Tell me about your cheat days...

Options
First off...
I have heard people mention "cheat days". Does MFP create your weight loss goal with a cheat day factored in?! Or are these people just referring to a cheat day in general which are usually encouraged on any weight loss regimen (but only once a week or every two weeks).

Secondly...
I must vent about the waste of calories I ate tonight! I had about 1000 calories left to burn. I was craving something not super healthy, and decided to get a philly cheesesteak (at this sandwich place hubby took me to), with 1-2 fried pickle chips and a mozzarella stick. Bad for me.. yes- I know... but this is the first time in almost 2 weeks I have anything like that. :) ANYWAY.... It was nowhere near as great as I'd imagined it so I'm a little disappointed I wasted calories on it. :) Maybe my body is now used to not eating junk like that so its not as satisfying to me as it used to be? Anyway.. thanks for listening to the vent. :)

Have any of you ever felt disappointed in the food you wasted your hard earned calories on??? On to the night...

Replies

• Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    if i have been sticking to my calorie goal pretty closely, i do like to have a splurge day once a week or every other week. mfp does not factor in a cheat day.

but, like you, sometimes i find my food choices disappointing and then think "well, what a waste!" like the other night, i had a philly cheesesteak as well, and it just didn't hit the spot :$ i was just thinking "eh, don't ever need to eat one of those again." but then, if i go all out on sushi, i'm always satisfied <3
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I try not to have cheat "Days" and more just cheat "meals". I honestly feel kind of terrible if I eat poorly for an entire day, just because I'm used to eating pretty healthy now.

And yes, there have been P-L-E-N-T-Y of times I've "wasted" calories on a meal I thought was going to be sublime and then it ended up just being totally sub par. I'm glad though - it just teaches me that it's usually not worth it to splurge on crappy foods anyway. :)
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Tamstar- I totally agree! Sushi is one of those things that I'm never dissatisfied with... so I think from now on I'll just do that over a philly cheesesteak :) or.. just get a burger that I know is worth spending my calories on! :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    First off...
    I have heard people mention "cheat days". Does MFP create your weight loss goal with a cheat day factored in?! Or are these people just referring to a cheat day in general which are usually encouraged on any weight loss regimen (but only once a week or every two weeks).

No, there is no cheat day factored in. Personally, I think to give yourself free reign for an entire day is a bit much and can do a lot of damage. Cheat meal I am down with. If I know I am going out for dinner and want to ignore calories, I'll eat a sensible breakfast, lunch, then I will splurge on dinner, not feel guilty, and be done with it. I do this once every couple of weeks. However, a whole day? You could literally undo all of your hard work for the week in that one day. Power to those who can do it and still lose weight but it's not for me, thanks!
    Secondly...
    I must vent about the waste of calories I ate tonight! I had about 1000 calories left to burn. I was craving something not super healthy, and decided to get a philly cheesesteak (at this sandwich place hubby took me to), with 1-2 fried pickle chips and a mozzarella stick. Bad for me.. yes- I know... but this is the first time in almost 2 weeks I have anything like that. :) ANYWAY.... It was nowhere near as great as I'd imagined it so I'm a little disappointed I wasted calories on it. :) Maybe my body is now used to not eating junk like that so its not as satisfying to me as it used to be? Anyway.. thanks for listening to the vent. :)

Have any of you ever felt disappointed in the food you wasted your hard earned calories on??? On to the night...

I have definitely come around and give pause to what I will waste a boatload of calories on. A McDonald's Big Mac with gray meat that contains pink slime (aka ammonium hydroxide)? No thanks. I'd rather go to my local gourmet burger joint that grinds their own beef daily and makes a phenomenal burger. If I am going all out and blowing my calories out of the water, it best be worth it. Sub-par food doesn't cut it!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I too prefer to have a cheat meal once in awhile rather than a whole cheat day. And yes, I have totally found myself being completely disappointed by what I choose. Sometimes I'll go and get something I know is not good for me, but I'll get very small portion of it. That way I get the taste of it, but I"m not overwhelmed with 2000 calories of it, kwim? Like maybe a philly cheesesteak in subway kids size instead of 6 inch or foot long. Something like that. I certainly have my vices, but I try to get them in very small doses. I also don't have cheat meals on a weekly basis. I do it irregularly, which might not be good, but it's less than once a week.

