Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Laser hair removal question.

So, I did my second hair removal treatment on my chin today. Didn't realize she was gonna crank 'er up from low (I guess that's what it was on the first go around) to medium. She initially wanted to do high, indicating I'd feel it a lot more. I chose medium, just to get a feel, and christ. The medium alone was on the high end of pretty damn uncomfortable. I can't imagine "two more notches." :P

My question is, if you've had this done on the 'high' setting, did you a.) need numbing cream or did you b.) Just grin and bear it?

I personally dont know that I can imagine the high setting after what it felt like on medium. I'm by no means a wuss. Gimme your thoughts/experiences. I still have four sessions left.

Replies

• Bexx435
    Bexx435 Posts: 83 Member
    I've never had it done on my face, just the rest of my body. On some areas it's not so bad and others it's "OMG I think I'm gonna die" painful... but the pain means that it's working. I don't use the numbing cream but my esthetician says at least 75% of her clients do. Try it next time, see if it makes a difference.
  • grrl77
    grrl77 Posts: 108
    Yeah. I've read some people take in an ice pack and numb the crap out of themselves with it before they go to town. I was surprised at how much medium hurt, honestly. It wasn't to the point I was going to just... cry or anything, but I had to bite my lip, heh. I'm not a giant wuss, either. I just have really coarse hair there, so I'm sure that's what's happening.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    I've only had it done on my upper/lower legs, bikini line (which they iced during treatment) and underarms. The high level is slightly uncomfortable but I've always managed to do without the numbing cream. Can't imagine the chin area..
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    It does get easier and hurts less over time. I have also been told that it will hurt more during specific times of the month because of hormone levels etc. I have never used or even been offered numbing cream though...

I would tell them to leave the setting at medium and then when they becomes comfortable then turn it up
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    I have had it done on my face, they had a cooling machine to cool the areas at the same time.
    Now they have a new machine and I didn't feel a thing.
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    I have had my full face done (I'm hispanic..it's needed :P).

Once it hit high I caved and got the numbing cream. To me, it as worth the money and the bottle lasted for more than one session (usually 2-3). On the face, in my experience, jaw line was the worst. I'd recommend the cream, most facilities will call it in for you.
  • lpeace2u
    lpeace2u Posts: 94 Member
    If I can ask....what is the cost for laser hair removal?
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    hi there :)

what type of laser is it? some hurt more than others.

i;ve had laser where they applied a gel, and others where they didn't. personally i think its better when they dont, as you can feel when its too much. i had a nasty experience of getting burnt.

the last laser i went for (i;ve tried a few! indian genes and hairyness bleh!) the beuatician applied something caled burnshiled afterwards. worked a charm! never had a problem even when it was painful.

The coarser and more dense tour hair, the more it will hurt.

all the best!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    when I had it done, they put a gel on similar to what's used during ultrasounds, and the laser had an attachment that blew cold air on it, whenever it started to hurt I told her to turn up the air, it cooled it and helped a lot. I was never given the numbing cream option!! But, I had mine done about 8 years ago......
  • grrl77
    grrl77 Posts: 108
    This is IPL? Not sure how that differs from laser. This machine doesn't have the thing that pulses the air afterward, like some do. She basically just puts some cold gel on first, presses the thing into my skin and ZAP! Seriously though the medium setting was holy **** for me, not gonna lie. I asked her how many more 'levels' high would be, and she said two. It was two from low to medium and that was an extreme difference, I just can't fathom high.

I've heard of people strolling in with ice packs and just saying "okay go!" after they're good and numb. She did tell me about the gel she could call in, if I was interested, but a lot of people say that it's just topical and doesn't hurt much. So I dunno. I just was surprised at how much it hurt on medium. I swear, I'm not a giant wuss, but medium was surprisingly painful. I guess I'm a little afraid of what high would be like if medium made me want to wield a gun. ;)