What is wrong with me?

Options
I do really well for a while and then I just go haywire and completely off track. Then I feel awful about myself and that makes it worse. Why can't I stay on track.

Replies

• terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It's called "self sabotage." You need to sit down in front of a mirror and have a good long talk with yourself. Heal thyself.
  • deepbluesea0822
    Options
    hmmmm... You're HUMAN!!! yep. It's true... You can NOT be perfect. Even if you try!! It's okay... so you had a wanky day... or couple of days... Just dust yourself off... and get back on the horse. Seriously! It's ok. And you're gonna be okay... A change in lifestyle is a daily choice. And you CAN do this!! HANG IN THERE!! :flowerforyou:
  • briocktj
    briocktj Posts: 128
    Options
    I feel your pain. I am the same way!!!
  • ybarbara
    Options
    We are all human and mess up from time to time. Think of what you would say to a friend who messed up. Be forgiving to yourself and encouraging. That and the support of others is the only thing that keeps me coming back and getting back on track.
  • ginagina43
    Options
    You are not alone. I do this vicious cycle too. It requires us both to change all the negative messages in our heads. We deserve to have the life, health and body that we truly want. Get back up, dust yourself off and begin again. We can do this!!
  • deluda
    deluda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a life-long commitment. There will always be periods of ups and downs. That's part of life. We will never be perfect all of the time. Get back on track after every episode and you'll find each one is less and less. Don't be too hard on yourself such that you would give up entirely.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    did yo u take a break from time to time?
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I do really well for a while and then I just go haywire and completely off track. Then I feel awful about myself and that makes it worse. Why can't I stay on track.
    I see thing this way: even with failures, every day you managed to stick to your plan is already an improvement when compared to the old you!
    And you can only do better next time by sticking to your plan even more.

I know this is definitely true for me.
  • terrysgirl0829
    terrysgirl0829 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! I lost 60 and gained back 30 in a matter of 5 months! It's like I do great and then fall really, really hard! I'm back at it, and like quitting smoking, I think it will take me a few attempts and failures before I lick this thing! (it's been over 10 years!) I pray for continued strength each day. I know I can't do it alone. : ) One thing I have learned is, don't do the "I'll start over on Monday" thing. Start fresh the very next day! Then you have only slipped up a little, and can get right back into it without hating yourself for days and getting back into old habits. YOU CAN DO THIS! Keep it up!!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I do the same. It's tough as hell. Food addiction is the worst. An alcoholic can choose never to have alcohol in his home again; a food addict still has to eat!!!

Just forgive yourself; move on. Learn from your mistakes. Keep plugging through! You can do it.
  • cashmore
    Options
    Just had one of those attacks but before going to mcdonalds and eating 3 bigmacs, went to the gym, all good now. Bigmacs didnt sound too good after working out.
  • lrnpage
    Options
    i'm the same :( i lost 14lbs, went out on a huge bender, consumed at least 5000-10000 calories in alcohol alone then had take away three nights in a row on top of my normal meals :'(
    i never understand why i do it, i just do!
  • scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I found that the only way we can keep ourselves on track is to track what made us fall off the edge in the first place. I found that my biggest issue is motivation. To keep me motivated I'll read a few success stories on here and that gives the boost I need to know I can do it too. :D

MFP is nice, you get your own cheering squad!