anyone else out there eating right, excersising like they sh

Options

Replies

• sunflowerhcb
    Options
    Hang in there i am in the same boat too!! Gotta keep motivating myself to keep going cuz i am sooo ready to throw in the towel. Still playing with my cals to see when the weight lose will start. Dont give up though eventually the weight should start coming off. I tell myself that too. :)

thank you!
  • sunflowerhcb
    Options
    One more thing... I see in your diary that there are several days where you've ostensibly burned 700, 900, 1000 calories from exercise. Are you *sure* you are burning that many? What activities are you doing, and on what are you basing your burn? Gym machines notoriously over-calculate burn rates, and even some of MFP's calculations overestimate. For example, it takes about a 10-mile run to burn 1000 calories -- an average turn on the elliptical trainer, etc. does not really compare.

You may not be burning as much as you think, and you may be inadvertently eating back all of the caloric deficit you would need to lose weight.

Just one more suggestion on places to look. I hope this comes off as helpful rather than critical, because it is intended as the former! We all hit plateaus and it is very frustrating, so I am just sharing some places where I have had to improve myself in the past to get past them!

thank you! I have been doing the arc trainer for an hour. The calculation could very well be off. You are probably right.
  • TanyaCurtis
    Options
    TAKE UR MEASUREMENTS!!!! U will gain weight if u are gaining muscle! and a scale is never accurate! I didn't lose any weight either after 6 weeks of strenuous exercise! But I did lose 5"!!!!! Much better than losing weight I must say, and I feel alot better than I did then! Also make sure ur eating 1200 calories at the least, u'll lose weight faster! Also make sure ur eating small frequent meals throughout the whole day, from breakfast till after supper snack! It'll keep that metabolism burning on high, and burn that fat right off!
  • sunflowerhcb
    Options
    TAKE UR MEASUREMENTS!!!! U will gain weight if u are gaining muscle! and a scale is never accurate! I didn't lose any weight either after 6 weeks of strenuous exercise! But I did lose 5"!!!!! Much better than losing weight I must say, and I feel alot better than I did then! Also make sure ur eating 1200 calories at the least, u'll lose weight faster!

I just took measurements and I am about the same. Maybe if I re adjust some eating habits and add more fruits and veggies it will help. Thank you for your advice. ;
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I say one, take your measurements, two, try to eat less processed things (things in a box or package) more veggies, fruit, lean meat. And 3, when you are on those machines, try to long in your weight, age, and whatever they ask for. That helps it give you a better reading that mfp can give you. I started doing all three of these things and saw 2lbs drop within days. You can add me as a friend if you want more food ideas. I dont skip on having sweets, and i love food with flavor. if you want any tips, you can always ask me.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Since weight loss comes down to calories in vs. calories out, I would focus on your estimated calorie burns during exercise. For a long time, I seemed to be breaking even because of the way I was logging exercise, meaning I wasn't burning as much as I thought I was. Compare what the machine tells you (which isn't always accurate, either, unfortunately) and what MFP tells you for the same activity, and go with the lower number for a while. Or you could go even a bit lower to be on the safe side.

If MFP says you burned 800 calories during an hour of vigorous biking, for example, but the machine said you only burned 615, log it as 600 cals, and then eat back about 80% of your exercise cals. This could help you see where your margin of error might be.

I went through the same thing and one of my big faux pas was that I was logging my weight training as "circuit training," which was generating a larger calorie burn in my diary than it should have.

P.S. I just skimmed your diary, but I know a lot of salt can bloat us women and mess up scale readings. You might want to keep an eye on that for a while, too. Good luck!
  • GDavis25
    GDavis25 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im in a similar boat but I have found that if I vary my calorie intake (for example one day around 1300, another around 1500, and once in a while a little over my calorie goal) and drink a protein shake (I like Eas soy protein in vanilla) within an hour of working out and even on days I dont exercise if Im not getting enough protein that day that the scale is starting to go down. Ive lost 2 lbs in one week. I hope this helps and good luck with your goals :). Oh and get a heart rate monitor that also shows calorie burn and has a chest strap. If you put all your info into the watch it is a lot more accurate than the machines at the gym.
  • sunflowerhcb
    Options
    Since weight loss comes down to calories in vs. calories out, I would focus on your estimated calorie burns during exercise. For a long time, I seemed to be breaking even because of the way I was logging exercise, meaning I wasn't burning as much as I thought I was. Compare what the machine tells you (which isn't always accurate, either, unfortunately) and what MFP tells you for the same activity, and go with the lower number for a while. Or you could go even a bit lower to be on the safe side.

