munchies

Options
i get the terrible munchies when i have alcohol. I still want to be able to have alcohol, but not get the muchies. I end up eating crisp and crave takeaways. anyone any ideas to help me? xx

Replies

• K_Stewart
    K_Stewart Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wish I had advice for you. I have the same problem. If you drink at home, maybe you can pop a 100 calorie bag of popcorn to much on. ??
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    I believe that is one of the things alcohol gives you... the munchies... the best thing you can do is limit the amount of alcohol...
    Can you switch to wine? It has less calories, too, and pairs well with food. Cab sauvignon tastes well with cheese, chicken, and meat, (aka savory fat-laden food) which give you protein.
    I guess the best advice I can give you is to plan what you´ll munch on ahead of time. Expect to munch, based on your past habit, just plan your day ahead of time so you can munch on something, and plan what it will be. Plan how many drinks and log it in ahead of time.
    You see, when you log AFTER, it´s too late to do anything. It´s even harder to calculate calories when you´re drinking (especially when drinking) so the best you can do is plan the entire day beforehand.
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    Well, in case you don´t like the switch to wine, you could also:
    -brush your teeth after each drink ?
    -I found that focusing on getting more nutrients in my food led me to reduce junk food for example. You see, when you´re eating less calories, it becomes harder to get your daily nutrition needs, in what little amounts you do eat. If you don´t get enough nutrients, you could be more susceptible to colds which usually wreak havoc with diets.
    -I would also advise trying to have your drink with a meal or around mealtime so you can offset the pangs with something that will fill you up. If you´re going out at night, you could wait until you arrive at your destination before having dinner, so you can match it to your drink. Or take something with you, if it´s at a friend´s house and they don´t offer any meal-type food.
    -All in all, drinking in small sips might be another good recommendation too! Postpone drinking as much as possible. If you were going to drink at an even from 3-6, wait until the last possible moment to start the drinking, let´s say five p.m. if you can (it´s just an example)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Same here. Alcohol for most people is just not compatible with weight loss. I've had zero since December and it's so much easier to be consistent in my dieting and exercising.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    When I'm drinking I like to have some Triscuit cracks and hummus....Yummy!
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    I always have to remind myself to have protein when I drink....otherwise I binge. Avoid the temptation to use your drink cals as a "meal". Always plan to have some food with your alcohol to avoid impulses to overeat. A chicken or veggie main dish with wine is a great start : )