Latte anyone? Need a milk alternative w/o suger...

I have tried almond milk, soy milk, powdered ripped cream and more. I have yet to find a decent milk alternative to keep the fat, calories and sugar way down low and still have an awesome latte in the morning. I mean 12g of sugar for a cup of nonfat milk?

Ideas anyone?

Signed,

Jonesing for a good latte

Replies

• junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    What kind of almond milk did you try? I use almond milk, but I get the unsweetend vanilla flavor. I'm not a fan of just plain unsweetened.
  • petey247
    petey247 Posts: 9 Member
    I fill a 20oz coffee mug each day with 1/4 c. frothed 1% milk, 1 1/2 c. hot water, 3 shots of fresh brewed espresso and a heaping T. of Splenda. My latte runs around 60 calories and tastes close enough to keep me happy with the 'food trade'. Making it at home with a stove top espresso pot sure saves me a bundle of money too.

Start with a higher milk (or milk substitute) content if you make your own and gradually decrease the it over time as you get used to the taste. I ordered a 'real' latte from Starbucks last week and was surprised at how much my taste has altered. It was like drinking cheesecake from a cup it was so rich, and once I logged it, the calories matched the taste. I'm glad I made the switch. I've learned to really appreciate the roast instead of the fat.
  • I also use unsweetened vanilla almond milk..it's also only 35 calories per serving (Silk). Try using Coconut Palm Sugar for a natural sweetener, it's low glycymic and much better for you.
  • Another option is to make your own. This gives you the control over how much sweetener is added to the milk that you're making. Soy milk can be made without any special equipment, although a soy milk machine does make it easier. There are tons of different recipes out there that you can use as a place to start from and experiment until you find what fits your tastes best.
  • zoeelizabeths
    zoeelizabeths Posts: 93 Member
    Is there a specific reason you want to use a milk alternative? I use organic non-fat milk, it's only 60 calories for a whole cup, and I just steam it and add it to two shots of espresso. I also use sugar free syrup from Torani if I want some sweetness.