one my Leslie Sanson that I really enjoy. Give something like that a try.
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom of 2 year old twins (fun fun lol) .. I did 2 rounds of p90x and 2 rounds of Insanity... Now i am on my 3rd week of turbo fire, (SO MUCH FUN!!!) You can check out my pics!! :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/twinmama1987
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    www.bodyrock.tv
  • jodidaffodil77
    Options
    I love Taebo cardio! It's been one of my fav's for years and even if you can only do like 25 mins. it is a really good workout! Not sure if you are able to go for walks where you live or if weather permits but that's what I would do when we only had one car too. =)
  • sarah32lee
    sarah32lee Posts: 5,279 Member
    Options
    Hi, I stay home also..What I do is I look on You Tube and I do Leslie Sansone 2 mile walk or I do Jillian Micheals 30 day shred but u can find all sort of vidoes on there. Hope this helps Good Luck!! :smile:
  • bkwman
    bkwman Posts: 4
    Options
    As a mom of 4 older kids, my advice from when they were little, is put that baby in the stroller and start walking!
  • aliciawakka
    aliciawakka Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey im a stay at home mum but i have a 2year old rather than a 2month old so im in a different sort of boat!
    But maybe put away 1hr each day to go for a long walk with lil one in pushchair? Also when doing household things ect sorting through washing put the washing basket on the floor an pick up one item each time that'll get your belly going a bit lol just something i figured out myself haha. I also have a wii just dance game that i get into every other day for an hour. I lost 7lbs in 2weeks by just putting more effort into the everyday things that need doing, feel free to add :D Good luck
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good one if you're in an area where that's feasible.

P90X
    Insanity
    Those are the two I've done at home myself.

My fiancee enjoys wii fit but it is a much less strenuous workout than the previous two.

I've heard 30 day shred mentioned on here with pretty positive results.
  • liz11786
    liz11786 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! I only have 3 more pounds of baby weight to lose, but in total I would like to lose 68 pounds...I also work from home, so I figured even if I worked out 30 min a day that would be better than nothing!
  • JulaMonster
    JulaMonster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM of a 3 year old :smile: Walking is great, though depending on where you live you might have to wait til spring for that. For stuff to do indoors, I have been majorly loving Zumba. I've never been to a class, but I found a dvd at the library and I keep checking it out over and over again :wink: It's a lot of fun and a great exercise all around (I think!). I will say this about zumba (and frankly most exercises)- estimates on calories burned that I have gotten online (ie zumbacalories.com) or here on MFP (there is no zumba in the database but I've checked out estimates of high impact aerobics and other exercises like that) have been very high. I highly recommend a heart rate monitor, as I've learned that even at my highest intensity, I'm not burning as much as these sites estimate that I am. Before I got my HRM, I was relying on these estimates to figure my calories here on MFP, and I wasn't seeing the results I thought I should have been, since I was actually overestimating calories burned. Now I know! And I think this goes for any exercise, not just zumba. Every person burns at a different rate, even when doing the same activity, and a HRM is really the only way to get a better picture of what your exercise is REALLY doing for you :wink:
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I recommend 30 Day shred to help you get started. It's only 25 minutes long and you can find that much time between naps and working. I worked from home a lot in December and that's when I got started with 30DS. I picked up the dvd for $9 at target.
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids under the age of 5 so I do majority of my workouts at home. The wii is a great investment! There are plenty of workout and dance games. I have Zumba Fitness 1 and 2, EA Sports Active 2, The Michael Jackson Experience, Black Eyed Peas Experience. The Just Dance Series is also a great Calorie burner. As far as DVDs, I have Tae Bo Amped, Jillian Michael's Shred it With Weights(kettle bells), and Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training. If you have cable, you can find plenty of workouts on Fit TV or Exercise TV onDemand.