RUNNERS - Need some advice with my new running shoes!

Options
Hey runners - HELP
I just bought a new pair of running shoes - Asics, the same size/model I have had for the past 6 years
Took them out for the first time this morning to "break em in" ran 3 miles and about 1/2 mile in I noticed my toes were going NUMB?????
They pretty much stayed numb for the full 3 miles - my left being worse.

So, there could be a few things - not sure what to think
Could my shoes be too tight & I just have to work them in or UGH - they dont fit & i have to return? They are the same size and there was plenty of wiggle room at the toe, so I know i have the right size - so strange. and kinda made me worried.
This is the first time I've had this happen specifically so any thoughts would belp!
thx

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Just because they are the 'same shoe' doesn't mean it is the same. The companies change them every year a wee bit for better or for worse.

Any little change could be why your foot went numb as could how you tied your shoes etc.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You may already do this, but go to a store where they can tell you what type of shoe you need for your foot by just walking. It makes a HUGE difference. I am not much of a runner--I am trying!- but come from a family of runner's and have been around it my entire life. This is what I would recommend. I have been amazed at the difference I can feel in just a week of my new shoes.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hey runners - HELP
    I just bought a new pair of running shoes - Asics, the same size/model I have had for the past 6 years
    Took them out for the first time this morning to "break em in" ran 3 miles and about 1/2 mile in I noticed my toes were going NUMB?????
    They pretty much stayed numb for the full 3 miles - my left being worse.

So, there could be a few things - not sure what to think
    Could my shoes be too tight & I just have to work them in or UGH - they dont fit & i have to return? They are the same size and there was plenty of wiggle room at the toe, so I know i have the right size - so strange. and kinda made me worried.
    This is the first time I've had this happen specifically so any thoughts would belp!
    thx

This happens to me most of the times I run in new shoes. I just changed pairs again last month and I walked in them for a total of about 10 miles before I actually ran in them. This has helped. I too wear Asics. Do you mean you got the same "size/model" as in the same model from the same year or same model line? because if it's the latter than they make small changes every year. I used to wear gel-nimbuses for a couple years straight and then last year's model, they changed the way the lacing was structured and the shoe never felt right. My most recent pair fit me great and I have a feeling they will discontinue the model (they seem to drop the price significantly by the season and it is not one of their signature models) so I just went and ordered 3 more pairs two weeks ago for the future.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too! With Asics....I just kept on wearing mine, because I thought they would "break in" eventually....and they still have not after 3 months, I have had problem after problem....so now I am looking at buying a new pair already!
    If it is really bothersome, I say take them back now while you can! Each year they change something on them!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Happens to me in my shoes that fit, but after half an hour. I just bought a pair of really nice Nike shoes that I have to return because all my toes and the ball of my foot went numb 3 minutes in!!! UGH. Anyway they are probably too tight. You may want to go with a different brand or model.

Maybe try some reeboks?
  • romackmom
    Options
    When my toes went numb, it was because my shoes were too short. Have you been properly fitted at a running specialty store lately? May be time for a re-check if you haven't. I turn couch potatoes into marathoners and I insist they take their shoes and get re-checked when it's time for a new pair. Just a thought. And I know for a FACT that lacing patterns can make a world of difference. I have 4 pairs of shoes that each have their own pattern and a different pattern for each foot.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Assuming that they are the same width fitting I think I would be double checking that the laces are not too tight at the toe.

Failing that I'd check them against your old pair for width.

If they are labelled correctly but a different size (no matter how slight) take them back.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    lacing patterns can make a world of difference. I have 4 pairs of shoes that each have their own pattern and a different pattern for each foot.

Interesting.. Thanks for posting this.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen with new shoes except a whole foot went to sleep! I loosened the strings on that particular show when I ran, until they were broken in, and didn't have any more problems.

I recently started using the New Balance Minimus shoes. For anyone that doesn't know these shoes mimic running barefooted and work alot more muscles than conventional running shoes. They have taken some getting use too. I noticed I can be pretty sore after a run, which never happened with other types of shoes and the alot more muscle groups are used with these shoes.
  • berkra
    berkra Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For me it takes time to get used to my new shoes. I did put roughly 400miles on the last ASIC and it went through the base layer, it was time to get new ones. On the new ones I have ~40 miles and I feel comfortable. The first run I needed to adjust how they where tight, after that they where fine.

I like mine kind of loose in the forefoot to give it plenty room to expand while I run.

When I play squash or ping pong I like them more tight to give me more stability.

Good tip below to have a run store look at your walking and running. In FW TX i went to FW running, they video your foot and analyze if you have a role in it Based on that they recommend the support you need. I came from a neutral to a slight support on the inside.
  • JBeansie
    Options
    You may have been tying the shoelaces too tight and cutting off circulation on the top of your foot. It can happen with new shoes; they don't have a lot of give in the material.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    It happened with me too, but I had Reeboks. Actually, it took four or five running training sessions before they felt anywhere near as comfortable as my old trainers. They are fine now.

I hate breaking in new trainers and all the temporary discomfort that goes with it :frown:
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys - I am wearing the same size/model but yea, its the "newest" model. Asics Nimbus.
    I have had my "gate" measured and this has alwasy been the shoe that worked the best for me - this is my 4th pair and never had a problem.
    I am going to try loosening the laces - that was a great suggestion. And if, after a few times, Im still getting numb I guess I'll just have to return
    Annoyed about the problem but SOOOO relieved Im not the only one that has had this problem! Phew