any runners... help!

Options
I am a newbie... started the C25K and I haven't ran in years. I am doing good, but my shins are killing me while I am running. And advice? Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Nope, you aren't doing anything wrong, just something you aren't used to.

Here is a really great thread on shin splints, tons of solid advice.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints

ETA- Ice and ibuprofen (after NOT before running) will be your new best friend.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The article posted has some good points. In my experience of dealing with new Soldiers in the Army who have never ran a day in their life, it is due to improper form. Usually extending their stride too much and landing forcefully on their heels.
  • JBeansie
    Options
    You are doing everything right! That muscle, the tibialis anterior is strengthening every time you run. Did you know that running is the one exercise that truly works out the tibialis anterior? You can always tell a runner by a pronounced muscle. "Shin splints" are your body repairing the muscle damage caused by the exercise (don't worry it is making them stronger).

An old soccer trick for shin splints is to freeze a spoon, then place your thumb inside the concave end and rub the convex side down your shins. You want to push down and out, almost like you are running your thumb down the muscle. Feels great!

Good luck!
  • tatertotfishstick
    tatertotfishstick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    thanks! i feel better knowing I am not crazy. lol.
  • darhp758
    darhp758 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I believe you need to shorten your stride and try to land softer on your feet. Good luck and keep it up, it s a great sport. I have been
    running for many years and now can't live without it.
  • amyrllin
    Options
    Have you tried going for a proper shoe fitting? If you go to a specialty running store they look at your gait and your stance and body mechanics and can recommend the proper style of running shoe for you. I found this made a world of difference for me. It is worth spending the money on a good pair of shoes, I found this out the hard way!!
  • hagamivida
    Options
    read up in shin splints and make sure you don't have them because running with them, (mini hairline fractures) is painful and dangerous.

Lots of stretching. Walk it out. Stretch in the middle of your workout, too, like pointing toes, touching toes (or as close as you can get).
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Have you tried going for a proper shoe fitting? If you go to a specialty running store they look at your gait and your stance and body mechanics and can recommend the proper style of running shoe for you. I found this made a world of difference for me. It is worth spending the money on a good pair of shoes, I found this out the hard way!!

This!! May pain went away completely with the correct shoes.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am a newbie... started the C25K and I haven't ran in years. I am doing good, but my shins are killing me while I am running. And advice? Am I doing something wrong?

Shin splints :frown:

If you can, run on grass, dirt track or sand or any soft ground. Continual pounding on pavement can do the shins in, unfortunately, it gets worse if you try to run through it.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options

In my case the right shoes were less shoes... vibram fivefingers and merrell trail gloves depending on where i'm running. LOVE them both.
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm on "week 2" of the C25K and feel for ya. To help ease into it, I'm doubling up my weeks (so I'll do week 1 for 2 weeks, week 2 for 2, and so on). Also, instead of running two or three days in a row, I suggest either doing something different the day after a run or have a rest day. For your shin splints, do something like spinning or swimming on your non-run day - anything to take the pressure off your shins. And also (and this is hard for me), run at your slowest running pace possible. It's not a race...yet. The point is to be able to run a 5K regardless of speed, so take it slow. Hope this helps!
  • KaylanRose
    Options
    Doesn't help shin pain too much, but other starting aches and pains: hot bath with epsom salt. At the very least its a great way to relax at the end of the day!
  • FitnessDoll87
    FitnessDoll87 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I had the same problem! I haven't ran since then....I'm focusing more on strength training at the moment, but I really wanna get back into running once I buy some good shoes. I just got the nike free trainers for x-mas, but they're more for cross training not extended running....

I was told to go get a shoe fitting and that that would really make a difference. So I'm going to wait it out till I can spend the money on a high quality shoe that meets my needs. I also really wanna buy and HRM first....so then after that I will start saving up for running shoes.

mo money, mo problems....
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You're body will eventually get used to the running you are doing! I used to get them so bad especially at night, but taking Ibuprofen and icing always helped and sometimes a little rest day doesn't hurt :)