Sushi?

Options
I've been dying to try the Japanese/Sushi place in my college town since I moved here last year.

Any suggestions of diet-friendly dishes and ones to avoid?

Replies

• rachaelh84
    rachaelh84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know too, my gal pal and I love to get sushi and gossip :laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Search the food database for the rolls you like best, and plan your other meals around them.

To me, sushi is entirely too special to limit I eat to what is lowest in calories.
  • mbeach1977
    mbeach1977 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I usually go for the California roll and spicy tuna. Though most places put a mayo based sauce on their spicy tuna, my place does not. Those two seem the best calorie wise, don't get anything that says crunchy or have the mayo sauce stuff on them. Keep it simple!
  • TheVulcanLover
    TheVulcanLover Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Go for straight up rolls--salmon and avocado....tuna...yellowtail. AVOID ALL SPICY TUNA. The SPICY TUNA part INSIDE the roll contains mayo even if no sauce on top. I eat a lot of sushi. Just avoid the "mixed" stuff--go for straight up rice, fish and veggies:)
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you're willing, try going for sashimi, which is just slices of plain raw fish. I personally find it delicious and it's a lot lower in calories than rolls and sushi that include the sushi rice.

Don't let seaweed salad fool you. The oil is full of calories! If you like seaweed, look for toasted seaweed sheet snacks by brands like Beksul or Annie Chun's.
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    ask them to be light on the rice...and watch how much sodium and spicy mayo you consume.
  • ChanyRae
    ChanyRae Posts: 112
    Options
    I went out for sushi last weekend.....i ate mostly California rolls, cucumber, and asparagus rolls. I added a few pieces of shrimp tempura and vegetarian spring roll and managed to stay under calories.

Just research the database and plan ahead! Enjoy! :drinker:
  • mbeach1977
    mbeach1977 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Go for straight up rolls--salmon and avocado....tuna...yellowtail. AVOID ALL SPICY TUNA. The SPICY TUNA part INSIDE the roll contains mayo even if no sauce on top. I eat a lot of sushi. Just avoid the "mixed" stuff--go for straight up rice, fish and veggies:)

I've asked the place I go to and they just use a straight red pepper sauce, has NO mayo in it.