Abs?

Options
Does anyone know of any ab workouts that really work?? Right now, I only do planks. I have seen some improvement from that alone, but I'd really like to find other exercises to do with that. I also don't want to do videos.

Replies

• Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You need weights, kettle bells.......... xx Try youtube.. there are loads of different ways to use them, but personally I they dont like me and always try and knock me out.. LOL xxx
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by "work". Do you mean you want a stronger core or you want "dat 6-pack?" Because the latter comes from a low body-fat percentage.
  • MimosaMay
    Options
    Personally, to achieve strength and definition in *all* areas of your trunk/abs, I think you need a dynamic full range of motion. No single exercise (example: crunchies, situps, planks) is going to give you washboard abs because you have different muscles that make up the "washboard".

I have been VERY successful with kickboxing. The combination of movement has defined my entire abdomen and I am extremely happy with the result. This becomes a combination of: front/side/back kicks, side-punches with a twist, leg-lifts/side raises, situps, etc.

Here is an excerp from the "SuperAbs Resource Manual" by Len Kravitz, Ph.D.
    http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/abdominal.html <-- CHECK OUT THIS LINK

"Choose between 5 to 10 [ab] exercises, combining spinal flexion, rotation, and lateral flexion exercises. Perform 8 repetitions of each exercise before going on to the next exercise. Every 2-3 weeks, you are advised to vary your workout (refer above for ways in which to vary your program). "

"Can I work the abdominal muscles daily?
    Make sure you train them at least 3 - 5 days per week, with a daily workout being permissible. Unlike other muscles, you rarely fatigue the abdominal muscles enough so that they need an additional day to recover. This is because you are always working with the weight of your torso, in a limited range of motion, as compared to other exercises which may challenge the muscles with progressively heavier resistance. In practice, it actually makes sense to do some type of abdominal strengthening exercise on a daily basis to try and counteract the excessive tightening of your lower back muscles and hip flexors. Just because you may work the abdominals regularly, there should be no fear that these muscles will get too big. In fact, the abdominals are very thin muscles compared to other muscles, such as the deltoids, gluteals, hamstrings, biceps, and quadriceps. So, unless you are progressively overloading these muscles with additional external resistance, such as ab machines, it is unlikely that the abs will become “too thick.”

Best of Luck!

-MimosaMay
  • annie24342
    annie24342 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by "work". Do you mean you want a stronger core or you want "dat 6-pack?" Because the latter comes from a low body-fat percentage.

I want both haha
  • annie24342
    Options

http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/abdominal.html <-- CHECK OUT THIS LINK

"Choose between 5 to 10 [ab] exercises, combining spinal flexion, rotation, and lateral flexion exercises. Perform 8 repetitions of each exercise before going on to the next exercise. Every 2-3 weeks, you are advised to vary your workout (refer above for ways in which to vary your program). "

Make sure you train them at least 3 - 5 days per week, with a daily workout being permissible. Unlike other muscles, you rarely fatigue the abdominal muscles enough so that they need an additional day to recover. This is because you are always working with the weight of your torso, in a limited range of motion, as compared to other exercises which may challenge the muscles with progressively heavier resistance. In practice, it actually makes sense to do some type of abdominal strengthening exercise on a daily basis to try and counteract the excessive tightening of your lower back muscles and hip flexors. Just because you may work the abdominals regularly, there should be no fear that these muscles will get too big. In fact, the abdominals are very thin muscles compared to other muscles, such as the deltoids, gluteals, hamstrings, biceps, and quadriceps. So, unless you are progressively overloading these muscles with additional external resistance, such as ab machines, it is unlikely that the abs will become “too thick.”

Best of Luck!

-MimosaMay

This was very helpful!!! Thanks!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Cal deficit is the answer to definition-- burn body fat and it will reveal muscle all over-- including abs. Abs are often the last to be seen as many of us store the most fat there. Core workouts help stabilize and are good to have, but you already have muscles... you just want to see em.

