anyone else out there eating right, excersising like they sh

Options
HELP
:sad: I am feeling a bit low. I have been eating right, excersising like wonder woman 5 times a week for an hour, drinking lots of water. logging all my food and eating some of my leftover calories after excersising and still only 2 pounds lost in months.

I dont get what I am doing wrong? I have had my thyroid checked. It is fine. I dont get why Im not losing weight!? Anyone else in the same boat? Have any good suggestions? Thanks

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Open your diary-- we don't know what "eating right" means to you. :) We need to see your calorie goals, what you're eating, and whether you're eating exercise calories.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, you will get better advice.
  • sunflowerhcb
    Options
    now the diary is opened. sorry forgot that part.
  • liesl78
    Options
    Are you measuring yourself? Maybe you're gaining muscle - which won't make much of a difference on the scale. But you are losing inches.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    looking at your past two days everything there is extremely processed, no fresh veggies, fruits or non processed meats
    (i saw cheese cake in there somewhere too....yum!)

eat real food, rather than meal replacement stuff, fills you up, and its more satisfying.
    just my 2 cents
  • cshine06
    cshine06 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Watch your sugar and carb intake closely. Avoid as much food out the box as possible, preferably 85% unprocessed foods and your scale will move. Research paleo.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Change your settings to show you your sugar and sodium intake.
    I know you think you're eating right, but to me it just looks like sweets and peanut butter all day. Just because it's under your protein and fat category does not make it healthy, sustainable or conducive to weight loss.

Eat fresh foods! Vegetables, legumes, lean proteins, fruits, whole grains, etc.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    If I may be respectful but honest... I checked out your diary and while you are in fact staying under your calorie goal, you have some room to improve food quality.

It is great that you are watching your portions! This is a huge step. However, I think your next big step is to back away from some of your packaged and pre-made foods -- even the "diet" type foods like the South Beach bars, Skinny Cow chocolates, etc. Those all have a ton of sodium (not to mention other chemical stuff you don't really want) and can make you retain water, which will appear as scale weight.

Almost everything is fine in moderation if you really like it, but it seems like these products are making up an overwhelming daily proportion of your diet. If you start to make small changes and swap some of these out for foods closer to their natural states, you may well have a "whoosh" where you lose water you've been retaining due to all the sodium.

You should also try to add in some vegetables and fruits to your diet. The fiber and nutrients will do a lot to improve your well-being, and maybe the fiber will make you "go." It's kind of gross to consider, but you could have a couple of pounds of stuff just "backed up" because of your current low fiber levels.

Good luck!! I have had my best successes when I ate tons and tons of produce and let the rest sort of come together around fruits and vegetables as the cornerstone of my diet.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating. I'm in the same exact boat. I'm doing what you are doing, eating healthy, working out, drinking water, limiting alchohol consumption, etc.. I actually feel guilty eating back my exercise calories, but I'm doing the best I can. My scale has actually increased and hasn't gotten down in two weeks.

The good news is that my clothes do feel looser. And I'll bet yours do too! Besides, stop worrying about the scale. Don't you feel healthier and better in general for all the good you're doing lately? Sometimes the victory isn't in the numbers, it's in you.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I know you think you're eating right, but to me it just looks like sweets and peanut butter all day. Just because it's under your protein and fat category does not make it healthy, sustainable or conducive to weight loss.

^what she said.
    too much sourdough bread, too much cup of noodles, too much Caramel Macchiatos ... you need fresh food. your sodium intake maybe through the roof
  • cuteness81104
    cuteness81104 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have th same problem I eat all organic fresh foods I eat a ton of veggies they are my fav food lean meats and I only ever drink water I work out 8hrs a week min both cadio and strength mixing it up and yet I can lose weight and my pants are still as tight as before I eat virtually no sugars and never add salt to anything I only eat whole wheat whole grain foods and yet no movement on the scale
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me. Been eating pretty clean and working out hard since the beginning of December, but hadn't lost since end of December, so about 3 weeks ... but then one of my MFPs said eat more fat, so I readjusted my macros... a week later, lost 1.5 lbs! :] Sometimes our bodies need a little more of something and/or a little less of something else.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If I may be respectful but honest... I checked out your diary and while you are in fact staying under your calorie goal, you have some room to improve food quality.

