how much does hair weigh?

Options
Soooo, I have been off the wagon for a good month, not losing, but not gaining. Tring to limit calories but not doing it correctly- just hovering at 206.

So two days ago I decided enough dallying, it was time to get serious again. I re-set my goals and stuck to my calories for the last 2 days.

today I weighed and BOOM. 2 lbs gone. I do not think it is all weightloss, because yesterday I also got a haircut, and took off about 4 inches all over.

So my question is- how much is weightloss, and how much is hair-loss? :laugh:

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine hair weighing much more than a few ounces, even really thick hair. I would bet that most of it is weightloss, especially considering you recently changed things up. Sometimes tricking your metabolism can jump start your loss again.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I don't think much. Just a few ounces.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    lol, yeah, NOT 2 lbs, I can tell you that much LL! :wink:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Oh I am so happy you guys think so:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

it's the boost I was looking for :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    hahaha! that is all :wink: . congrats on getting back on the wagon!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    How long is it? Mine is down to my waist and extreamly thick. I have no idea how much it might weight but I'd love to know.
  • Skagirl
    Skagirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I love that you asked this. I often wonder when I step on the scale if I would reach my goal if I would just cut off all my hair. *lol* I don't think it weighs all that much.

Congrats on the loss!:drinker:
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Not to put a damper on things but don't forget to take into account that water weight can account for up to 2lbs...stick to it regardless...I and many other on here are living proof that it works!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    I had really long hair, then I took 2 inches at a time and brought it up to about bra-strap level. Then yesterday I took four more inches so the longest part is just at shoulder level, and layered all over.

the pile of hair on the floor was pretty shocking (to me), but my guess is it might have weighed maybe 1/2 pound? maybe?

IDK but all I can say is I am soooo happy to see the scale moving again!!!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    How long is it? Mine is down to my waist and extreamly thick. I have no idea how much it might weight but I'd love to know.

it probably weighs a lot less than a lb. go lift up a lb of butter if you have one in your kitchen. i know my hair does NOT weigh that much and it is pretty longggg.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    my hair goes about half way down my back and its thick.
    it weighs a pound. :bigsmile:

4 inches of hair doesnt weigh 2 pounds, i PROMISE.
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    Momma talking, start running again lazy!

don't send hate messages, I am her momma! Snap out of your slump! You brought me here to all the loving kind people who surround me daily!:grumble: So If I can put up with it you better deliver too, Glamour Shots here we come! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    lighten up- how did you find out how much your hair weighs? just curious..:flowerforyou:

and because this came to mind... question to all...
    in the beginning, I dropped weight FAST. like 4-5 lbs per week for the first three weeks. is it possible that since I have been being so lame lately, this re-start will be like that initial few weeks? God I hope so!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

don't send hate messages, I am her momma! Snap out of your slump! You brought me here to all the loving kind people who surround me daily!:grumble: So If I can put up with it you better deliver too, Glamour Shots here we come! :heart: :heart: :heart:

ya ya ya I will- going to the gym today.

sheesh- you think it's a good idea to bring your Mom on board, then she is there to check up on you:grumble: :laugh:
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options

ya ya ya I will- going to the gym today.

sheesh- you think it's a good idea to bring your Mom on board, then she is there to check up on you:grumble: :laugh:

:smooched: :heart: :smooched: :heart:
  • bk325f
    bk325f Posts: 9
    Options
    I had long thick hair (mid-back) & when it was wet (towel dried) it added about 2 pounds to my weight. When it's dry, it really just weighs a few ounces. I had it cut off 2 years ago for a surgery & am growing it back out. It really doesn't impact my weight at all, although I'd like to think it does.

I'm guessing that it's more a combination of weight loss, water weight, and possibly the time of day. My weight fluctuates during the day & from day to day. It's not good to weigh yourself everyday, try hopping on that scale just once every 2 weeks, so you can get a better feel for progress. If you stick to the calories & carb limits, the weight should come off slowly but surely. If you struggle with keeping below your calorie limits, then take that dog for another walk, I'm sure he/she won't mind walking another mile. :)