Does strength training not burn many calories?

Options
I just finished a 35-minute strength training routine. When I entered it in MFP, it said I only burned 127 calories. Is that really correct? It was a hard workout--I can't believe I only burned 127 calories. I don't have a heart rate monitor yet. I guess that's a good reason to get one. Just wanted to hear from anyone to find out if strength training really doesn't burn many calories. Thanks!

Replies

• suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've read that the actual workout doesn't burn many calories, but as your muscles get toner/stronger, they burn more calories during the day. So, you're doing yourself a long-term favor by working out!
  • jlira01
    jlira01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I believe it depends on the type type of strength training, intervals on switching to the set/weight, and your heart rate during the workout. With P90x, strength days I burn lower calories, but more than what's calculated through the tool. I use a heart rate monitor and log what's in the watch.
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    I've read that the actual workout doesn't burn many calories, but as your muscles get toner/stronger, they burn more calories during the day. So, you're doing yourself a long-term favor by working out!
    This ^
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, a HRM can't accurately tell how many calories you've burned lifting. I found this out AFTER I purchased one....bummer. But I use it anyway just to see how many it does say....it's usually between 300-400, depending what body part I'm working that day.
  • polkie05
    polkie05 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have read that you don't burn much calories during the workout, but there is continuous burn after. I would get a HRM... and when I have used mine, it would always be a low # like 70 for an hour.
  • kimber89
    kimber89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help!
  • srobersonak
    Options
    Yes, I've also heard that and the more muscle you have the more you burn the less time you have to spend doing cardio....so it is all worth the hard work in the long run.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Sad but true. Even if you get your heart rate up with the lifting (rather than with cardio intervals, which actually would increase your burn somewhat), lifting weights still doesn't burn a lot of calories, no matter what the HRM says. It's still good for us and will make us look better in the long run.
  • jnelk
    jnelk Posts: 4
    Options
    With strength training I try to do exercises that will bring my heart rate up, like step ups. It's also good to instead of having rests in between reps work another part straight away, eg. go from back reps, straight to chest and repeat. If that makes sense :)

If you go to a gym the pump/power classes are good too because they don't have much time to rest so your heart rate stays up.
  • bruxnbog
    bruxnbog Posts: 1
    Options
    You're talking like you put all this effort in for nothing because it doesn't count those burned calories. In reality, the work you're putting in IS paying off, it's just not visible in a number on the program. When you have more muscle mass your body burns more calories when at rest! You're also going to have a much healthier, longer life. That is your reward.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Exactly - think of it as an investment rather than a quick pay out.