If MFP says you burned 800 calories during an hour of vigorous biking, for example, but the machine said you only burned 615, log it as 600 cals, and then eat back about 80% of your exercise cals. This could help you see where your margin of error might be.

I went through the same thing and one of my big faux pas was that I was logging my weight training as "circuit training," which was generating a larger calorie burn in my diary than it should have.

thank you!

great advice! Thank you

P.S. I just skimmed your diary, but I know a lot of salt can bloat us women and mess up scale readings. You might want to keep an eye on that for a while, too. Good luck!
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Since weight loss comes down to calories in vs. calories out...

I have to respectfully disagree with that first statement, and I strongly caution anyone else struggling with plateaus and the feeling of "but I'm doing everything 'right'" not to indulge in that, what I consider to be, mind boggling philosophy. Weight loss comes down to QUALITY calories in vs. low-quality calories out. As you can see, the original poster to this thread (as well as my former self) is struggling most likely due to her diet that consists mainly of highly processed foods, even though she is usually under her recommended caloric limit and exercising regularly. You can calculate and deprive yourself of all the calories in the world and still not lose very much weight, and the weight you do lose will come back very easily, if you're not considering quality of foods you eat. It's what you're putting IN your body that matters--what you're NOT eating has very little to do with weight loss.

To the original poster: you get it by now, as most people have informed you, your diet has too many highly processed foods. Humans weren't meant to live their lives on "diet" foods. IGNORE labels on the front of foods! Things that say "low calorie" or "reduced fat" only say that IN ORDER TO GET YOU TO BUY THEM. Look at the INGREDIENTS first. Then the nutrition facts, and completely ignore what it says on the front. Don't feel any shame in making the mistake of falling for those false claims, as I'm sure most of us have (myself included), but it wasn't until I learned about Eating Clean that I understood how to really get healthy (and in turn, lose excess weight practically without trying).

It's simple! Just eat things with ingredients that you can identify. If there are ingredients that start with mono-, poly-, di-, or end with -ine, ide, etc etc--DON'T EAT IT. Even "treating" yourself to those foods could end up sabotaging your diet because those foods produce cravings. No more artificial sweetener. If you crave something sweet, treat yourself to something sweetened with honey or agave. Take it from a former Diet Pepsi junky. Once you stop eating those foods--you won't even miss them! In fact, I'm kind of repulsed by them now.

Fruit, veggies, whole grains, lentils, legumes etc will fill your stomach unlike any of those processed laboratory concoctions. It only took me a few weeks to rid myself of that junk and I saw results like I'd never imagine. Not only did the weight just start falling off (with the help of rigorous exercise), but I FEEL AMAZING! I mean I have energy and positivity just oozing from my pores--and speaking of pores, my skin looks fantastic! I can't impress upon you enough how important it is to just take all the processed junk in your house and get rid of it. While your at it, seriously limit (or completely cut out) white flour and sugar. Drink water all day long (never be without a bottle of water). And get 7-8 hours of sleep every night, generally around the same times. Keep your food intake predictable and your exercises unpredictable (research High Intensity Interval Training and Muscle Confusion Strength Training).

I'm only saying this from my own personal experience and because you expressed the desire to change something up--this is what did it for me and I so hope you'll give it a shot! If you'd like to know more tips, please send me a message and I'll tell you more about how I completely transformed my body (and in turn, my life).
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Drop your routine down to 3 days a week.
    Allow your body to fully recover.
    This is known to break plateaus.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I know you are eating plenty of calories but gosh - aren't you hungry?! Don't get me wrong - I love Skinny Cow chocolates and coffee too. But only as a snack or something small to satisfy my sweet tooth...

