Freezable and/or Quick Breakfasts

Options

Replies

• gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    love that idea!
    I do this every weekend to prepare for the week, and I try different variations on it so I don't get tired of it! It's not an exact science, so it's tough to screw anything up, thankfully!

1 - Grab a big bowl and mix up a mixture of eggs and egg whites, maybe 6 or 7? Preheat oven to about 350.

2 - This week I chopped up a red bell pepper, green bell pepper, onion, and chopped frozen spinach (defrosted and squeezed of excess liquid)

3 - I get out my two cupcake pans, spray well with cooking spray. To make this easier, you can also use aluminum cupcake cups, but I didn't have any on hand this week and it still worked okay!

4 - Add a little bit of the chopped veggies until they're about 1/2 full. This week I also added some pieces of turkey bacon (pre-cooked in oven for a few minutes on foil) but sometimes I skip the bacon, or add some pieces of canadian bacon.

5 - Add the egg mixture until each cup is about 3/4 full, and sprinkle some low fat shredded cheese on top. If you run out of egg mixture to add, you can always whip up another egg or two.

6 - Put pans in oven at 350 for about 15 minutes, give or take a few.

There you have about 24 mini egg quiches for quick reheating! I have about 2 every morning. I generally keep half in the fridge and freeze the other half, or you can stick them all in the freezer. Either way they'll reheat just fine!

Sorry this is so vague, but I hope it helps!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of making your protein shake more filling? Milk instead of water. Yogurt, peanut butter and a banana, fruits, veggies, whatever.

When I was on a similar schedule (minus the kids so admittedly less hectic, but I do catch a 515 AM train), I'd have 1-2 scoops of chocolate protein, a banana, 2+ tbsp of peanut butter, water and ice. It was 500 and 800 calories and kept me full for most of the day. Adding milk would make it even more filling (and tastier).
  • kandire
    Options
    Bump! Those are some awesome ideas!!
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    Bumping for the quiche!

I was working full time and getting my undergrad full time as well last year....and traveling between the suburbs & NYC three to four times a week. I would always stash protein bars (pure protein, met-rx, even a couple of atkins) that I'd nosh on between a protein shake and lunch. Sometime Id throw a banana in my purse on one of those jiff-to-go PB cups with it. Anything that would hold me over.

I'm about to start my Master's full time while still working so I'm about to embark on another insane traveling journey so the quiche will be an awesome idea!

Kudos for balancing the kids, work & taking the time to work out!
  • aliciawakka
    aliciawakka Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have just copied that recipe and will definatly be using this week! Thanks for that! :)
  • twinsmake3
    twinsmake3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump for later......am excited to try that quiche idea!
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    bump!! awesome ideas!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This is not a light recipe ..... but something along these lines (store in freezer)

BREAKFAST BURRITOS

12 slices turkey bacon, diced
    12 eggs, lightly beaten (egg beaters would lower fat)
    salt and pepper to taste
    10 (8 inch) flour tortillas (low carb & whole grain available)
    1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (2% available)
    1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions …. Chopped peppers & other sauteed veggies

Directions
    1.In a non-stick skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain fat from pan. Add eggs, salt and pepper; cook and stir over medium heat until the eggs are completely set.
    2.Spoon about 1/4 cup of egg mixture down the center of each tortilla; sprinkle with cheese, onions and bacon. Fold bottom and sides of tortilla over filling. Wrap each in waxed paper and aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 1 month.
    3.To use frozen burritos: Remove foil. Place waxed paper-wrapped burritos on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave at 60% power for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 20 seconds.
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    bump! Thanks for the awesome ideas!
  • Rdahl2
    Rdahl2 Posts: 90
    Options
    I love this idea! I was also trying to figure out breakfast ideas and this is perfect.
  • darina23
    darina23 Posts: 114
    Options
    You could pre-make your own sausage bisquits and just microwave them in the morning. I'm planning on doing it for my son.
  • kittycarson
    Options
    I make baked oatmeal and store and refrigerate it for at least 6 days at a time. I pop it in the micro to heat it in the morning...It is delicious..Here is recipe: Oh, and it is super filling

