P90X newbie question

Options
I am want to start doing P90X but I want to keep the muscle that I have from weight lifting for many years. Does anyone have any suggestions on what they do? Or does anyone modify the routine somehow? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• thesuperchunk
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand exactly. Are you going to stop going to the gym? What's your goal with P90x? Are you on a calorie deficit?

I think if you are switching from the gym to P90x you will see a decrease in strength and probably in bulk as well. The only thing you can really do is try to lift as heavy and intensly as possible while doing the routine. Can I ask why you would switch to P90x? It isn't really a great program for strength building or bulking, much more about athletic/functional fitness.
  • rvagnoni
    rvagnoni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post thesuperchunk. I am looking to start P90 x because although I have gained much strength and size from hitting the gym I also I gaining more weight in my midsection. I can't seem to lose it doing just cardio at the gym. I have a few friends who have lost many pounds with P90x so I would like to give it a try.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    A guy I worked with stopped doing it because he lost a lot of strength. He was fit to begin with and his exact quote was, "I was in the best cardio shape of my life, but I lost all my strength."
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Your friend did it wrong then.
  • thesuperchunk
    Options
    Well you are sort of entering tricky territory where bodybuilders nit pick like crazy. It's very hard to maintain muscle mass while on a caloric deficit - eventually you will be eating into muscle and lose bulk. This is why bodybuilders do a builk and then a VERY careful cut, often acompanied by quasi legal supplements. So basically you need to decide on a route and take it. If you are going to 'cut' you need to accept that you will likely lose some muscle mass. I would say doing P90x is a good way to maintain your physique but there is no reason not to keep going to the gym. If you want to cut it comes down to diet, diet, diet. The exercise you do will be largely irrelevant. You can burn 500 calories lifting weights or 500 calories doing P90x - it doesn't matter. And the strength you maintain will come down to how careful you with your diet.

I would just recommend googling "maintain muscle during cut", "diet while cutting" etc... and read up and come up with a plan of attack.
  • thefuzz1290
    Options

No he didn't. When you're already strong, you don't get stronger on bench by doing a bunch of push ups. They're two different muscle fibers.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Hmm, my overall strength and endurance improved .
  • thefuzz1290
    Options
    Hmm, my overall strength and endurance improved .

I'm not saying your strength wouldn't improve, especially if you're still new at training. My friend was benching 300lbs+, as I said strong.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    That is the thing, I am not new at training or lifting weights.

I know that I lost inches in certain areas. My strength in my overall body improved and my endurance improved. I am a firm believer in altering your routines as your body adjusts to your routines. I did p90x and went back to weight lifting, it took me two weeks to get back to the weights I was at and then had some personal bests in bench, squats, and shoulder presses. My overall fitness and flexibility also improved.

Give it a go, what have you got to lose. 90 days of intense training.
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Do your best and forget the rest.

You perhaps may lose some muscle mass while changing your routine but your overall fitness will improve greatly. That is the main focus to this and any other program out there. Unless your training for the world strongest man or Mr. Universe, I would prefer the benifets of p90x or insanity over strict lifting any day.
  • mamatoboys6219
    mamatoboys6219 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think when people do p90x, they look awesome! I dont know your overall body type, but I do know that p90x has three different difficulty levels. I am doing the p90x Lean..for losing weight and toning. There is a p90x Classic and a version that people do when they have been in it a while. Those are the ones that are more bulky. If I were you, if you are skeptical, and dont want to waste your money is looking them up on beachbody.com to see what the workouts are called...then on Youtube.com...there are ppl on youtube that will show the entire workouts. Maybe try them out for a few weeks so you dont have to buy it.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    No he didn't. When you're already strong, you don't get stronger on bench by doing a bunch of push ups. They're two different muscle fibers.

