Garmin watch

Options
Anybody have one they recommend? I am going to start running outside once the weather warms up and I am looking to buy one for my training. There are so many different kinds out there. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Annieminnesota
    Annieminnesota Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Do you want it to also have an HRM? If so do you want the HRM to be able to estimate calories from activities other than running?

405 is ok (you can now get it cheap).

410 & 610 are better.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    www.dcrainmaker.com

Everything you wanted to know about GPS/HRM watches.
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    I have the 410. Love it.
  • Annieminnesota
    Annieminnesota Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yes, I want it for a HRM and to figure out how far I've ran/speed.

I see some have chest straps and some don't. Wondering if the strapless ones are still as accurate.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    +1 to dcrainmaker's website. The reviews there are the best I've seen.

I have a 110 because it is cheap and idiot proof and I really dislike the feel of the HRM around my chest. If you want a HRM, you'll only be looking at the models with the chest straps.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I just got the 110 after having the 205 for years and the 301 before that. I found that I never used any of the virtual trainer, workout set up stuff EVER so why would I pay for it. The only thing I wish my 110 had was to show the time per lap vs. culm time when indoors. Besides that I have been pleased with it.

You can opt for a HRM with it but I didn't as I cannot stand the chest strap
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    I just got the 110 after having the 205 for years and the 301 before that. I found that I never used any of the virtual trainer, workout set up stuff EVER so why would I pay for it. The only thing I wish my 110 had was to show the time per lap vs. culm time when indoors. Besides that I have been pleased with it.

You can opt for a HRM with it but I didn't as I cannot stand the chest strap

After using other Garmins I've also turned to the 110 because it is basic and easy and straightforward and does everything I need it to!

If you want a HRM, do the chest strap - the finger thingy is too unreliable, and the chest strap gives you continuous feedback. It takes a while to get used to, but it's the best way to monitor.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have an old, really old, Forerunner 201, they aren't made any longer, and I've loved it. I think any Garmin product will do what is advertised, so in agreeing with the earlier posts, figure out what features you want, figure out which versions have those features and buy the lowest end one that has what you want so you aren't paying for extra stuff. My own experience is that I don't use most of the features on there, so stuff that might sound cool, may have no real practical use and you don't want to pay for bells and whistles.