I never, ever critique someone's eating habits because I too believe it comes down to calories in vs out (not to mention I am a firm believer in eating what you want in moderation) but honestly, I think you need to change things up. By all means go slowly. High sodium aside, maybe you could throw a Lean Cuisine or Weight Watcher meal in so you get more veggies. I also think that if you could get in 3 actual meals with a couple snacks you could probably cut down on the sweets; 3 candies+ per day = enough calories for a good size meal with more nutrition than empty calories. More protein will help fill you up too. Also remember to drink lots and lots of water to help flush out the excess sodium you are consuming.

I totally recommend getting a HRM. MFP's burns are so incredibly high that it is hard to get an accurate count if you only use MFP for calorie burn calculations. Between MFP's miscalculations and your eating habits, that is probably why you aren't losing.
  • sunflowerhcb
    Options

I have to respectfully disagree with that first statement, and I strongly caution anyone else struggling with plateaus and the feeling of "but I'm doing everything 'right'" not to indulge in that, what I consider to be, mind boggling philosophy. Weight loss comes down to QUALITY calories in vs. low-quality calories out. As you can see, the original poster to this thread (as well as my former self) is struggling most likely due to her diet that consists mainly of highly processed foods, even though she is usually under her recommended caloric limit and exercising regularly. You can calculate and deprive yourself of all the calories in the world and still not lose very much weight, and the weight you do lose will come back very easily, if you're not considering quality of foods you eat. It's what you're putting IN your body that matters--what you're NOT eating has very little to do with weight loss.

To the original poster: you get it by now, as most people have informed you, your diet has too many highly processed foods. Humans weren't meant to live their lives on "diet" foods. IGNORE labels on the front of foods! Things that say "low calorie" or "reduced fat" only say that IN ORDER TO GET YOU TO BUY THEM. Look at the INGREDIENTS first. Then the nutrition facts, and completely ignore what it says on the front. Don't feel any shame in making the mistake of falling for those false claims, as I'm sure most of us have (myself included), but it wasn't until I learned about Eating Clean that I understood how to really get healthy (and in turn, lose excess weight practically without trying).

It's simple! Just eat things with ingredients that you can identify. If there are ingredients that start with mono-, poly-, di-, or end with -ine, ide, etc etc--DON'T EAT IT. Even "treating" yourself to those foods could end up sabotaging your diet because those foods produce cravings. No more artificial sweetener. If you crave something sweet, treat yourself to something sweetened with honey or agave. Take it from a former Diet Pepsi junky. Once you stop eating those foods--you won't even miss them! In fact, I'm kind of repulsed by them now.

Fruit, veggies, whole grains, lentils, legumes etc will fill your stomach unlike any of those processed laboratory concoctions. It only took me a few weeks to rid myself of that junk and I saw results like I'd never imagine. Not only did the weight just start falling off (with the help of rigorous exercise), but I FEEL AMAZING! I mean I have energy and positivity just oozing from my pores--and speaking of pores, my skin looks fantastic! I can't impress upon you enough how important it is to just take all the processed junk in your house and get rid of it. While your at it, seriously limit (or completely cut out) white flour and sugar. Drink water all day long (never be without a bottle of water). And get 7-8 hours of sleep every night, generally around the same times. Keep your food intake predictable and your exercises unpredictable (research High Intensity Interval Training and Muscle Confusion Strength Training).

I'm only saying this from my own personal experience and because you expressed the desire to change something up--this is what did it for me and I so hope you'll give it a shot! If you'd like to know more tips, please send me a message and I'll tell you more about how I completely transformed my body (and in turn, my life).

You rock!!!!!! Thank you for commenting!!! You are have wonderful advice. Thank you. I have enjoyed reading this thread,
  • sunflowerhcb
    Options
    thank you so much for everyone that commented on my thread. I have learned a lot tonight and hope it changes things for me for the better! I appreciate all the feedback and the honesty. thank you all!!!
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    High sodium aside, maybe you could throw a Lean Cuisine or Weight Watcher meal in so you get more veggies.