It is great that you are watching your portions! This is a huge step. However, I think your next big step is to back away from some of your packaged and pre-made foods -- even the "diet" type foods like the South Beach bars, Skinny Cow chocolates, etc. Those all have a ton of sodium (not to mention other chemical stuff you don't really want) and can make you retain water, which will appear as scale weight.

Almost everything is fine in moderation if you really like it, but it seems like these products are making up an overwhelming daily proportion of your diet. If you start to make small changes and swap some of these out for foods closer to their natural states, you may well have a "whoosh" where you lose water you've been retaining due to all the sodium.

You should also try to add in some vegetables and fruits to your diet. The fiber and nutrients will do a lot to improve your well-being, and maybe the fiber will make you "go." It's kind of gross to consider, but you could have a couple of pounds of stuff just "backed up" because of your current low fiber levels.

Good luck!! I have had my best successes when I ate tons and tons of produce and let the rest sort of come together around fruits and vegetables as the cornerstone of my diet.
    well said and totally agree :smile:
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    One more thing... I see in your diary that there are several days where you've ostensibly burned 700, 900, 1000 calories from exercise. Are you *sure* you are burning that many? What activities are you doing, and on what are you basing your burn? Gym machines notoriously over-calculate burn rates, and even some of MFP's calculations overestimate. For example, it takes about a 10-mile run to burn 1000 calories -- an average turn on the elliptical trainer, etc. does not really compare.

You may not be burning as much as you think, and you may be inadvertently eating back all of the caloric deficit you would need to lose weight.

Just one more suggestion on places to look. I hope this comes off as helpful rather than critical, because it is intended as the former! We all hit plateaus and it is very frustrating, so I am just sharing some places where I have had to improve myself in the past to get past them!
  • osorio1
    Options
    Hang in there i am in the same boat too!! Gotta keep motivating myself to keep going cuz i am sooo ready to throw in the towel. Still playing with my cals to see when the weight lose will start. Dont give up though eventually the weight should start coming off. I tell myself that too. :)
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    I would suggest more fresh foods, veggies and fruits. I would even add a glass of fresh non fat organic milk to your dinner everynight. The calcium and healthy fats are good for you!
  • dealluver
    dealluver Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me...so I cut the junk and the unhealthy carbs, white flour, sugar, starches. Started dropping weight immediately. It's hard, but worth it.
  • jwenick
    jwenick Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You're not alone.....I'm also going through this but I'm plundering on....I figure the weight has to come off at one point -- However, I DID measure myself....while I have not lost any weight, I've gone down 1 1/2" in my waist. Measure yourself and see if anything's changed.....
  • sunflowerhcb
    Options
    One more thing... I see in your diary that there are several days where you've ostensibly burned 700, 900, 1000 calories from exercise. Are you *sure* you are burning that many? What activities are you doing, and on what are you basing your burn? Gym machines notoriously over-calculate burn rates, and even some of MFP's calculations overestimate. For example, it takes about a 10-mile run to burn 1000 calories -- an average turn on the elliptical trainer, etc. does not really compare.

You may not be burning as much as you think, and you may be inadvertently eating back all of the caloric deficit you would need to lose weight.

Just one more suggestion on places to look. I hope this comes off as helpful rather than critical, because it is intended as the former! We all hit plateaus and it is very frustrating, so I am just sharing some places where I have had to improve myself in the past to get past them!

thank you! Very well said
  • feduh86
    feduh86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options

^what she said.
    too much sourdough bread, too much cup of noodles, too much Caramel Macchiatos ... you need fresh food. your sodium intake maybe through the roof

100% agree with these, snack on the veggies n fruits instead of ice cream n peanut butter, treat yourself wit that stuff once in a while but not often, hopefully this helps =) All the best