Another "Concerned" NSV

Options
davidlbass
davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
One of my coworkers stopped by my space yesterday and sat down with a concerned look on his face. He asked how I was doing.
I said "Fine".
His response was "No, really, how are you doing?"
"Fine, Why?"
"Are you sure you are okay?"
"Yes, really".
"You've gotten so skinny I thought there might be something wrong with you."

I've gotten several reactions like this. Another guy estimated my weight at 35 lbs lighter than I am. I just barely hit the the top of my normal weight range. I'm not sure if these are good or bad NSVs, LOL.

Replies

• DecemberNick
    DecemberNick Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well, assuming they don't put you on suicide watch, I'd say it's a success :-P
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Well...at least they came to you. My coworkers choose to talk about me behind my back or ask the girl I work directly with (who in turn tells me whose is being snoopy).
  • dbarrett311
    Options
    I have had several people tell me I'm "too skinny"... or say things like "you look good, but you don't need to lose any more weight". I have lost 29 lbs and am thin, but not lower than BMI says I should be for my height. Also trying to work in film/tv, so thin is what I need to be. That said, I find those comments really disconcerting and strange. When I was "too fat" no one said anything! Why do people fee free to criticize weight loss? I don't believe I look sickly at all, and I'm betting you don't either. Are these random people just nosy? Jealous? Truly concerned? Who knows... whatever their motivation, I find it really annoying and negative. (But, glad to read your post and know I'm not alone!)
  • Quilled
    Quilled Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes people who work with you a while to see the weightloss. then when they do, they suddenly think you look too thin, because they are used to seeing you much bigger. It will just take them some time to adjust. I got a lot of the same comments and I havent even lost that much. I was over at my mom's house and her and my stepdad both estimated I was only 100-105lbs which would be very unhealthy for me. I literally had to stand on their scale to prove to them that I am nowhere near 100lbs. EVen after that they kept saying "If you lose anymore you will look anarexic" uh, thanks mom? I think they genuinely care, its just they suddenly see all the weight loss and get worried something is wrong. Some people are just at the disadvantage of looking lighter than they are too. When I told people my starting weight I got a resounding "no way, you are lying, your scale was wrong" etc etc etc. I guess I have always looked thinner than I am. I try and keep it to myself but I am shooting for 10 more lbs, it would put me at the middle of my range and the ideal for my height and build, but if I told others that, I think they might try and send me to a place for help.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I had that happen to me ALL the time last year...mostly from people at church asking me (or other people) if I was okay, if I was eating, if I was sick...I mean...come ON! I was at a healthy weight for my height
  • galvodka
    galvodka Posts: 102
    Options
    I think it's more that the change is drastic.....that you look so much thinner that to them you look unhealthy. Most likely if these same people met you for first time at your current weight, they wouldn't think you looked "unhealthy" at all!
  • LindLTailor
    LindLTailor Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. When I was at my lowest weight I got refused for life insurance. I also had a Dr. ask if I had HIV. That was ten years ago. I am a healthier weight now.
  • stormchaser3
    stormchaser3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I get that too. Someone even accused me of being on a lot of good dope. People ask my friends if I am sick. Half the people say I need to stop and my girlfriend hates my new weight. BMI says I'm still just under obese.
  • AlliGM
    AlliGM Posts: 86
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! I think it is nice that your colleague cared enough to stop and talk to you regarding their concerns for your well being. I also think that folks grow accustomed to our chubby face and have a had time getting used to the fit one. As long as you feel healthy and happy about your weight then you are good.

And I'm sure y'all will have a fantastic time on your cruise!

Former East Texas gal. :)
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have gotten the same comments. I just assure them that I do eat and that i am not sick. I tell them that I feel better now that I have lost some weight. Then I have some cady women that don't like to see people succeed at weight loss so they ignore it.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think that's a normal reaction to men who lose a significant amount of weight! But congrats on acheiving success!
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    One of my coworkers stopped by my space yesterday and sat down with a concerned look on his face. He asked how I was doing.
    I said "Fine".
    His response was "No, really, how are you doing?"
    "Fine, Why?"
    "Are you sure you are okay?"
    "Yes, really".
    "You've gotten so skinny I thought there might be something wrong with you."

I've gotten several reactions like this. Another guy estimated my weight at 35 lbs lighter than I am. I just barely hit the the top of my normal weight range. I'm not sure if these are good or bad NSVs, LOL.

i know how this feels.. i love the way i feel, but it made me realize that i didn't want people who genuinely care for me staring at me thinking there is something wrong with me.. so i added two pounds (which have made all the difference) and i still feel great :smile:
  • sc1234
    sc1234 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think it's more that the change is drastic.....that you look so much thinner that to them you look unhealthy. Most likely if these same people met you for first time at your current weight, they wouldn't think you looked "unhealthy" at all!

I totally agree, I think it's just they're not used to you looking like that, they're not used to the change, it'll just take a while for them to get used to it. I've had this happen too and after a while people get used to the way you look now.
  • lonewolf620
    Options
    The only comments I've really been getting aside from "You look great" or "You have much more energy" are things like "Be sure you're getting enough" or "Don't get too skinny now". I generally shrug off those kinds of comments. I figure if I do that people will leave me alone - and they do. Obviously if I got too skinny I'd be miffed at first but gracious about it later.

Congrats and keep it up though :)
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    oh, yeah, when you were "too fat" they were definitely talking about you behind your back too! Like Bonnie Raitt sings, "People are talking, talking 'bout people..." Gossip is the natural state for humans as social animals, so just accept it and drive on. What amazed me when I lost 40 lbs and got lean was the difference in how strangers treated me. I had not realized it before, but boy it was obvious after!
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have lost 129 lbs so far. I am just under a "healthy BMI" for my height.

I am in several different business groups in my community. Randomly people will stop and ask how I am doing, the same as you. Only expecting me too say OH, yeah! I have blank illness or what ever. I explain to them that I have intentionally lost weight, for health reasons.

I am constantly being told I am too thin. I look anorexic etc. I even get told I exercise too much and don't eat enough. OK! So I stop exercising eat more, what happens? I gain weight! Defeats the entire purpose of losing the weight to begin with. Inactivity and over induldging lead to obeseity. Now I am being told to stop being active!!!!! It frustrates me to no end. But as others have mentioned people are use to seeing you at a certain weight, and then you lose weight. There response is going to be you are too skinny. I guess it's from one extreme to the other.

I don't feel I am too skinny. According to my BMI I am only 9 lbs under the over weight category. Too close for comfort for this girlie. When I am in the middle of a healthy BMI, then I will be more content!

Take Care~
  • jilers
    jilers Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the comment. I used to work with anerxorics (I;m not saying u r!!) and since I don't actual see you I don't know. Sorry if I upset or offended you. It is quite an achievement to lose the weightyou have!!!
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    Yeah, I've gotten the "Are you o.k. healthwise?" and the "You don't need to lose any more." Meanwhile on the doctor's scale, I'm still overweight. Nice to know that I carry it well but I can't let it determine my actions.

Congrats on the noticable change, BTW!
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    people always assume something is wrong if you've lost weight. Why cant we just be "healthy" ?? We either too fat, chubby or now too skinny!

Take it as compliment cause you look great! Congrats on the new you!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!