thyroid problem

Options
Is there anyone who has a thyriod problem and what are things to help it. next time I go to the docs I'm going to have my tested.I'm have some signs in thyroid problem. Thanks

Replies

• Embell0830
    Options
    I have a thyroid issue, mine is underactive. I'm on levoxyl. Mine is controlled by a little pill I take every morning before breakfast. For the longest time my peditrician told my mom I just need to exercise more that my level was just slightly off, nothing to worry about. As an adult, my endocrinologist who treats me for PCOS told me that was a load of crap and I should have been put on medication.

Ask to see your results and don't be afraid to ask questions. I've had some bad doctors in the past and I have a lot of medical issues. Asking questions is how I found the good doctors.
  • Meseebee
    Meseebee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would be willing to bet a lot of folks on here have thyroid problems. I myself have had some serious thyroid issues so I am not sure what you think might be a problem for you specifically. If you think you have a thyroid issue but are not sure I would encourage you to see your doctor right away and not wait. I ended up having such serious issues that I needed surgery and it has significantly affected my weight and overall health. If you can be more specific as to what support you want, I am happy to tell you what I know.
  • robinhoward123
    robinhoward123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well I heard someone talk about how it controls your metabolism. So i looked it up and did some research on it, I have so thing that would point to a (don't know the word) low working tyroid. For so long I've always felt tired( I could sleep all night and still wake up to want to sleep another 4 hours), out of the blues I get the shakes, light headed, loss of hair, ( wash my hair and every time I would get a hand and a half of hair), always over weight, hardly ever loss any weight, a normal body temp for me 97.3, recurrent sinus infections, always bad headachs, forgetful, ect...
    I've had these signs for awhile,I just never thought to put them together.
  • robinhoward123
    Options
    Can anyone help is there a vitamin I can take to help?
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    no you have to have a prescribed drug! i have thyroid issues, you have to get you blood checked to find out if you have it and then they will decide if you go on meds or not.
  • red_jess
    red_jess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi there

There are some supplements that claim to help with thyroid function, but I would be incredibly careful with this. If your doctor does the blood tests and finds that your thyroid function is fine and you're just looking to maintain normal thyroid health, your doc might look to see if you're getting enough iodine in your diet (most of us get enough from iodised salt, seafood and seaweed). The problem is that you can't play around with iodine - if you're getting too little or too much, it can really mess with your thyroid function, so you *have* to get your doctor's advice on this. (You might remember some years ago that folks who took a seaweed supplement ended up giving themselves thyroid problems!)

If your thyroid isn't functioning properly (underactive or overactive), no dietary change is going to make a real difference - only medication will address that. It's a case of getting the blood tests done, then finding the right level of medication to get you back in the normal range. Your doc will do blood work each time (for me, that's usually about six weeks after the medication dose has changed) to see where you're at.

That said, while I can't speak for everyone with thyroid problems, once you've got hormone levels under control there's no reason why you can't lose weight, if you stick to a healthy eating plan and do some exercise. I've found MFP hugely helpful.

Good luck!
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have no thyroid and take synthroid. Make sure your dr checks everything, not just your TSH.
  • mkath4
    mkath4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have been hypothyroid (underactive) since I was 18. I am 43 now. I take one pill a day, levoxyl. You need to have this monitored through your doc. Blood tests will be done to determine your TSH levels. I get mine checked once a year now, but have been on the same dose for the last 20 years.
  • robinhoward123
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • Meseebee
    Meseebee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well I heard someone talk about how it controls your metabolism. So i looked it up and did some research on it, I have so thing that would point to a (don't know the word) low working tyroid. For so long I've always felt tired( I could sleep all night and still wake up to want to sleep another 4 hours), out of the blues I get the shakes, light headed, loss of hair, ( wash my hair and every time I would get a hand and a half of hair), always over weight, hardly ever loss any weight, a normal body temp for me 97.3, recurrent sinus infections, always bad headachs, forgetful, ect...
    I've had these signs for awhile,I just never thought to put them together.

So this sounds a lot like what I have - Graves' disease. The weird thing about Graves' is that it is actually an overactive thyroid but the symptoms are a lot like underactive in my opinion. I actually had the low body temp too and never realized that could be related. That is so interesting - perhaps I had this disease longer than I thought. I went untreated for about 4 years until finally I had enough symptoms that I went to the doc with irregular menstrual cycles. She thought it was nothing but did a thyroid test anyway. Guess she was wrong because it was pretty serious when they found it with me. I also have not found any supplements that have been shown to be helpful. I have been able to lose some weight once my hormone levels got figured out. I was not able to lose any weight on Tapozole with was a med that prevented my thyroid from working. Once I went off that - and had my thyroid taken out completely - I was able to lose some weight (I think about 5 lbs). Now I am back to struggling a little with being too hungry to keep within my calories. I don't know that this has helped you at all, but hey - I tried. :wink: