Leg Exercises

Options
I would like to work on my legs and make the stronger! any ideas!

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Squaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaats.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    squats and lunges, first with body weight only then while holding weights. go online or look in trusted books/mags for safety tips (like keeping your knees from passing your toes).

Walking up & down LOTS of stairs (think football stadium) and hills.

anything that makes your thighs and butt burn
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Bump
  • jennannec
    Options
    squats and lunges, first with body weight only then while holding weights. go online or look in trusted books/mags for safety tips (like keeping your knees from passing your toes).

Walking up & down LOTS of stairs (think football stadium) and hills.

anything that makes your thighs and butt burn

wow great idea with the stairs! i might run up and down those as one of my daily exercises i never thought about that! thanks!
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    deadlifts, calve raises, leg presses, hamstring swiss ball rolls
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I always run up and down stairs on my lunch break. I tend to think of that as cardio. :D
  • nevergiveup92
    Options
    squats and lunges do WONDERS! especially if you have weights in hand.
  • nikolaim5
    Options
    If it's strength you're after then nothing beats squats. Nothing.
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    squats also work those largest muscle groups and stimulate extra hormones needed for muscle building.
  • jennannec
    Options
    If it's strength you're after then nothing beats squats. Nothing.

how many squats do you think is good for a day?
  • nikolaim5
    Options
    If your goal is strength then you'd probably be best served by ramping up to a 3 rep max for the time being.

warm up
    8x 50%
    5x 75%
    3x 85%
    3x 90%

Something like that. Eventually you can try for a 1 rep max but I'd focus on form and control first. I'd recommend getting some coaching on the squat as the details are very important. I'm not talking about the typical guy who's employed by the gym either. Most of these guys aren't doing it right. Google Mark Rippetoe and see if you can find some of his videos on Youtube and Vimeo. He's pretty much the authority on technique.
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Squats!! Bulgarian split squats, front squats, hack squat, box squat, sumo squat.....and throw some stiff legged deadlifts, along with walking lunges, and some step-ups.
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Squats!! Bulgarian split squats, front squats, hack squat, box squat, sumo squat.....and throw some stiff legged deadlifts, along with walking lunges, and some step-ups.

This, and yes, Mark Rippetoe, too.
  • jennannec
    Options
    yay! thanks for all the suggestions guys!