Baked Oatmeal
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    4 cups old fashioned oats (do not use instant or quick cooking)
    1 cup chopped apples
    ½ cup chopped walnuts
    4 cups water
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    ½ cup chopped dates – ¾ cup if you like dates
    Combine oats, walnuts and a pinch of salt in a bowl – mix well.
    In a separate container combine water and vanilla.
    Combine all ingredients (except the dates) and stir gently.
    Pour into a lightly oiled 8” X 8” dish.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 60 minutes – keep an eye on this after 30 minutes; the
    recipe said 60 minutes, but it was done before that.
    When done, take out of oven, stir in the dates, and serve.
  • Rdahl2
    Rdahl2 Posts: 90
    Options
    I do this every weekend to prepare for the week, and I try different variations on it so I don't get tired of it! It's not an exact science, so it's tough to screw anything up, thankfully!

1 - Grab a big bowl and mix up a mixture of eggs and egg whites, maybe 6 or 7? Preheat oven to about 350.

2 - This week I chopped up a red bell pepper, green bell pepper, onion, and chopped frozen spinach (defrosted and squeezed of excess liquid)

3 - I get out my two cupcake pans, spray well with cooking spray. To make this easier, you can also use aluminum cupcake cups, but I didn't have any on hand this week and it still worked okay!

4 - Add a little bit of the chopped veggies until they're about 1/2 full. This week I also added some pieces of turkey bacon (pre-cooked in oven for a few minutes on foil) but sometimes I skip the bacon, or add some pieces of canadian bacon.

5 - Add the egg mixture until each cup is about 3/4 full, and sprinkle some low fat shredded cheese on top. If you run out of egg mixture to add, you can always whip up another egg or two.

6 - Put pans in oven at 350 for about 15 minutes, give or take a few.

There you have about 24 mini egg quiches for quick reheating! I have about 2 every morning. I generally keep half in the fridge and freeze the other half, or you can stick them all in the freezer. Either way they'll reheat just fine!

Sorry this is so vague, but I hope it helps!

I will definitely be doing this, great idea!
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I measure out Kashi and put in a snack size bag. I keep milk at the office usually. I find that has a good balance of carbs and protien and keeps me full for a pretty long time.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Yikes that's a crazy busy morning! I like to have some things in my freezer that are easy to transport in the car. My favorites are VitaMuffins Muffin Tops CranBran and Vans lowfat waffles. I put a TBSP of Plain Natural peanut butter on the waffles and eat it like a sandwich.

For a more protein based recipe, I love egg muffins. You can make them on a Sunday, freeze them, and pop 'em in the microwave in the morning. You basically bake little individual omeletes into muffin tins. Portable and easy to eat in the car. I use this website for recipes, she has great ideas: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/01/recipe-for-egg-muffins-with-ham-cheese.html
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    my husband made me this this morning, it literally took 1.5 mins crack 1 egg in a microwavable cup add 1Tbls of water cover with plastic wrap microwave for 1 min while wheat toast is toasting. When toast comes up butter it put the egg on top and season if you want it. eat it flat with a plate and fork or roll it and go.
  • robynluvsjesus
    robynluvsjesus Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I personally use the Smart Ones breakfast quesadilas alot. They also have english muffin sandwiches with eggs and canadian bacon. You can pop them in the microwave and run. Low calorie, high nutrition. Also, any of the Jimmy Dean turkey bacon and turkey sausage sandwiches are good.
  • Keisha2BFitAgain
    Keisha2BFitAgain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump...love the bkfast ideas.
  • ajlarz
    ajlarz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't have suggestions for breakfast, but would it be possible for you to make the kids' lunches the night before to cut time off in the morning?
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas, ladies!!! Maybe this will keep me from hitting up the pastry aisle at the gas station every morning! :sad: