Anyone have a hard time with calories??

Options
I use to eat 1 to 2 times a day. Other than coffee and 1-2 pops that is all I had. Now I am suppose to eat 1200 calories plus my exercise calories. I come short anywhere from 197-250 calories. I am so full I cant hardly eat anymore. I have to force myself to eat almost all those calories anyway. My diary says I eat good food because my fat is low, carbs are low and protein is slightly high. This is so crazy because most people have a hard time eating only 1200 calories. Any suggestions on how to not feel so full and to fit in MORE FOOD??

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I use to eat 1 to 2 times a day. Other than coffee and 1-2 pops that is all I had. Now I am suppose to eat 1200 calories plus my exercise calories. I come short anywhere from 197-250 calories. I am so full I cant hardly eat anymore. I have to force myself to eat almost all those calories anyway. My diary says I eat good food because my fat is low, carbs are low and protein is slightly high. This is so crazy because most people have a hard time eating only 1200 calories. Any suggestions on how to not feel so full and to fit in MORE FOOD??

Eat more calorically dense food and "good" food isn't necessarily low carb or low fat

Calorically dense foods;

nuts
    nut butters
    oils
    avocados
    pasta
    ice cream
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    ... My diary says I eat good food because my fat is low, carbs are low and protein is slightly high. ...

Fat and carbs are not bad. In fact, you need fat in order to properly regulate hormone production, and maintain a glossy coat - I mean hair :wink:
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a hunger suppressant for one. Are you a smoker? That can suppress hunger as well.

Or if your used to not eating much then your met rate is probably just running very very slow. In which case you will need to increase your food intake.
  • dgage8
    dgage8 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    try snacking and eating small meals every few hours or so. Trying to cram 1,000 calories into a single meal is hard to do. If you aren't hungry in the morning, for example, start small but try eating a banana or something.
  • VictoriaSnape
    VictoriaSnape Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Same here. I used to eat a yoghurt or something in the morning and then lunch and after that maybe something really light if i was hungry. i joined MFP 5 days ago and tho i am still strugling a bit with eating all 1.200 calories, it has helped me to get my eating habits in order.one day at a time. in the morning i eat egg with toast. then for morning snack i usually have a yoghurt or some fruit then for dinner it depends what my mum cooks, but it usually involves loads of vegetables. after that i again have evening snack - something light, yoghurt or fruit or even raw carrots. and for dinner maybe some bread with jam, or a salad. It has helped me so much. it feels like i am eating A LOT. which i am compared to before. and im not always hungry but will eat the damn yoghurt because its not healthy to not eat like i used to. i tried so many times to have more meals, and even tho i eat very small amounts of food at the time, just having 5 meals a day helps a lot. i am thankful for loging in my food, because it was scary how i could eat so little sometimes and not feel hungry at all.

• eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem (and the same post) ...i added a little cheese and bomb i was meeting my calories (i was under about 100 -200 a day) find something with a little fat you can add it... Im doing low carb so it was hard to find a balance.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    UNDEReating is as unhealthy as OVEReating....

I was a master at Disordered eating all my life, and hardly EVER ate breakfast OR lunch-
    so yeah, I can relate....I had a hard time getting used to eating MORE.

So how come I gained 50 lbs?

Because when I did eat, it was a lot of empty calories-

learning to EAT- especially when I don't get a lunch break- has been a real lesson too.

Peanut Butter- any nut butter for that matter (almond, sunflower, cashew, ect) is a wonderful way to start adding.
    And protein shakes made with almond milk- ( I sweeten mine w/ imitation vanilla and stevia )
  • Lollliiipopzzzz
    Options
    I have the same problem. I never really eat out and everything in my house is low calorie. I just try to eat very often. The only problem is when I do plyometrics or a lot of cardio. I need to make up for those calories and it's very hard to do that. Those days I have a huge caloric deficit.. and the plyometrics push my metabolism into overdrive making it even worse. It's a huge problem for me.
  • lungry1980
    Options
    Yes I smoke. I drink shakes for breakfast (food has never sounded good even when I was litte). Here is what I eat for snacks: cheese, nut mix, banana, sometimes fiber bars. Lunch I eat turkey sandwiches, with light mayo, hot pepper cheese, lettuce. Then I eat a normal portion of a meal I cook (mostly from eatingwell.com). Then I have another snack. Not sure if anyone can see my diary or not. I use to not drink water either and Im now between 7-8 cups a day. I work out (lifting a little), crunches, walking, and jogging. Today I jogged a total of 1/2 mile. I have cut my coffee down from 6-7 cups a day to 2. I dont drink any pop any more. I just feel Im eating good, (at least way better than I use to) and still Im so full I can not even think about eating.
  • code156
    code156 Posts: 31
    Options
    Wish I had that problem!
  • cbaughman07
    cbaughman07 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your eating healthy and for that reason your calories is low. It is not always a bad thing to not eat all calories that is suggested. My stats say I'm suppose to eat 2100 calories a day and most days I have between 600 and 1000 left to go. As long as the food your eating is healthy and your getting everything you need for vitamins and such I don't think it will have a bad effect on you. Good luck with your diet and keep up the good work!! :D
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    Protein shakes is an excellent way to get more healthy calories. I use Silk Almond Milk with chocolate powder. Peanut butter is also a good way to add good cals. I'm having the same problem so I'm learning as well. Unsalted peanuts too, yogurt, apples, bananas, bagel thins with cream cheese, high fiber or high protein cereal, protein or fiber bars (watch your daily carbs to stay in the green.) Mozzarella cheese sticks. (lower sodium than yellow cheese) ; egg whites, boiled eggs, etc. Good luck!
  • lungry1980
    Options
    I have been doing the body by vi shakes. I use silk as well. So Im normally pretty good on breakfast.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It will take a lot of getting used to but you will!! Soon enough you will be finding yourself being hungry at those levels and wanting to eat more up to you calories! Just keep at it and be patient! Change takes time!
  • RichardsFitTraining
    Options
    I eat peanut butter for my protein (Natural-full fat) as a calorie filler. It helps. Only 2 TBSP is about 200 calories and its good for you too!
  • JennyAnn35
    Options
    Don't eat your exercise cals. Just aim for between 1200-1400, being sure to not fall below 1200. I eat right around 1250 every day, burn over 1000 most days, and when I hit complete entry I don't get the warning you get about starvation as long as my intake is over 1200.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yes I smoke. I drink shakes for breakfast (food has never sounded good even when I was litte). Here is what I eat for snacks: cheese, nut mix, banana, sometimes fiber bars. Lunch I eat turkey sandwiches, with light mayo, hot pepper cheese, lettuce. Then I eat a normal portion of a meal I cook (mostly from eatingwell.com). Then I have another snack. Not sure if anyone can see my diary or not. I use to not drink water either and Im now between 7-8 cups a day. I work out (lifting a little), crunches, walking, and jogging. Today I jogged a total of 1/2 mile. I have cut my coffee down from 6-7 cups a day to 2. I dont drink any pop any more. I just feel Im eating good, (at least way better than I use to) and still Im so full I can not even think about eating.

You sound like you've made a lot of positive changes!! That's great!!

Trying to learn TO eat is, IMHO, just as hard as trying to learn not to eat. I was/am where you are. I've made a ton of positive changes to my diet and have started exercising. I'm doing Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. Anyway, you said that you jogged a total of 1/2 mile today...that's awesome and the more you workout, you will find that your appetite does increase as your body adjusts to burning calories.
    You can't unlearn a habit overnight and you can't just sit there and force feed yourself either. Some of the suggestions from the other posters are great, I drink a protein shake w/ milk everyday for extra calories If it's a non-workout day I may only add 1/2 a scoop to the milk.! For now, don't worry about low cal. this or that, just work within your macros and slowly raise the number of calories you are eating until you can get them all in.

Good luck to you!
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm going to be way under I'll grab the peanuts. Something like 170 calories per 1/4 cup. Good way to pack in some extra protein and fat too.
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it personally. I could hardly ever eat back all my exercise calories. I'm on maintenance now and I'm supposed to eat 800 more calories tonight. Guess I'll break out my girl scout cookies.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!