Yup, getting the defined ab look is all about body fat percentage. Lowering body fat is done by eating at a calorie deficit.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    This site: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/tone.html has sample videos of different workouts. Just look for ab workouts to find ideas. This isn't a video workout site, the videos are to show you how to do the exercises at the gym or at home.
  • annie24342
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This was SO helpful!!!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Yep, bodybuilders have a saying: "abs are made in the kitchen" (Not that I've ever seen mine) :smile:
  • c_gilmore
    Options
    Try the bender ball method. http://www.benderball.com/ it really gives your abs a work out. The first week had my abs trembling.
  • gloriashaped
    Options
    I found the "bicycle" move-elbow to opposite knee. I do about 300 of them after each workout. Also, I hold a 30 pound weight and do upper body lift from floor, about 20-30 reps.
  • jeffrey2584
    jeffrey2584 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Ab ripper on P90x and p90x plus
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    tuck jumps and burpees
  • KariePerez
    Options
    Yep the 10 Minute Solution: Rapid Results Pilates instructor Lara Hudson. I did it once this week and its the only workout that actually made me feel it the next day!
  • Does anyone know of any ab workouts that really work?? Right now, I only do planks. I have seen some improvement from that alone, but I'd really like to find other exercises to do with that. I also don't want to do videos.

Jillian Michaels has a workout DVD called "No more trouble zones" also a newer one called "6 week six-pack" I have almost all of her dvds but unfortunately have only ever used "30 day shred". Each time I use the 30 day shred I put so much into it that I cannot workout (or move) for the rest of the week. It's sad because I do level 1 and get up to day 3 and cannot do anything else for the rest of the week. Moving is painful for me ... I need to remember quality not quantity!

Anyway, you can look into her new 6 week six-pack dvd maybe that'll help :) ...
  • gtunlimited
    gtunlimited Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    try jack pushups, moving pushups. plank running, bicycle sit ups, leg lifts. and i recommend pull ups, i find they really hit the abs because you have to stabilise yourself constantly. but like everyone said its how you eat and calorie deficite, cutting body fat percentage that will let you see em
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Personally, to achieve strength and definition in *all* areas of your trunk/abs, I think you need a dynamic full range of motion. No single exercise (example: crunchies, situps, planks) is going to give you washboard abs because you have different muscles that make up the "washboard".

I have been VERY successful with kickboxing. The combination of movement has defined my entire abdomen and I am extremely happy with the result. This becomes a combination of: front/side/back kicks, side-punches with a twist, leg-lifts/side raises, situps, etc.

Best of Luck!

-MimosaMay
    As a kickboxing instructor, I can truly say that I MAYBE directly do ab work once a month? As stated above, with all the lifting of your leg in kickboxing, your abs are automatically engaged.
    And I DON'T have my clients do weighted ab exercises either. Just body weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    www.myomytv.com
    www.bodyrock.tv
    www.diet.com

these are pretty cool sites you might find something useful there.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    <---Doesn't really do alot of ab work.

Wow a gazillion different and interesting answers. Here's my answer

1. There are none, for all intents and purposes. I mean abs do what all muscles do. Contract and relax. Hypertrophy comes with overload and proper intake. You're trying to build muscle? Are you eating to build muscle? But you want to see your abs, so you're eating to lose fat? How does one do that? See the first dilemma? It's not if the exercise "works", they all do. The real question for the OP and so many others, is does your goal/expectations work with what you're eating?

2. Ab work is severely overrated. It's just not needed really. If you do a proper workout that works in the major movement patterns while holding stable, such as squats, presses, rows, deads, etc. Your abs will get plenty of work. There in lies the dilemma, for try to find someone who can properly teach you this. Other than that, top it off with some basic crunches, bicycles, reverse crunches or knee raises, any full range of motion movements. They all generally work the same way. It's all marketing. I've written once about abs on my site, check it out.

3. Every body wants to do a million ab exercises but don't want to balance that out with proper back/posterior chain work. I.e. deadlifts, rows, squats, etc. We don't want to do a proper leg squat, but we want THE MOST PROPER ab routine!!! Fitness industry marketing nonsense.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of any ab workouts that really work?? Right now, I only do planks. I have seen some improvement from that alone, but I'd really like to find other exercises to do with that. I also don't want to do videos.

Jillian Michaels has a workout DVD called "No more trouble zones" also a newer one called "6 week six-pack" I have almost all of her dvds but unfortunately have only ever used "30 day shred". Each time I use the 30 day shred I put so much into it that I cannot workout (or move) for the rest of the week. It's sad because I do level 1 and get up to day 3 and cannot do anything else for the rest of the week. Moving is painful for me ... I need to remember quality not quantity!

Anyway, you can look into her new 6 week six-pack dvd maybe that'll help :) ...
    yea that's called being injured! And revving up the hormones in your body that says hey she's out in the wilderness having to fight for her life. And she's eating how many calories? We may need to protect our stored energy.