Working out at Home Help Please!!

Options
I need some help with my exercises. I don't have time to get to a gym as of right now and would like to work out at home instead. I am 291 lbs. and want to lose weight and get tone. I live in an upstairs apartment in an old house that is not really suitable for jumping and things. The windows creek and move just from walking into the rooms and I don't want to make a lot of noise either for people downstairs. I do have a ball if that helps but need some ideas on what type of exercises I can do. I tried to get a pullup bar for the doorway but even when a 150 lb. man uses it ( tried it once as the bar is very new) the doorway was creaking and the trip was moving lol. any suggestions would be great. I thought of yoga or something but am not sure if someone my size can do it as Ive never tried it. I have tried to jog but I have a very hard time running or jogging right now but will consider it. :D

p.s i was thinking of trying p90x, any thoughts?

Replies

• NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have a similar home situation so I bought an exercise bike. I also do some simple stretching exercises and I've changed from driving to walking when I can.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    There is a program called slim in 6. I completed it once and the jumping is very limited. If I remember correctly there are a few jumping jacks, but thats about it.
  • ahager88
    Options
    Do you have a TV or laptop? I would try a few exercise DVD's. I would recommend Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred or Zumba. In order to burn some calories, you'll have to do a little jumping around. I would also start taking a 30 minute walk everyday, that is a great way to start losing weight. I would purchase a few handweights as well. Add me! We can support each other.
  • cbaughman07
    cbaughman07 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    thanks Ill look into the slim in 6 :) I do have both laptop and dvd - tv with the walking i think that might help my legs get stronger so i can run, and i LOVE to use a bike just not sure or any that work well that are cheaper (im on a somewhat tight budget)
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds is a great low impact walking workout. I love it because I have bad knees and can't do alot of jumping around.
  • littlebean24
    Options
    P90X is really tough from what I hear, but if you stick with it you should see results.. I use the Bar Method dvds. Its low impact and a great work out, but you will need to do something else for come cardio. :)
  • jz67
    jz67 Posts: 2
    Options
    Sounds like an elliptical trainer fits your needs. Costco has a great offering that is very quiet and an exceptional machine for the money. The brand is Freemotion and it is made by the same company that builds NordicTrac. Easy on the body and an exceptional workout for a reasonable price. Good luck!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    P90X would be ok for the weight lifting bits, but it also involves plyometric training which is mega high impact and Kempo X which is a bit of punching and kicking. My husband complains when I do the plyo because we live in a mobile home and the whole place shakes. Lol!! Could you not start off just walking? I often take an hours walk just to burn the calories and you can go as fast or slow as you like.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    My favorite exercises to do at home are pop pilates. Look up "blogilates" on youtube. Cassi Ho is an amazing person!
  • staceyrec
    staceyrec Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training has almost no jumping except for a bit in the warm up - less than 3 minutes total though. Its not a very good cardio workout . I add cardio by skipping in the parking lot of my building sometimes, its a great workout. As a heads up, my downstairs neighbors complained a lot about Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred.
  • Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation- I work at home and I live in a second storey apartment in an old building. I have an exercise bike, zumba on dvd, some other dvd workout programs, some free weights and a bar weighing 5kg.
  • Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation- I work at home and I live in a second storey apartment in an old building. I have an exercise bike, zumba on dvd, some other dvd workout programs, some free weights and a bar weighing 5kg.

workout* at home oops
  • TheYankeeBelle
    Options
    I am a big fan of P90X, but for the warm-ups there is good bit of running in place and jumping jacks. If you have the space, it's great for lunges. (not sure what climate you live in, but you could do the warm-up outside, then come back inside) I just bought some of those thick, foam "puzzle piece" looking mats that you see at gyms, but I got mine from Walmart for $18. Really helps with the downstairs noise.

Also, fitness mags put their at home work-out moves on their websites so you don't need to be a subscriber!

A tool that is much better for women than the pull-up bar is a good band around a door frame or bed post. Way cheaper and no damage to the structure. (you can use the bands for P90X instead of weights and pull-up bars)

You didn't mention if you have a heart rate monitor or not....if not, I strongly recommend getting one. Aside from this site, it's the #1 tool that has helped me shed 38 lbs.

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • natnatwilliams
    Options
    Hi cbaughman,

Some of the best exercise you can do is simply going for a walk.
    If you make sure you keep your pace up and your heart rate is elevated and you walk for at least 30mins then you've acheived your calories burnt goal for the day.
    No equipment necessary!
    I'm a really big fan or audio books and i've found that i'll go for a walk just so i can listen to the next part of the story!

Also, I've been googling yoga for beginners and there's heaps of youtube videos and sites with instructional videos available. I've not done yoga before this January, but they're pretty good at explaining how each pose should feel and i've started feeling really good and a little bit flexible (just not as flexible as the pretzel people who are leading the instructional video).
    You could probably google pilates ball exercises too and there'll be heaps there! They're meant to be really good for your core.

If you get some dumbells then you can do weights without having to move around too much as well.
    My last house was a creaker and i hated how everything rattled everytime i moved!

I hope this helped. Good luck!
  • angel_north
    angel_north Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Stretching can be a key part of your exercise regiment and you can burn off calories and be nice to the people below you. Just remember never place your hands behind your neck if you are doing crunches, I was shown cross arms across your chest. Also as you can fit it into your budget there are hand and ankle weights as well as 1 pound- what ever wieght you need most call them dumb bells. Sears from time to time runs goods sales on their weights but they go really fast..
  • adf4
    adf4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I also agree that Leslie Sansone Walk at Home or Walk away the pounds is a great way to go! I lost 30 lbs by doing this along w/ eating right! It wouldn't be an expensive start-up either! Best wishes to you!
  • Poohsta0
    Poohsta0 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Try the 30 Day Shred and look into Nerd Fitness online. Nerd gives you a basic circuit workout using body resistance only.
  • angel_north
    angel_north Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Nerd Fitness seems great for me since I am in front of a screen 10hrs a day. Thanks!
  • cbaughman07
    cbaughman07 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for your posts. Just to answer some thoughts - I live in WI so it is FREEZING lol and I don't have a heart monitor. Normally I just check it myself, one of the problems that I have is it is hard for me to get my heart rate to go up. I know a lot of overweight people that can simply walk up steps or run in place or even just walk to get their rate up but I can't. I have always controlled my breathing VERY well naturally so it is hard to get it up there for the 30 min to hour I should have. The workout bands sound like just the ticket with some dumbbells for toning. During the summer months I do tend to walk a lot, one of the reasons I lost so much last summer. I walked everyday for up to an hour and half, i walked between 1 mile and 2 miles day then. My biggest problem with that now is that everything is frozen and icy and i am a clumsy lol thanks again for your help ill be looking into your options :D
  • asherby85
    Options
    I just ordered Leslie Sansone: Walk at Home - 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk

It's a DVD where you walk in place, do knee and leg lefts. If you look it up you can find sample videos of her DVD's