Working out in the morning

Options
I really want to start working out in the mornings. By the time I get home from work im way to tired and have things come up. I worked out this morning without eating and felt sick half way though. I know your supposed to eat and let it settle and then work out but I just dont have time in the mornings either. Are there any easy things to eat in the morning so i can exercise right after and not feel the affect of exercising on an empty stomach or getting sick??

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I Intermittent Fast daily.
    My fast starts at 10pm and ends at 2pm.
    I work out at 7:30am 5 days a week!
    Drink ice water before you workout.
    If you run on an empty stomach you should limit it to about 20-40mins tops so you use up the remaining glycogen in the system.
    Then its pure fat fueling you!
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i ate 2 fig newtons before my 5 mile run this morning. i ate them on my 5 min car ride there. no upset stomach for me, and no hunger pains.
  • dee74
    dee74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think the eating before or after exercise depends on the person. I enjoy my workout and push harder when I do not eat before working out in the morning. I get up at around 4:30 daily for exercise. If I eat before I workout and wait an hour or two I get some nausea during my workout and it decreases my effort. As I said I think each person is different with this.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I get up between 5-5:30 every morning and exercise for 30-60 minutes. I do not eat first. I usually don't eat until 7 and have and egg white sandwich with laughing cow cheese on the drive to work.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat before working out.. but some days when my stomach is growling I'll eat half a banana. Just enough to get some energy into me without feeling like I have an endless pit of food in my stomach that will be swaying/jumping/clapping around while I workout!
  • Tara1090
    Tara1090 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. When I first started working out in the mornings, I did feel nauseous and would sometimes have a few crackers, or a banana before I worked out - you want something light, not heavy, so that you don't get sick while you do cardio.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    when i work out in the morning i try to have something that won't break down immediately, but won't weigh me down. i gravitate towards half a banana and a tangerine, or 1/4 cup oatmeal with some berries. i keep this infographic open on my computer ALL the time because i refer to it nearly every day. (yes, this is the 2nd greatist infographic i'm posting today, and no i don't work for them, i just think their site is cool and informative)

http://www.greatist.com/health/the-complete-guide-to-workout-nutrition/#
  • shunda03
    shunda03 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started back working out in the morning -- I usually weigh myself on my Wii which also keeps track and go to the gym. You really have to focus on going to bed early; at leas I do. I hit bed around 10:30am; then wake up around 5:30am, feed puppies, grab lunch, double check to make sure I haven't left anything, hit the gym at 6:30am (workout for 1hr), and then be to work at 8am. Yes it will be a long day but try to stay busy; I totally love working out in the morning and plus there's less people holding up the machines.

Good luck to everyone!!!
  • the_other_kitkat
    Options
    Back when I was doing Couch to 5k I would have a piece of fruit before heading out for a jog. Currently I do yoga once a week at the crack of down and I make a small protein shake right before. It's just enough to take the edge of and get me through a 90 minute class. I did try doing it fasted and wound up starving halfway through - no bueno. So depending on what you are doing you might try one of those things.
  • magnumgirl
    magnumgirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Something easy to digest like a piece of toast, bread is a good one to try its fast energy for your body. Don't put things like peanut butter on it as your body has to work harder to digest proteins and you want the energy NOW. Eat some protein after a workout.
  • magnumgirl
    magnumgirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thats a great way to start a workout, those don't take long to start deigesting so your body gets energy fast.
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I usually have dinner by 6pm. I get up at about 4:1a5 and start my workout at 4:30a. Usually, I don't eat anything. If I wake up hungry, I might have 2 tblsp of dried fruit.