HTH
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Tamstar- I totally agree! Sushi is one of those things that I'm never dissatisfied with... so I think from now on I'll just do that over a philly cheesesteak :) or.. just get a burger that I know is worth spending my calories on! :)

Your dog looks just like mine :heart:
  • vilardip1
    Options
    im in keto...6 days on, 1 day where i eat whatever i please...this past weekend (1130 sat night-1130 sun night) i had probably nearly 6000 calories, high fat high carb...and im down 11 or so pounds in a month
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I don't consider anything I eat as a "cheat" food.

That being said, I don't really eat a lot of crap anymore. I have my days, like anyone, where there isn't enough carbs or salt in the world to satisfy me but I don't call it cheating. I call it living and learning. :)
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I don't really consider any food bad. If I want it, I eat it, in a portion that fits my calories and macro goals.

But if I want /need more I also have cheat day once a week, though I do not think of it as a cheat. Its a free day, or a no worries on food choices day. I still track what I eat for my own education, so I understand the calories in my food choices. But don't panic about the choices.

Some days I may eat good, with a "bad" meal. Sometimes the whole day is "bad" - just depends on whats going on, my mood etc.

Have lost 60 lbs doing so, close to my goal weight now, and still losing. (10 lbs to go)

To gain one pound, you would need to eat 3500 calories OVER your BMR calorie level needed to maintain your body (which is is about 1230 calories for me as a short older women, assuming I did nothing but lay in bed all day, no walking, no exercise - nothing)

So even if I eat 4500 calories on my free day, I "might" gain a pound - Assuming I was not shorter/ in a deficit on my calorie goal on the other days in the week. But if you eat at a calorie deficit normally, you are short on other days already. Your body does not count calsonly in a 24 hour period - it uses a continual range. So it would count calories over a week, or month, etc. :)

And I exercise 6 days a week also. So I do have a deficit there added in.

At worst you may gain 1 pound ? And that would not be every week, since you eat different all the time.

So its hard to undo a weeks worth of good eating, unless you just totally give up the next day and never get back on track. And for some people that is exactly what may happen. For them a free day would not work. To each his own.

Keep in mind, I always "appear" to gain weight for a few days, after a free day. Its water weight from excess salt though, and excess carbs. But usually in 3-4 days of good eatting, it dissapears. Happeans every week, and I still lose .

For me - it keeps me sane. If I want it, and cannot work it into my daily calories, I know in a few days I can have that "whatever I crave" - otherwise I am bummed because I miss "whatever it is"

Not I do not binge like crazy, and eat just to eat, or make myself sick. But I do eat what I want. If I want fast food for lunch, and donuts for breakfast, and a Blizzard for dessert - I have it guilt free. but I also still try to meet my personal macro goals, and eat reasonable portions.

I don't have 4 donuts just cause I can - but I may have one or two with a glass of protein filled milk.

Its a lifestyle for me, not a temporary diet. I donot want to live my life never having a bowl of chocolate peanut butter ice cream or movie theater buttered popcorn, with some chocolate candy, and a soda. Just not everyday. Not even every week. But as needed. :)
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg2CIxwRPPu4yujtR6vUCQxRxEYF3XMryAAawOK7BAGEn5vSNW

<---Spike day
  • Kristena2009
    Kristena2009 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had a day that I didn't cheat and I had spent almost as many as if I would have....let me explain.

I haven't let myself have arbys, mcdonalds, any of the food that as a college student i was used to eating all the time. I had 900 calories left and I realized wow I can get that tonight if i want. I eventually decided that I would get erberts and gerberts instead and get a healthy turkey sandwich and have calories left over. I let myself have chips and a cookie because I assumed it wouldn't have been near as bad as mcdonalds. I totaled them up and bam I was over budged. (only by about 45 calories) but still annoying that I felt I was sacrificing and still used as many.