how to reduce body fat while keeping muscle

Options
I have about 12lbs to lose - not sure how much of this extra weight on the scale is fat, but a good proportion. I have been weight training and think I have some good muscle hidden under a layer of fat. How do I go about 'stripping' the fat to reveal the 'ripped' me underneath? Is it a question of upping protein, mixing workouts, including intervals... or all of these?

I regularly run 5 - 10k three times a week, plus weight raining sessions at the gym and Jillian Michael's dvds.

Thanks!

Replies

• redtop2187
    redtop2187 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't have any insight but am very interested in reading other's insights.
  • ebonyrose316266
    ebonyrose316266 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • gtunlimited
    gtunlimited Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    you might have the problem of your body is used to the cardio you do. pay attention to diet remaining at a calorie deficite and try different forms of cardio. try "insanity" its insane! go figure. it helps because there are many different workouts and its interval training which seems to do wonders. plus there is strength aspects to it. lots of pushups etc. you may have to just cut down you body fat then work on building you muscle that you lose back up
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Stop running so much. Your 5k-10k run is likely eating into muscle, so limit your cardio to 20 minutes of HIIT cardio (jog, sprint, jog, sprint, etc.). Up your protein intake, if its not higher now, and limit your bad carbs (zero sugar).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,569 Member
    Options
    I have about 12lbs to lose - not sure how much of this extra weight on the scale is fat, but a good proportion. I have been weight training and think I have some good muscle hidden under a layer of fat. How do I go about 'stripping' the fat to reveal the 'ripped' me underneath? Is it a question of upping protein, mixing workouts, including intervals... or all of these?

I regularly run 5 - 10k three times a week, plus weight raining sessions at the gym and Jillian Michael's dvds.

Thanks!
    Reduce the cardio, bump up the weights for 3-4 sets of 8 using as much as you can handle with good form. Keep protein high and get enough rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Nitachi
    Nitachi Posts: 142
    Options

Thanks!

Remain in a small deficit and ensure your protein intake is at least 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass (if you are relatively lean then rather have it 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight).

It's easier to cut back some of the cardio and focus more on weight lifting to preserve the muscle while losing the weight slowly,
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    by eating clean, avoiding sugar, salt, carbohydrates and doing strength training could help.

Check out these sites:

www.myomytv.com
    www.bodyrock.tv
    www.diet.com

Food:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    Circuit classes might work wonders. It's the best plateau breaker I've ever used.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Bump

I'm interested in the responses to this one. Same thing... I've got pretty good muscles under a layer of fat. I'm at or within 5 lbs of goal weight. More concerned with the body fat caliper readings at this point.
  • rdzilla
    rdzilla Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. I'm doing the same approach (albeit with a bit more padding) and do not want to lose any muscle. The advice to up your protein I've found to be a major plus. So far I've lost 12 pounds and have gotten noticeably stronger over the last 5 weeks. Eat back your workout calories and hit the weights hard. I keep my cardio to three runs a week for 30 minutes but really make the most of those 30 minutes. Lifting heavy and at a good pace four times a week for about 70 minutes at a time.
  • GrokOn
    GrokOn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Reduce cardio, add more strength training, and if that still isnt working start reducing carb intake(meat and veggies are your friend) . Under 150g of carbs is a good place to start. Protien is essential for muscle building so make sure you are getting enough. Also make sure you are getting enough calories if you cut back too much it will be counter productive. There is no magic formula for this because everyone is different, but i believe that these guidelines are accurate for most people.
  • adamsilva
    adamsilva Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ChrisBeck26
    Options
    Keep lifting heavy and change the cardio, Do High Intensity Interval Training instead of long runs. This will burn the fat and help you build muscle!
    8 Second sprints followed by a 16 Second slow jog, repeat it about 8 times, have a 2 or 3 minute walk then repeat again. Do it for about 20 minutes.

Let me know how you get on!
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    weight raining sessions

Ouch! I wouldn't want any weight to rain on me :-D

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    I have no serious suggestion for you.

MM
  • garyl7593
    Options
    I'm trying the same at the moment....its a very slow process(4lb in 4 weeks) but starting to see abs and lifting much better weights.I do 2-3 Body Pump Classes a week and one Heavy weights Circuit.
    Eating wise I'm on lots of protein & good fats......Good luck! :)
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Check out leangains.com - might help
  • judgejava
    Options
    as you build muscle then body will burn the fat to maintain it anyways.

Things just take time
  • GrahamBarwick
    Options
    I find alternating my training really helped, I do circuits 2 x a week or body pump every third week and then do some heavy lifting 3 x times a week. I get in at least 4 x 20 to 30 min cardio sessions. Usually straight after weights. This according to the pt trainers that write in mens health, really helps in stripping fat. Also Squats and lunges with heavy weights really help me too. :smile:
  • asmithson19
    Options
    Bump - Wish I could help more.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    1. eat at calorie deficit
    2. keep doing what you are doing
    3. ??????
    4. Profit