Weight Lifting vs. Resistance Training

Options
Is there a difference in the results you will get if you do resistance training versus actual weight lifting? I'm just curious if there's a big difference or if you'll get similar results doing either one. Anyone know?

Replies

• abschool
    Options
    I think it might be the same thing. I know there's a difference between powerlifting and weight training, though. When you see bands being used, thats just lifting weights but with bands. It recruits more muscles though, or something like that.
  • PK_Martini
    Options
    I think you'll find they are the same thing. Unless you have a different definition of Resistance training that I do.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Technically weight lifting is resistance training. But I'll assume you are referring to either body weight resistance training or light weights.

The short answer is lift to what you are 'just' capable of, then when you are performing those exercises/weights with some level of comfort, make them heavier (add more resistance). If you can start with all body weight only exercises that is absolutely fine! It is a great point to perfect your technique and get your body accustomed to the movements with proper form before adding more weight.
  • emaitch
    Options
    Weight lifting is actually a form of resistance training, but resistance can also include bodyweight and bands, or anything that provides resistance against contracting muscles. Most people associate weight training with heavier dumbbells, barbells and weight machines. Put simply, the more weight you lift, the more muscle mass you'll develop (assuming you're getting enough nutrients), and if your goal is to put on muscle you'll do so more quickly with heavy weights than bands and bodyweight. But if your goal is muscle definition and slimming down, you can go a *long* way with high intensity bodyweight exercises, along with cardio. Disclaimer: I'm not a trainer, but I've trained seriously for two years now. I'm brand new to Myfitnesspal and I'm pretty impressed so far.
  • nikolaim5
    Options
    To the OP, could you explain what you mean by resistance training?