After dinner still under calorie goal...

...is it ok to binge eat this late to make up for lost calories? Im running like 500 under (after exercise) and i'm having trouble finding healthy stuff to eat, and feeling full! I'm scared to eat too much right before bed, without working any of it off. Any insight? Thanks! :)

Replies

• thesameas
    thesameas Posts: 65 Member
    If you're really not hungry, I don't think you should eat. Just try to make sure to eat more calories throughout the day tomorrow.
  • i agree. i try not to eat too close to bed time. and especially if you're not hungry, i don't see any reason why you should =)
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    ...is it ok to binge eat this late to make up for lost calories? Im running like 500 under (after exercise) and i'm having trouble finding healthy stuff to eat, and feeling full! I'm scared to eat too much right before bed, without working any of it off. Any insight? Thanks! :)

apples and peanut butter or celery and peanut butter are my go to snacks when I need to fill calories
  • As long as you are close to your calorie allowance before exercise is taken into consideration then I think it's okay not to eat if you're not hungry
  • I don't like to go to bed hungry because it makes it harder to sleep, but I never eat just to get the calories up, either. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat. If I am, usually a granola bar or Skinny Cow is enough for me.... or maybe both.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Peanut butter or nuts are great for when you need more calories and just aren't hungry. If you're still hungry eat, it doesn't matter what time it is!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member

if you are not hungry Don't eat. Geez.....its pretty basic!
  • I agree if your not hungry then don't eat, just remember to stop eating 3 hours before you go to bed. other wise your body just holds on to the fat/ sugar or whatever else is in the food.
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    i have those days a lot of them ... i just go to sleep lol if i am not hungry ... if hungry i eat some carrots ... or any fruits
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    500 calories is NOT a binge.
    Yes, treat yourself, and ignore the food Nazi's.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 410 Member
    I think you should try and make a habit of pre-planning your day (what you eat and what you do) to make sure that you are eating your calories throughout the day and not just eating junkfood or eating at night to eat your calories. :drinker:
  • lr8812
    lr8812 Posts: 111
    Hmm. I'd just not eat. I rarely eat back calories I've burnt. I usually burn anywhere from 700-900 at the gym, and if I do decide I want an extra sandwich or two, I still have a lot of calories left.
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Try to eat some calories , 500 is alot to not be eating. My last meal is around 11oclock when I get home from the gym. Your body needs the calories, as long as you dont plan to go to sleep immediately after youre fine :)
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    If you're really not at all hungry, don't force yourself.
    Otherwise? A doughnut will NOT kill you :smile:
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    eat like 100 - 300 of it back . some fruit or something. : )
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    I agree if your not hungry then don't eat, just remember to stop eating 3 hours before you go to bed. other wise your body just holds on to the fat/ sugar or whatever else is in the food.

This is not true and hasn't been scientifically proven. A calorie is a calorie regardless of what time of day it's eaten. If you're hungry eat ... if not don't or try for a small high calorie snack just to fill the gap a bit.
  • Protein shake with one spoon peanut butter!
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Fruit? Celery? Protein shake?

Bah! Come to the Dark Side....we have cookies! :laugh:
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    I avoid that for the most part by pre-planning. 500 under is a lot. and 500 is SO NOT A BINGE!!
    For anyone with insulin/blood sugar issues, i was advised by my MD and dietitian to definitely have a snack before bed - usually 100-150 calories in order to help stabilize my levels during the night. There is a noticeable difference in my hunger level the next day when I have an adequate bedtime snack.
  • Maggannie
    Maggannie Posts: 1 Member
    You can eat when ever you are hungry or need to. It is a proven fact that eating late at night or before you go to sleep does not make you gain or prevent you from loosing weight. I am a testament to that 9.5kg loss in 9 weeks, I have a disability, can't exercise and eat after midnight, but I stick to my calories and eat a healthy diet apart from my desert everyday

Maggannie