Heart rate levels

Options
HI I have been all over the net looking for my answer. I want to know what is the best level to train in to lose/ burn fat. Most of the sites are different some say 60-70% and others say 70-80% and other say the hinger you go the less you burn fat and others say the opposite. Is there anyone who can tell me the truth please, MY goal is to weigh 62Kg I am 1.68m tall and age 29 I weigh 98 now so I have allot of fat to burn. please please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Replies

• mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    Hmm I have wondered this also, becuase when on the tread or the elip I go hard, as hard as I can, my heart rate is usally WAY higher than the "fat burn zone" and more in the "cardio train" zone... I figure if I am sweating like a pig.. it can't be hindering anything ...right?
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    HI I have been all over the net looking for my answer. I want to know what is the best level to train in to lose/ burn fat. Most of the sites are different some say 60-70% and others say 70-80% and other say the hinger you go the less you burn fat and others say the opposite. Is there anyone who can tell me the truth please, MY goal is to weigh 62Kg I am 1.68m tall and age 29 I weigh 98 now so I have allot of fat to burn. please please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Simple max heart rate is derived by your age subtracted from 220. So your simple max heartrate is 191. If you need to hit 60-70% of that you'll want a BPM between 115 and 134. 70-80% is 135-153.

Which is better depends on who you ask. I would say start with 60% and keep that up for 30 mins. If it feels too light for you, then ramp up to 70%. After a few weeks, 70% will be easy, then push to 75%.

What's a better solution is to get a heart rate monitor, have it do an analysis on you to get your real max heart rate for your current health and go from there. Always remember, when you're done with your exercising you should be sweating.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hmm I have wondered this also, becuase when on the tread or the elip I go hard, as hard as I can, my heart rate is usally WAY higher than the "fat burn zone" and more in the "cardio train" zone... I figure if I am sweating like a pig.. it can't be hindering anything ...right?
    "Fat Burn Zone" is usually for people who are just starting out exercising. As you progress in your cardio health you'll be able to push harder and you're burning calories. Don't worry. :D
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    ^Dido what he said :) btw though it's not an exact thing since 220-25 (my age) would mean my max HR is 195 and I've gone higher than this during a full out sprint. So, use the formula to get an idea and then listen to your body, but at the same time give it a good push ;) Also, when you are working out intensely it's called Anaerobic exercise - so, yes, I too have read that you burn less fat, because your body needs very quick energy so it burns up carbs. But those carbs in turn will not turn to fat, and so I've found articles that point out either way you will burn fat/lose weight in the end. Also, when you don't have a lot of time to workout (most of us don't) A more intense workout will burn more in a shorter amount of time. AND when you get your heart rate really pumping I have read many articles that say this will boost your metabolism more after the workout. Makes sense to me and it's worked great personally! :) So, hope that helps and if you are interested, google HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) For ex you would run hard (at about 90% of a full out sprint) for 30 sec. And then you would walk briskly for 30 sec (an "active rest") And repeat this about 10-15 times. Follow with a cool down. I used running for an ex. but you can do this with anything, swimming, elliptical, etc. I personally love these workouts bc I only have abt 30 min for my workouts sometimes. You can do this approach to working out 2-3 times/week, but always take a rest day inbetween! Good luck!!
  • chantellryksen
    chantellryksen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My heart rate monitor says my max is 195bpm and I have all the figures including estimated VO2MAx, so basically I should just push to about 70%-80% is that the maximum heart fat rate to burn since 80-90 is more for stamina and speed? so by combining things like Zumba, bellydance, hip hop abs, insanity program Skipping ect, alternating everyday I will be giving my body the best I can?
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The higher your HR the harder your body is working. Now burning out in 20 minutes is another story if you wanted to workout longer.
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    there is huge debate that there is no such thing as the "fat burning zone"..... i don't really care about that one way or another, when i'm at the gym my HR is usually around 180. i think as long as ur exercising and eating right, ur going to lose weight; and if u do it at a steady rate and not drop it too quickly, u won't lose muscle. I have put in fat burn on a treadmill and the pace i have to go to keep my HR in the fat burn zone is so slow that it feels pointless being on a treadmill!!
  • mandamama
    Options
    there is huge debate that there is no such thing as the "fat burning zone"..... i don't really care about that one way or another, when i'm at the gym my HR is usually around 180. i think as long as ur exercising and eating right, ur going to lose weight; and if u do it at a steady rate and not drop it too quickly, u won't lose muscle. I have put in fat burn on a treadmill and the pace i have to go to keep my HR in the fat burn zone is so slow that it feels pointless being on a treadmill!!
    YES!! that is how I feel!!
  • chantellryksen
    chantellryksen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks every one I will stick to my program both eating and exercise and will use the monitor to check my calories burned and just so that I know I am not slaking will set the alarm at min of 70% to motivate me if it goes off wish me luck and here is to everyone's health

15725767.png
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    YES!! that is how I feel!!

That's how I feel too! I read that fat burning zone is a myth, and that it was jumped on by the fitness community withouth sufficient evidence. I too feel that the fat burning zone is just a leisure walk in the park. My HR is suppose to be at 153 during cardio, but I can get it up to 180 without feeling like I'm dying. Stick to the cardio number on the machines, but if you're working out at home, than go by your HRM. You're doing awesome with all that exercise, no need to worry.