Anyone NOT put on weight giving up smoking?!

Options
So after 5 weeks and an extra 7lbs of being a non smoker I started again, I don't think I ate unhealthy and I exercised daily. I'm now gearing myself up again! Only problem is and I know this is the wrong way to look at it, I'm getting married in 3 months time and fighting the bulge to try and look a little nicer. After last time I'm almost to scared to try again as the weight gain got to me a little. I have now (whilst smoking again) dropped the 7lbs and a little more but feel crappy again. Advice needed on how you succeeded whilst losing weight!

Replies

• zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    I switched to electronic cigarettes and this time I didn't put on weight.
    OK so it's not as good as quitting nicotine totally, and I will eventually ween myself off them but for now they are working nicely, if you're struggling it might be worth looking into, my lungs are clearer, no more hacking up a lung every morning and I feel much better
  • flump12
    Options
    I gave up 9 months ago and have put on nearly a stone. I did eat a little more but not loads. I am now at the stage that I can think about losing it as I am over the smoking cravings and don't really miss it.
    Apparently everyone will probably put on about half a stone as your metabolism settles down. Deal with smoking first believe me you will feel so much better for it, I did it with the help of a quitting plan through the doctors and would thoroughly reccommend it.
    Then tackle the weight you gain after. Maybe do after your wedding as it is a stressful time to stop.
    I'm always happy to be a support if you feel you are losing motivation and I'll send a friend request.
  • GrokOn
    GrokOn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    +1 for the e-cig. No weight gain.
  • chic_mama_25
    Options
    sadly I did put on weight! I had to LEARN not to replace cigs with food which took a long time! Good luck!
  • chic_mama_25
    Options
    I wanted to add.. if you stick to MFP set caloreies religiously you should be ok in my opinion it is the overeating that you dont notice that is the culprit
  • alibab36
    alibab36 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I gave them up about a year ago and didn't put on a pound . I did start to increase my activity levels around this time so this could account for the reason why . This time last year i was smoking and doing zero exercise and was so unfit i could barely walk down the road. A year later and i am in the gym 4 days a week and doing 10 k runs .
  • dcampus
    Options
    (Just FYI - this is not my actual profile; using my boyfriends old one!)

I have always LOST weight when giving up smoking.

What feeling could be more encouraging and motivating than knowing you can get out in to the fresh air to go for a jog or a walk, knowing that even after the first week of quitting your chest wont feel as raspy etc. Every time I craved a cigarette I felt about how good it would feel to get on the treadmill at the gym, my lungs not clogged with tar, and being able to go as far as a non-smoker without coughing and spluttering.

Less smoke + more exercise = lose weight!! GO FOR IT! :)
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I didnt gain weight when I quit, I did it cold turkey as well.... my husband call me a freak because one day I was a smoker and the next day I wasnt.

As long as you dont replace the habit with anything that puts more calories into your body you shouldnt gain weight by quitting.
  • haylee1981
    haylee1981 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice. I really wanted to try again before the wedding as I can't think of anything worse than a bride going out for a cig break lol!! I was thinking about maybe trying the patches as think I'll need a little help for the first few weeks, whether it's true or not but i've been told they can help control weight without all the nastiness in *kitten*. I'll be distraught if I go for my last fitting and can't fit in my dress again x
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    Put on a few pounds, been 8 months since I stopped

Just made sure I had stuff to do though, became more active, done etc house work and kept little fatty treats in the house

Feel so much better for being off them
  • twhitney
    twhitney Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    5 1/2 months and 25 pounds heavier I am smoke free!
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    I quit smoking in 2009, been smoke free since then and don't remember putting on any weight. I quit cold turkey. Simply told myself that I just ain't gonna smoke anymore, and that's it. Well, I am probably like 2kg heavier now than I was back then but I think it's due to the regular buffets that I've been going to than tossing away my cigs.
  • workerbee2011
    workerbee2011 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I put on about 15 pounds (over about a year) after I quit smoking - BUT, for the first two months after I quit I used patches, and didn't put on any weight then - it only came after I was entirely nicotine free. And when I say ' the weight came' I guess what I mean is I ate a lot of s**t that I shouldn't have! Since I started on this site ( about 3 months ago), I've lost almost all of it - If you use MFP to monitor your calorie intake there is no reason why you should put on weight - just be prepared to have to muster the same mental strength that keeps you cig free to keep your eating habits good. And work out!

11316128.png
  • kettrickenx
    kettrickenx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Last year I stopped smoking for a few months and actually lost weight. I started smoking again. However I'm still losing weight. Cigarettes don't affect how much I weigh, but they're terrible for the health in general. I noticed that while I work out I lose my breath due to this awful habit.. I don't smoke much. I can't quit though.
  • fabulis1
    fabulis1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My mom has quit smoking for about a year. She started when she was 7 years old, no lie. She's not 55.

She didn't gain a pound. In fact, she lost weight. How: make a plan for yourself BEFORE you quit smoking.

What are you going to replace your smoking time with?
    What will be your new thing to relax?
    What will you focus on when you don't want to focus on having a cigarette.

She still goes outside for her daily smoke break, but walks for 10 minutes instead.
    She hops on her treadmill or does a craft to replace those habits.

By making a plan to replace your smokes, you'll be better prepared.
  • ZAislandgal
    Options
    I wish I could say I did't put on weight, about 7 kg's. This was also over the festive season. I joined MFP 10 days ago and have lost 3 kg's already.

I have had 2 previous attempts at quitting smoking and boths time before lost weight. I think the others are right, if you are tracking your calories and exersising it shouldn't be a problem.

You are better than the box!

A website called whyquit.com really helped me. Don't read the horror stories, just the timeline and the actual process of quitting.

Just think how great you'll smell on your wedding day!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    They say it takes a person two or three failed attempts to quit smoking before they succeed. Don stop trying, it will be the best thing that you have done, not only for yourself but for your fiance. Good luck to you, from a thirty year, two pack a day, now ex-smoker.