Buddy, I suggest you to grab an anatomy/physiology book and check out the upper body muscle. Pecs or Pectoralis Major in this case are the same whether you do push ups or bench press. The difference in those two exercises is the intensity based on the weight used and what other muscles (synergistic muscles) get involved in the motion for stabilization purposes. Because bench press is usually free weight, you use another range of muscles to avoid the bar swinging around, unlike push ups, which you don't have the same issue.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It's very hard to maintain muscle mass while on a caloric deficit - eventually you will be eating into muscle and lose bulk.
    So basically you need to decide on a route and take it. If you are going to 'cut' you need to accept that you will likely lose some muscle mass. I would say doing P90x is a good way to maintain your physique but there is no reason not to keep going to the gym. If you want to cut it comes down to diet, diet, diet. The exercise you do will be largely irrelevant. You can burn 500 calories lifting weights or 500 calories doing P90x - it doesn't matter.
    I agree with this, but I would like to point out that I don't think its feasible to do P90X AND the gym, unless you are just doing the cardio parts of P90X (plyo, yoga, etc.) and your own weight lifting... otherwise you wouldn't be giving your muscles much rest. I personally really enjoyed P90X: it made me feel more "cut" and when I went back into the gym, it took a couple of weeks but I was able to do more reps AND higher weight
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    I am want to start doing P90X but I want to keep the muscle that I have from weight lifting for many years. Does anyone have any suggestions on what they do? Or does anyone modify the routine somehow? Thanks in advance.

You will lose muscle IF you don't eat enough protein and you don't use enough weight to keep you between the 8 to 10 reps (sometimes I even increase the weight so I don't do more than 6 reps) and IF you don't push yourself to your limit. When it comes about push ups and pull ups, you can either get yourself a weighted vest so you increase the intensity, and trust me, there's no way you'll lose strength or muscle mass this way.

In my experience, I've gained a little bit of muscle mass even when my goal was just to burn the fat. Like I said, it all had to do with proper nutrition and using as much weight as possible.
  • lerchfighter
    Options
    I'm about to turn 48 and have been doing P90X for almost two years. I was a big body builder in college so I've seen both sides of the fence. I think if you did P90X for one or two cycles or even did it for one cycle, went back to your lifting routine for 30 days and then hit it again for another cycle, you'd maintain your original mass and strength for the most part. Part of what P90X does is ramp up your metabolism by about week 6 to where you really start shedding the excess fat....so much so that if you're maintaining your caloric intake you almost can't not lose the fat.

For someone with good muscle mass and excess fat, you're going to have a trade off of loosing a little bulk but a lot of fat. For someone who's got too much fat and no muscle , it takes care of both. I really think if you did the P90X and set MFP at a reasonable weight loss goal, you'd be pleased with the results. One of the big benefits of P90X is that it also helps your cardio and flexibility...something middle agers need to focus on.

Hope this helps.
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    I do have to agree with lerchfighter, you'll lose a little bulk since you'll be losing fat. It is impossible to lose fat and stay the same size in regards to how bulky you might look now.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Exactly, if your friend lost all his strength doing p90x he was doing something horribly wrong. Because if you notice... there are several weight lifting sections in which Tony Horton will tell you time and time again to do the weight you need to do in order to acheive the results you want to acheive.

In other words: if you want to get bigger and/or keep muscle you already have: Lift heavier weight with fewer reps.
    If you want to maintain and tone: Lift a good amount of weight that allows you to do around 10-12 reps.

The last three reps should always be difficult for you, if not, you need to go up in weight.

p90x is an amazing program and it caters to whatever you have in mind. Tony mixes up the DVDs depending on whether you're doing the Lean Routine, Mass Routine, etc...

My dad and I went through all 13 weeks together (although he had been doing it for years as his regular workout) and I lost 6% body fat and he lost 12% and we weren't even doing the meal plan. That's BODY FAT NOT Lean Muscle Mass.

Do the program just like Tony tells you to and you'll get GREAT results!
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I have been doing P90X for 5 years and have never had any issues with bulking up when I want to using the system.

Give it a try and see what happens.

I only lost muscle mass when doing Insanity workouts, but I was looking to lean out anyway.