Sodium?!

Options
I finally figured out how to change my settings to track my sodium intake because I seem to ALWAYS feel bloated.

And guess what? I've gone over on my sodium by large amounts (1,000+mg) everyday. No wonder!:laugh:

Can anyone teach me more about sodium and how it affects the body?

Replies

• shannon128
    Options
    I finally figured out how to change my settings to track my sodium intake because I seem to ALWAYS feel bloated.

And guess what? I've gone over on my sodium by large amounts (1,000+mg) everyday. No wonder!:laugh:

• karlira
    karlira Posts: 100
    Options
    Hi!
    I found this info and more at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284

Your body needs some sodium to function properly. Sodium:

Helps maintain the right balance of fluids in your body
    Helps transmit nerve impulses
    Influences the contraction and relaxation of muscles
    Your kidneys regulate the amount of sodium kept in your body. When sodium levels are low, your kidneys conserve sodium. When levels are high, they excrete the excess amount in urine.

If your kidneys can't eliminate enough sodium, the sodium starts to accumulate in your blood. Because sodium attracts and holds water, your blood volume increases. Increased blood volume, in turn, makes your heart work harder to move more blood through your blood vessels, increasing pressure in your arteries. Certain diseases such as congestive heart failure, cirrhosis and chronic kidney disease can lead to an inability to regulate sodium.

Some people are more sensitive to the effects of sodium than are others. People who are sodium sensitive retain sodium more easily, leading to excess fluid retention and increased blood pressure. If you're in that group, extra sodium in your diet increases your chance of developing high blood pressure, a condition that can lead to cardiovascular and kidney diseases.

Hope it helps :wink:
  • gschwsh
    gschwsh Posts: 11
    Options
    I would like to know too. I love salt and have it on everything. I am also bloated all the time. I guess i never realized how much it affects you
  • Shyflutterby
    Options
    I just figured out the same thing!!!! I would love to learn as well!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

mfp has sodium set at high range 2500mg...1500mg is the low range..just fyi
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    this stuff is EVIL :devil: . I found out a few months back that this was a huge problem for me. I would continuesly go over on it. Then I found this trick, say something has 300 calories then it should have 600 in sodium and no more than that. so you should take how many calories something has in it and go no more than double on the amount of sodium that it has in it. Does that make sense? I hope that I have explained it well enough.
  • sji03
    sji03 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm always over on my sodium too. I recently learned that potassium helps flush out the sodium that can cause bloating. Start your day with some potassium-rich fruit, such as, bananas, cantaloupe, honeydew, oranges, papayas, or cranberry and orange juices. Bananas are now a regular part of my breakfast. I add them to my oatmeal, slice them over my pancakes or just have one for my mid-morning snack. :flowerforyou:
  • shannon128
    Options
    What are ways to cut out sodium?
    I like a lot of spicy foods that seem to have a lot in it and I also use a lot of hot sauce in place of more calorie packed sauces.
    Should I just avoid spicy, salty foods? These seem to be the items that keep my calorie intake low. :cry:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    What are ways to cut out sodium?
    I like a lot of spicy foods that seem to have a lot in it and I also use a lot of hot sauce in place of more calorie packed sauces.
    Should I just avoid spicy, salty foods? These seem to be the items that keep my calorie intake low. :cry:
    salty=sodium most definately..spicy has nothing to do with it...pre packaged foods are high as well u know those frozen dinners...also rinse all canned veggies and opt for dry beans verses canned...cut the soda...if ur over according to MFP's 2500mg then your really really over
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    this stuff is EVIL :devil: . I found out a few months back that this was a huge problem for me. I would continuesly go over on it. Then I found this trick, say something has 300 calories then it should have 600 in sodium and no more than that. so you should take how many calories something has in it and go no more than double on the amount of sodium that it has in it. Does that make sense? I hope that I have explained it well enough.

I have read this on here before. My question is... if I eat a 1500 calorie diet, that would mean that 3000 mg of sodium is okay, but that is not how it works. Why? Just curious.

And I have also heard that you can balance high sodium with more potassium, is that right?
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    I'm always over on my sodium too. I recently learned that potassium helps flush out the sodium that can cause bloating. Start your day with some potassium-rich fruit, such as, bananas, cantaloupe, honeydew, oranges, papayas, or cranberry and orange juices. Bananas are now a regular part of my breakfast. I add them to my oatmeal, slice them over my pancakes or just have one for my mid-morning snack. :flowerforyou:
    Sorry, too slow on the post.
  • nenemom
    nenemom Posts: 12
    Options
    So if i rinse all my canned beans and veggies, just how much sodium grams can I subtract from what the nutrition facts label shows?
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I opt for fresh or frozen veggies over canned.

I use sea salt instead of table salt................
  • nenemom
    nenemom Posts: 12
    Options
    what's the diff between sea and talbe salt?

sodium is sodium is sodium - right?????

:huh:
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    So what is a reasonable amount of sodium a person on 1400 calories should have?

Also, I am finding it hard to keep my sodium down. Any suggestions? I add salt to a lot of things, what is a good substitute?
  • karlira
    karlira Posts: 100
    Options
    what's the diff between sea and talbe salt?

sodium is sodium is sodium - right?????

:huh:

I guess table salt is added with iodine and fluoride...
    Iodine is essential for the tyroid to work, it helps to have an active metabolism....