Again... I have to respectfully disagree with this advice, only because those meals did not work for me. I used to live on those frozen meals and had the same problems you are having--little to no weight loss. The high sodium should not be understated! That much sodium is bad for so many reasons--more than just counterproductive to weight loss, it's simply not healthy. If you want to add vegetables into your diet, just buy FRESH ones!! They taste better and will have all the vitamins and nutrients that are missing in frozen, packaged meals with NONE of the sodium, sugar, and chemicals that often sabotage weight loss and are detrimental to a person's overall health.

I guess frozen, processed veggies are better than nothing, but those meals aren't cheap, and I just think it would be simpler and healthier if you went right ahead and made the leap into fresh, whole foods. I'm not someone who does things "gradually" though... You have to decide what you want out of your diet, health, and every day life. I'm someone that usually wants results ASAP and for me, if I had tried to gradually remove processed foods from my diet, who knows how long it would have taken (or if I ever would have gotten there). You know yourself, you decide. Best of luck!!

Feel free to check out my food diary to see how I achieved results better than I ever imagined. I don't always enter foods into the log, but I think i"ve been doing it the past few days...
  • jellycat
    Options
    you can do this ! so much room for manoeuvre - everything you put in your mouth which is processed like meal replacement bars or high GI foods increases your insulin levels which lays down fat instantly ...... they do work on very low cal diets but not so effective when eating higher now of calls ......if you swap your processed food for lean protein and all white for wholegrain ( pasta / rice and bread ) you will see big changes on the scale .

think its difficult moving away from the meal replacement idea sometimes but it doesn't appear to be working anymore for you so might be an idea to try out something different....

porridge made with water , blueberries, lean bacon, egg whites , veggies, tuna, chicken breasts grilled and brown rice and sweet potaoes seem to work for me ( so far )

keep going x
  • jellycat
    Options
    Feel free to check out my food diary to see how I achieved results better than I ever imagined. I don't always enter foods into the log, but I think i"ve been doing it the past few days...
    [/quote]

Hi I've just had a peek at your diary and its quite a lot like what I'm eating - I notice in the morning you have egg whites and blueberries - is this part of a homemade shake ? if so How do you make it it sounds like a great way to inc protein intake and stay full.

hope you don't mind that I had a peek .
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    looking at your past two days everything there is extremely processed, no fresh veggies, fruits or non processed meats
    (i saw cheese cake in there somewhere too....yum!)

eat real food, rather than meal replacement stuff, fills you up, and its more satisfying.
    just my 2 cents
    Just about to say this. Real foods, more fruits and vegetables, less sodium when possible, lean protein as well. What are you doing for exercise? Are you really burning over 1000 cals in one session? Personally I put into my exercise log on here what I did for cardio that the machines count, then when it shows up on my news feed I put what I did for strength training for all to see-but those calories aren't added as my weekly amount burned. So, yeah, I don't mark down every little calorie burned, but I lose 1-2 lbs a week that way too.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

You might find this study interesting:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/29/us-calories-idUSTRE80S0PF20120129

For optimal health, of course higher-quality calories and certain food groups over others are best. But one could lose weight on a cheetos and water diet if they wished. They would look and feel like crap, but they would lose weight.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    As many others have said, you need to visit that section of the grocery store off to the side that has all the multi-colored foods.

This is a kind of weird but simple way to think about mixing in produce: Eat at least one serving of each color every day if you can...

Green - Spinach, Arugula, Lettuce, Avocado, Zucchini
    Orange - Oranges (naturally), orange bell pepper, habaneros, carrots
    Blue/Purple - Blueberries, Eggplant, blue potatoes, kale
    Red - Red Bell peppers, red onion, apples, pomegranate, radishes
    White - onions, turnips, Bok Choy (some green there too), Daikon, potato
    Tan/Light Brown - Spaghetti Squash, Pineapple,
    Yellow - squash, lemons

It also makes shopping kind of fun spending time picking out and trying new "colors".
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    HELP
    :sad: I am feeling a bit low. I have been eating right, excersising like wonder woman 5 times a week for an hour, drinking lots of water. logging all my food and eating some of my leftover calories after excersising and still only 2 pounds lost in months.

I dont get what I am doing wrong? I have had my thyroid checked. It is fine. I dont get why Im not losing weight!? Anyone else in the same boat? Have any good suggestions? Thanks

Have you tried not eating your earned exercise calories?