Probiotics

Options
Anybody use them or have recommendations? Is it worth it?

(I know that's a general question, but I don't even know where to start...)

Replies

• 2hungariangirls
    Options
    Do you watch Dr. Oz? Yesterday on this show (that would be Monday) he had a dr. on there talking about people having food allergies and not knowing it. These allergens were causing some people to not be able to lose weight. Anyway, they talked about doing a 3 week test and gave the steps on his website. The 2nd week they recommened probiotics to replace the "good" bacteria in your gut.
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily need probiotics to be healthy. They can help with digestion and protect you from illnesses.
    They can prevent and treat vaginal yeast infections, urinary tract infections and irritable bowel syndrome.

You can take probiotics by pill or capsule form or eat them in foods like yogurt and kefir or both.

Warning... sometimes probiotics cause gas or frequent bowl movements. This is normal. Usually your body will adjust and it will not be a problem for you.

I hope this helps.
  • anewme99
    Options
    first you need to evaluate whether you need them or not. If you have stomach pain, intestinal pain (cramping, bloating, gas, constipation or diarrhea), then they may help you....or you may have food allergies!
    I was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) 5 years ago. I have gained weight steadily since-no matter WHAT I did! Recently I started seeing a naturopathic doctor-who did allergy testing. Turns out I am allergic to many of my favorite foods! (figures!). Once I cut them from my diet I also cut out all my stomach pain and problems as well as my migraines, fatigue and mental foggy-ness! The testing was cheap (125.00) and worth every penny_and as you can see I am losing weight!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    first you need to evaluate whether you need them or not. If you have stomach pain, intestinal pain (cramping, bloating, gas, constipation or diarrhea), then they may help you....or you may have food allergies!
    I was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) 5 years ago. I have gained weight steadily since-no matter WHAT I did! Recently I started seeing a naturopathic doctor-who did allergy testing. Turns out I am allergic to many of my favorite foods! (figures!). Once I cut them from my diet I also cut out all my stomach pain and problems as well as my migraines, fatigue and mental foggy-ness! The testing was cheap (125.00) and worth every penny_and as you can see I am losing weight!

For some reason, it has never occurred to me that I might have a food allergy. I don't really have any allergies, so I don't think twice about that stuff... But the last couple weeks, I've just been feeling tired and out of it and my stomach has been... off? Anyway, I usually do a cleanse in January and thought about maybe following it up with probiotics this go-round if I do it again.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on why you would want to take it.

I take an Acidophilus capsule every day. I started it because I had (without going into detail) a lot of GI upset around Christmas and any time I ate out. I think it was because of the quality and quantity of food I was eating. It has really helped and I haven't had any trouble since starting it.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i do not go even one day of my life without probitics! they are the best best best - i have celiac and consistent digestive upsets - i thin they are worth every penny.

make sure to get a refrigerated one - "raw" for women are my fav - stocked in whoelfoods
  • ChanyRae
    ChanyRae Posts: 112
    Options
    I eat yogurt with probiotics in it everyday.....but if I've ever had an upset stomach, or bathroom issues lol, taking a probiotic supplement does wonders.
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    I keep a water kefir culture going and consume some every day in my breakfast smoothie. The good bacterial count is very high and it is a lot cheaper than buying probiotics. Water kefir is quite tasty and easy for even children to drink.

http://zoevblog.com/2010/03/17/what-is-water-kefir-and-how-to-make-it/
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    All I know is that when I eat Activia for more than two or three days in a row, I'm not constipated anymore! Sometimes it works a little too well...
  • tmontgomery69
    Options
    I have taken Renew Life's Ultimate Flora Crictical Care daily for many many years......I will not use anything else. It's what works for me. ;)
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have taken Renew Life's Ultimate Flora Crictical Care daily for many many years......I will not use anything else. It's what works for me. ;)

What does it do for you? Anything for energy and overall feeling more alert and active?
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options

this is my second choice after raw:)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Anybody use them or have recommendations? Is it worth it?

(I know that's a general question, but I don't even know where to start...)

I get probiotics from fermented foods such as Kombucha, Kefir (milk, coconut water and water), sauerkraut and kimchi.
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have IBS as well. When my stomach is acting up, or I've just gotten over a stomach bug, these work wonders for helping your intestines get back on track. I usually only need to take them for a week or so. I use Udo's Super 8 when I'm under the weather and keep a bottle of Udo's Adult probiotics when I just feel a little "off". They help me and have a larger variety of probiotics than yogurt and many keep for up to a year in the fridge.