Nutrisystem?!

Options
belldandy1
belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
I am having a very difficult time with the diet part of my weight-loss regime. This is primarily because I hate cooking and have a very busy schedule! I also live in a household full of people that eat very calorie laiden foods. I thought that nutrisystem might be the solution for me. According to their website it is not all that expensive. I was wondering if anyone here had used nutrisystem before or know someone you did. IF so, what was your experience wity nutrisystem? How is the food? Would it be a problem that I am not a vegetarian, but am allergic to beef and pork?

I know that If I was more disciplined that I could lose weight without a program like nutrisystem, but I am a full time student and I work full time so I really do not have much spare time. I think it will be easier when I graduate, but I want to lose weight before then. I will graduate at the end of October and I want to about 25-30 pounds skinnier by then so I won't have to buy a work wardrobe and then replace it after several months. I think a program like nutrisystem could jump start my weight loss and then I could eventually stop using it.

Replies

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I havn't used it but I have heard it IS actually quite expensive, and that the food doesn't taste very good.
  • PROUDWIFENMOMMY
    Options
    :grumble: :grumble: I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU TRY JENNY CRAIG INSTEAD!!! THE MEALS TASE REALLY GREAT AND YOU CAN GET IT SHIPPED TO YOUR DOOR ALSO!!! I HAVE DONE BOTH AND I COULD NOT STOMACHE THE NUTRISYSTEM FOOD......IT TASTE LIKE MUSH AND REAL BLAND!!! THE JENNY MEALS WERE REALLY GOOD AND DO NOT TASTE LIKE DIET FOOD AT ALL!! I WAS SO UPSET THAT I HAVE SPENT SO MUCH ON NUTRISYSTEM AND I HATED EVERYTHING!!! THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, BUT TAKE IT FROM ME....YUK!!!!!
  • doubleloop23
    Options
    I haven't used it but I feel like you don't really learn how to eat with meals like that. A lot of people I know have tried things like that and after they lost the weight they stopped and gained it all back.
  • belldandy1
    Options
    :grumble: :grumble: I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU TRY JENNY CRAIG INSTEAD!!! THE MEALS TASE REALLY GREAT AND YOU CAN GET IT SHIPPED TO YOUR DOOR ALSO!!! I HAVE DONE BOTH AND I COULD NOT STOMACHE THE NUTRISYSTEM FOOD......IT TASTE LIKE MUSH AND REAL BLAND!!! THE JENNY MEALS WERE REALLY GOOD AND DO NOT TASTE LIKE DIET FOOD AT ALL!! I WAS SO UPSET THAT I HAVE SPENT SO MUCH ON NUTRISYSTEM AND I HATED EVERYTHING!!! THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, BUT TAKE IT FROM ME....YUK!!!!!

How expensive is Jenny Craig. I read that NutriSystem is around $300 dollars a month. I just read a MSN articles on the cost of different weight loss programs? It did not have the average cost of food included for Jenny Craig.
  • PROUDWIFENMOMMY
    Options
    I WAS PAYING AROUND $87.00 DOLLARS A WEEK FOR BREAKFAST LUNCH DINNER AND 2 SNACKS PLUS A DESSERT!!! YOU CAN ALSO PICK AND CHOOSE IF YOU WANT TO DO A MEAL ON YOUR OWN...THEY WILL TELL YOU WHAT YOU CAN HAVE , YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY THAT MEAL FOR THE DAY!!! IT REALLY WORKS!!!
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I tried Nutrisystem. Of course, I didn't bother going to the website and reading the ingredients before I signed up, or else I never would have joined. I didn't much care for the food, you still have to buy a lot of dairy and fruits/veggies and even some protein in addition to the Nutrisystem foods, and everything has soy in it, to which I'm allergic. By end of day 7, I was having massive headaches at the end of every day. Oh,....and the food makes you fart.... a lot.....a WHOLE lot. They call it Nutritoots. Apparently, the diehards think this is a really funny side affect. I thought I didn't like having to choose between having gas pains from holding it in, or letting it rip and stinking up the joint. So I quit. This is much better!!
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    I tried Nutrisystem. Of course, I didn't bother going to the website and reading the ingredients before I signed up, or else I never would have joined. I didn't much care for the food, you still have to buy a lot of dairy and fruits/veggies and even some protein in addition to the Nutrisystem foods, and everything has soy in it, to which I'm allergic. By end of day 7, I was having massive headaches at the end of every day. Oh,....and the food makes you fart.... a lot.....a WHOLE lot. They call it Nutritoots. Apparently, the diehards think this is a really funny side affect. I thought I didn't like having to choose between having gas pains from holding it in, or letting it rip and stinking up the joint. So I quit. This is much better!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Nutritoots...that is so hilarious! LMAO!
  • TheBestMe
    TheBestMe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it but my sister did. She said a few of the things are fine but you have to remember its all frozen processed food. She said she really liked it during the first week but as she went on she got really tired of not having fresh food.
  • belldandy1
    Options
    Thanks for all of the comments. So the general concensus is that the food stinks and makes you fart lol!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

How expensive is Jenny Craig. I read that NutriSystem is around $300 dollars a month. I just read a MSN articles on the cost of different weight loss programs? It did not have the average cost of food included for Jenny Craig.

Another thing to considering is, my grocery budget is around 140 a month....granted I have a small budget, but it certainly keeps us fed. It may be slightly higher if you figure in a few times that we go out to eat, but still, that's for two people! I think $300 a month for one person (and for microwave meals to boot) is way too much.

I would pay $300 a month if they were fresh cooked meals, cooked daily by a chef and brought to my table....oh and everything cleaned up for me too:laugh:
  • Aliciathecatmom
    Aliciathecatmom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I tried Nutrisystem. I lost weight but got tired of the food, most of it tastes awful. It is expensive especially when you have to buy fresh fruits & veggies & dairy at the store separately. After going off of it I gained all the weight back! It was an expensive lesson.
  • jchudon
    jchudon Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't knew Nutrisystem.
    I just went to their website and you can view the ingredients of each meal and it's quite frightening...
    Everything is highly processed with ingredients which I can't even pronounce their names...

I'd stay out of that... smells fishy.

If you need a quick meal from time to time, you can always make yourself a shake with some weight gainer. Just adjust the dose in order to meet your calories intake and you'll get as close as a "real" meal as possible.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Are you going to eat JC or Nutri for the rest of your life?

Better to buckle down and learn to do it the right way with real food, I think.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    My friend is on it and says it tastes like cardboard. Save your cash.

I'm a big fan of cooking large quantities then freezing individual portions myself. I know what goes into my food that way. Also, if you are short on time crockpots are awesome put the ingredients in, turn it on and when you get home, dinner.

If you're intent on frozen meals stick with Lean Cuisine, Health Choice and Smart Ones, they at least taste pretty good. :bigsmile:
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    There are lots of quick easy things you could eat without resorting to expensive programs. You could start a thread just on that subject. Here are my favorites:

Breakfast - Fiber One Honey Clusters Cereal.
    Lunch/Dinner - Wraps. Any tortilla (I like Mission Carb Balance), Purdue Short Cuts chicken, low fat cheese. Eat melted in microwave, or keep cold and add lettuce shreds and salsa or low fat ranch dressing.
    Snacks - String Cheese, Apples w/peanut butter (I love Smucker's Natural).