I have a binge eating problem.

Options
I am an 18 year old college student, and although I am not overweight, I do have some weight that I want to lose. I eat very healthily, and I run 5 miles 5 times per week, but I still cannot lose weight. Why? Because I consistently binge eat >500 calories worth of food. I do this for a variety of reasons, and I will probably make a blog post analyzing them at some point.

My problem is honestly really embarrassing, and every time I overeat like this I just feel ashamed and angry at myself. I chose my username because I am going to use this site to track the number of days that I am able to go without bingeing.

I've talked to my doctor about this, and I was given strategies to try to take on this problem day by day until I go back to the doctors again in May.

I currently am 5'5" and weigh 142lbs, and my goal weight is 120 lbs. I am hoping to lose about a pound per week, but I want to concentrate more on eating healthily not bingeing than on losing weight.

If anyone has any similar goals, or would like to be friends and support me, send me a friend request because I would like to support you too :)

Replies

• Shanney77
    Shanney77 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have overcome the same problem, but it took many years and tries. It really is emotionally taxing and can depress you if you let it. Don't let it and fight it all the way. Overcoming binge eating by Chris Fishburn is a good starting point to get you on the right path. If you commit to the methods you will win. Some times you will fail but eventually you will get momentum and stick with it. If you have any questions or just need to vent you can contact me. I am 34 and started binging when I was 14yr. If I can kick it anyone can.
  • happygirl338
    Options
    I have the same problem. It's the worst feeling after a binge. Ive reached over 9000 calories several times because of my eatong disorder. I even went from having anorexia and being severly underweight to the point where I need to lose some weight. Maybe we can be friends on here and support each other? :)You can do this!
    Also, what tips has your doctor given you? I'm seeing mine next month because I just went two weeks ago and he just wants me to track my calories and emotions when I do binge. I have been binging everyday for the past two weeks also :/.
  • xdaysbingefree
    xdaysbingefree Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to sit down at a time where I am not in "binge-mode", and physically write down all my triggers that cause me to binge. Then I am supposed to come up with alternate solutions to these triggers, or find ways to avoid them all together.

She also said that since I'm so used to eating this way, it's going to be hard to break the habit, and it's going to be something that I have to work at. She really stressed the idea of taking it day by day.

This was all told to me during my general physical (I didn't make an appointment to specifically address this), so she said to make a specific appointment sometime in the beginning of May (when I finish my semester) if I feel like I am unable to make any progress.
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    First, don't feel ashamed. Be happy you are working towards getting this under control now while you are young and still in your normal weight range is great.

What do you binge on? Maybe you are missing some needed nutriants.

Also, how long do you go in between meals? I notice my binging went away when I actually started eating 5-6 times per day. Now I get hungry after a few hours, but just a little fills me up. Now I am to the point I can't even binge on holidays as I get full very fast. It does take a few months though to get to that point.

After you run, do you eat? It is recommended after hard workout to eat within 20 minutes. A carb and a protein.
  • gridder
    gridder Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You realize that simply eating 500 calories of food at once does not a binge make? I am more worried that you are taking a diet mentality and turning it into an eating disordered one, I did not look at the height/weight chart, but are you at a healthy weight for you? I don't mean what you'd like to weigh, but what is actually healthy for your height and age?

My guess is that you don't eat enough, you run 5 miles, and then you get really darn hungry. Make sure you are eating enough, fuel your body for exercise, and give yourself permission to eat when you need to. Just my 2 cents.
  • xdaysbingefree
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :) I definitely do sometimes try to restrict myself from eating because I feel like I've eaten too much, and this hunger/deprivation never ends well. I've been reading the message boards, and I'm going to give eating more frequently a try.

For the most part though, my "triggers" are not foods, they are social things like stress, anxiety etc.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I've just recently overcome binge eating as well.
  • xdaysbingefree
    Options
    You realize that simply eating 500 calories of food at once does not a binge make? I am more worried that you are taking a diet mentality and turning it into an eating disordered one, I did not look at the height/weight chart, but are you at a healthy weight for you? I don't mean what you'd like to weigh, but what is actually healthy for your height and age?

My guess is that you don't eat enough, you run 5 miles, and then you get really darn hungry. Make sure you are eating enough, fuel your body for exercise, and give yourself permission to eat when you need to. Just my 2 cents.

When I say binge I mean eating 500+ calories of food when I'm not even hungry. I'd approximate that I eat about 1800 without my bingeing, but maybe not. Logging my food will hopefully help me.
  • shari4045
    Options
    I am 38, 5'8" and 218lbs, my heaviest weight ever!! I'm tired of feeling so heavy and not fitting into any of my clothes. Over the last few months I have lost 20 lbs but gained it all back and have actually become a binge eater because of dieting. It's like I eat everything I can get my hands on telling myself that this is the last time but it never is. I have never been like this so I'm really scared that I wont be able to over come it. I need all of the help and support I can get and I'm ready to put my foot down. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Tracking your food meticulously will help a lot and give you better insight to triggers. You can even write your thoughts in your diary notes at the beginning of a binge. It might help nip it in the bud.

When I started here about four months ago, I was grazing mindlessly from 6 PM until I went to bed almost every night. I couldn't even guess how many calories I was consuming each evening. The behavior was compulsive and uncontrolled--at least meeting my personal definition for a 'binge.'

At first, I was really tentative about accomplishing much here, since I thought this behavior was so ingrained that it would be permanent. I won't say that this evening grazing is completely gone--on some nights it reasserts itself--but the pattern seems to be breaking.

So, use MFP as an accountability check--honestly log everything, even if it's embarrassing. And don't get into the trap of expecting perfection from yourself. It takes time to form new habits, and we all stumble at times.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    You need to obtain a counselor that specializes in eating disorders ASAP. The college student health center should have resources in this area as it is a common occurrence in college students, especially "newbies". It is possible to have more than one disorder at a time. I agree that 500 calories is not a binge. Most of the time, not even 1000 calories is a binge, because you can easily reach that by going out to dinner. Binge eating is when you eat several times a "normal" meal in one sitting.

I realize that you feel badly about this, but those feelings are part of the disorder.

The healthy weight range for a woman that is 5'4" is considered to be 116-145 pounds. I don't think your doctor would agree that shooting for the lower end of the spectrum is the best way to go. I guess if you wanted, you could set a goal of 130 which is generally considered the optimal weight for that height, but you really shouldn't be trying for 120 unless you have very specific reasons to do so. It will be way too easy to become underweight at that point. You want to give yourself some wiggle room. Did your doctor tell you to lose the weight?

Anyway, good luck, but definitely get a counselor. I've been working with mine for 2 years now, it's been very helpful.
  • Boshnivay
    Boshnivay Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am not really sure what my eating problem is, but I think that have one... I feel guilty whenever I eat any junk food (if I stray from a strict all-natural diet) and when I see overweight/larger people eating food that is highly processed I feel very uncomfortable and guilty for them. (It's not just guilt, but I really can't pinpoint the other feelings yet). I have struggled with food-related weight issues. Overeating, and not exercising because I didn't know any better. I was 5' 4" and getting to be about 170lbs in ninth grade. In tenth grade we started "cardio Wednesdays" in my gym class which triggered my weight loss, which led to me realizing I could do something about my body so I started restricting my calories (which I needed to do because I was eating too many). I continued exercising when I could. I learned more about what was the “right” thing to eat and I’ve been working towards cleaner eating from tenth grade, until now (a junior in college, 20 years old). However, I feel that I obsess over my food a lot, and I constantly stress about whether or not I have eaten too much or too little in a day, and how much nutrition I have or haven’t gotten during the day.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/dying-to-be-thin.html

I don’t believe that this move relates to me, but there is some scientific evidence in this movie that may help you with your bingeing (and for others with anorexia). If anyone wants to friend me, I am up for it, and we can have each other to talk to about food issues because it does help. :)
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Sorry, 5'5" is a healthy weight of 134. Weight range 119-149. You should be set to maintain.
  • astraea82
    astraea82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I too am trying to stop binge eating. This is very difficult, especially since I live literally across the street from a supermarket that is open until midnight. Waaay too convenient. But like someone else said, I am trying to eat more often. I am really trying to stick to foods that are filling and do not have too much sugar. I find that if I don't have the sugar taste in my system, I come to crave it less.

So far I've gone about two weeks. It was really hard to beat the cravings, but I try to distract myself when those hit. I've also thrown out almost all of my sweets. I am trying to focus on healthy living/eating. And trying to not make my life focus around food.

I tried going to a Food Addicts Anonymous meeting, but they turned me off because someone said that I didn't look like a food addict. I guess because I work out people assume I don't have eating problems.

Add me as a friend if you need motivation.
  • _VoV
    Options
    I am not really sure what my eating problem is, but I think that have one... I feel guilty whenever I eat any junk food (if I stray from a strict all-natural diet) and when I see overweight/larger people eating food that is highly processed I feel very uncomfortable and guilty for them. (It's not just guilt, but I really can't pinpoint the other feelings yet). I have struggled with food-related weight issues. Overeating, and not exercising because I didn't know any better. I was 5' 4" and getting to be about 170lbs in ninth grade. In tenth grade we started "cardio Wednesdays" in my gym class which triggered my weight loss, which led to me realizing I could do something about my body so I started restricting my calories (which I needed to do because I was eating too many). I continued exercising when I could. I learned more about what was the “right” thing to eat and I’ve been working towards cleaner eating from tenth grade, until now (a junior in college, 20 years old). However, I feel that I obsess over my food a lot, and I constantly stress about whether or not I have eaten too much or too little in a day, and how much nutrition I have or haven’t gotten during the day.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/dying-to-be-thin.html

I don’t believe that this move relates to me, but there is some scientific evidence in this movie that may help you with your bingeing (and for others with anorexia). If anyone wants to friend me, I am up for it, and we can have each other to talk to about food issues because it does help. :)

I know very little about this, but you might want to research the term 'orthorexia'.
  • Lollicat28
    Options
    I felt the same way when I was your age. You are already 5 lbs under my goal weight, haha ( I am also 5'5") You are at a healthy weight now, so it's good you are talking to your doctor (thumbs up for going the healthy route) I knew I had a binge problem when I was 16 but when everyone is telling you how small you are it's hard to make them understand. I was also a runner (seriously it was like looking back in time reading your story!). I still haven't gotten mine under control but it's not as bad as it use to be, unless I get my hands on some fudge rounds those things are EVIL, and my weakness. I try not to tell myself I can't have something because that will send me into a tail spin for sure, I try to only have whatever the portion size is on the package. So far it's working, I've lost a whooping 6lbs! Hey it's a start! Feel free to friend me if you think I can help.
  • stephelan
    Options
    I understand feeling gross after eating something unnecessary but 500ish calories doesn't really qualify as binge eating. You shouldn't stress yourself out about potentially having an eating disorder because this just seems like a bag of chips and a soda randomly. I mean, I've binge eaten multiple THOUSAND calories at a time with absolutely no control whatsoever, I WISH I could bring it down to 500. I mean, it sucks to add an extra 500 but please don't sweat that and call it an eating disorder. You'll only make things harder for yourself! (I would also suggest trying to lose a little less weight, you don't want to be too unhealthy!)
  • xdaysbingefree
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and friend request :) I really appreciate it
  • _VoV
    Options
    All this talk about a binge requiring a certain number of calories to qualify as one is new to me. I classify a binge as a compulsive, uncontrolled intake of food. For me, it can start innocently with a single nibble of food, but before I know it I'm going from one thing to another, eating fast, often in front of the refrigerator or cupboard.

The behavior feels impulsive. The feeling it gives me is more important than the number of calories consumed, since it is a pattern which feels awful and threatening to me.
  • xdaysbingefree
    Options
    All this talk about a binge requiring a certain number of calories to qualify as one is new to me. I classify a binge as a compulsive, uncontrolled intake of food. For me, it can start innocently with a single nibble of food, but before I know it I'm going from one thing to another, eating fast, often in front of the refrigerator or cupboard.

The behavior feels impulsive. The feeling it gives me is more important than the number of calories consumed, since it is a pattern which feels awful and threatening to me.

I completely agree! Even though I know the amount may not be that much, I still eat 500 calories of food that I don't need because I'm not even hungry, and I feel like I have no control over my urge to do so.