Private Profiles

Options
dukes418
dukes418 Posts: 207 Member
Not usually one to post but would love some insight on this topic. What are some of the reasons folks make their profiles private? I get the fact some may not want non-MFP friends to see their profile, but what about making the profile private to people you actually friend?

Off the top, I'm guessing some folks either have encountered some weird or sick folks or just something else. Maybe it is just a personal preference. Not judging either way, just curious.

If you or someone you know has recently made their profile private and can share some insight that would be great.

Peace.

Replies

• becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    My mom's is private because she works in criminal justice and is not on to make friends, just track calories and such. That is really the only reason why I can think of. She doesn't use the forums or anything...won't even friend me! Lol...she is on my FB group though...this site is just for her to track
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    That is why mine is private. But it is open to friends. Just closed to anyone not on my friends list.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I don't want my MIL to join and see the "awesome" things I've said about her :) LOL
  • dukes418
    Options
    My mom's is private because she works in criminal justice and is not on to make friends, just track calories and such. That is really the only reason why I can think of. She doesn't use the forums or anything...won't even friend me! Lol...she is on my FB group though...this site is just for her to track

I can see that being a reason. Good point and thanks for the insight. My wife won't touch anything social network-related but even she has decided to soften up a little. I think you (rather, your mom) has helped me pursuade her to get on board:)

Thanks!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    My profile is viewable only my my friends. I used to keep it comepletely private, because I wasn't interested in the community feature, but now as I am using it more and have accepted a couple of friends I decided to open it up to them. I don't know why someone would have friends at all if their profile is still private from them.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of the patients that see the same Endocrinologist that I do (I work for the same company as the Endo).... and the Endo recommended this site to help us keep track and then print the reports so we can turn them in to her attention.

They definitely dont need the rest of the world knowing, and most certainly dont need to be recognized by others and after all - they are using MFP for their medical and/or health reasons. They only have to hold theirself accountable and the Endo advises them as well.
  • NaiaNZ
    NaiaNZ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't want my MIL to join and see the "awesome" things I've said about her :) LOL

Hahaha LOVE this!!!!
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I only keep my food diary super private because I am an extremely picky eater and I do not feel like people asking me every day "where are your veggies and fruits!"

Other wise I think I am fairly open.
  • dukes418
    Options
    That is why mine is private. But it is open to friends. Just closed to anyone not on my friends list.

I'm glad I'm in your camp of friends :smile:
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I've gotten 3 friend request in the last week.. When i added them their profile was still private.. Whats the point.. DELETE!!
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    there is nothing private about me.
    I can see that.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    There have been creepers and stalkers/EXs here from time to time so that is the usual reason.
    As far as seeing my newsfeed I honestly didn`t know that was an option,thought you had to be friends to see anyones or otherwise all were private.

I would leave mine that way regardless as I enjoy being an adult on my page and history has also been third parties complaining and reporting stuff from non friends to their friends newsfeeds so wouldn`t want the aggravation if everyone could see it.
    If you have me as a friend then you know I can tease,have fun and be risqué at times and have accepted that.
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    CastleMadeOfSand Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    There have been creepers and stalkers/EXs here from time to time so that is the usual reason.
    As far as seeing my newsfeed I honestly didn`t know that was an option,thought you had to be friends to see anyones or otherwise all were private.

I would leave mine that way regardless as I enjoy being an adult on my page and history has also been third parties complaining and reporting stuff from non friends to their friends newsfeeds so wouldn`t want the aggravation if everyone could see it.
    If you have me as a friend then you know I can tease,have fun and be risqué at times and have accepted that.

That, verbatim.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I hate people..
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    You were awesome in Full Metal Jacket

full_metal_jacket_bathroom.jpg
  • Saxmis
    Saxmis Posts: 84
    Options
    I keep my profile private for 2 reasons. Firstly, an abusive ex that has a stalking habit. 'Nuff said.

Secondly, I maybe, possibly have a slight ED problem and some of my friends in my life are on here and if they saw what I was eating and how much exercise I was doing, I'd be having an intervention any minute now.
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    To keep the creepers at bay.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    To keep the creepers at bay.
    Like nearly-naked middle-aged guys that are "here for uninhibited sharing and hoping to find some friends into the same", with nothing but young gals in their friends list? (shudder)
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Mines private to nonfriends. Open to friends. I keep it that way for the reasons Carl stated but also because this is MY space. I come here for support and sometimes that means airing shiz I don't want anyone to just be able to find.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

Maybe you should put some shorts on or something, if you want to keep fighting evil today.