Are you losing weight as a couple??

Options
I get SO mad at my fiance (not really, but it does peeve me) that he is losing weight, he LOOKS so much slimmer. WTF! We do the exact same workouts, the only difference is he eats more calories than I do. And he drinks a protein shake in the mornings and I dont.

But I look at him, and he looks like he's melting, and I look at myself and I look the same :(

Sorry had to vent.

Replies

• AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    No one else is having this issue?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Women, by nature, have a higher body fat percentage than men. Men also tend to lose weight faster. If you keep comparing yourself to him and his weight loss, you will eventually drive yourself nuts or give up. Or both.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    My husband is a lot bigger than me. I weight 185 currently, he is probably at 265~. He was 300 last year and 40 lbs just melted off! He did work hard, but so did I. However, I have less to lose overall.

Women do have a higher percentage of body fat than men, as someone before said. I wouldn't worry about it. Some people also just lose faster than most, it happens. Maybe change up your diet or workouts to see what might work better for you? I've "heard" that protein in the morning can be a great thing, but I have no science to back that up.

Good luck, and don't stress about it, you will get there :D
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Women, by nature, have a higher body fat percentage than men. Men also tend to lose weight faster. If you keep comparing yourself to him and his weight loss, you will eventually drive yourself nuts or give up. Or both.

^ Bingo. Weight loss in men and women aren't equivalent, our bodies just store weight in different ways. Celebrate YOUR success :)
  • freckles465
    Options
    Yes, my boyfriend and I started dieting/exercising a month ago. He only weighs himself every 2 weeks. A week ago, he was 5 lbs down. As of yesterday, I was only 1 lb down. We have been going to the gym the same amount, and working out just as hard. We have been eating the same kinds of foods as well.. VERY frustrating.
  • mumofflea
    mumofflea Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yeah me and my partner are trying to lose weight, and he always does better than me. He also makes it look easy. I think it's because his at work all day and has plenty to keep him occupied, and I'm at home all day look after our 2 year old, so have more time to think how hungry i am.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Same issue here. My husband says it's because he has more to lose. He told me his body was like a mover carrying a stack of eight boxes and just begging to put down a few of them, and mine is more like a mover carrying one box. Sure I'd like to put mine down, but it's much easier to carry than the whole stack. He's pretty cute.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My hubs and I lost weight together, and while it wasn't any easier for him, people did notice it more on him right away.

I was jealous he had 'extra' calories each day compared to me, but he assured me that he felt just as starving. It annoys me that he burns way more calories than me doing the same workout, but I've come to terms with it.

On the up side, I have been able to maintain it better than him. We started counting closely again at the beginning of the year and I have a lot less ground to make up.
  • vallejos6
    vallejos6 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This always happened in the past with hubby and I, but as we both get older, it's gotten harder and harder for him to lose (and keep it off) and we're fairly even at the moment. In fact, last week, I, for the first time in our marriage of 24 years weigh less than he does. But, when we were younger, I swore he just had to say "dropping a few pounds would be good" and he'd wake up 5 pounds lighter, and I just had to say "ooh, look, it's chocolate" and I'd wake up 5 pounds heavier!!
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    We are both trying to lose weight, but he has not had as much success yet as I have. I'm not sure what's stalling him because from our talks about it, mentally he's prepared to lose the weight but it is coming off very slowly. It's hard for me to sit by and bite my tongue with advice, but I tend to try and be too helpful and he then gets defensive. He's 5'10" and 310 lbs so he has a fair bit to lose and I think 1lb or 2lb losses every 2-3 weeks seems slow. So I try to focus on myself and be a motivator by example! But if anyone has advice for me in supporting my man I would love it :)
  • lore2810
    lore2810 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    We did the 17dd together for a month, he lost more than me and had less to lose overall, kinda annoying.
    BUT on the bright side this is the first time he has tried to lose weight with me so I appreciated the support :)
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The support is definitely more of a positive than a negative. Even if I am gaining weight for like a week in a row (like last week for example), I'm thankful that at least I'm not around someone who's constantly shoving desserts in my face or cooking/ordering fabulous greasy food. It would be so much more difficult!
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say my husband is doing this with me. He has a gym membership but rarely uses it. But I figure if I can do this alone, it's probably a good thing.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    We are both trying to lose weight, but he has not had as much success yet as I have. I'm not sure what's stalling him because from our talks about it, mentally he's prepared to lose the weight but it is coming off very slowly. It's hard for me to sit by and bite my tongue with advice, but I tend to try and be too helpful and he then gets defensive. He's 5'10" and 310 lbs so he has a fair bit to lose and I think 1lb or 2lb losses every 2-3 weeks seems slow. So I try to focus on myself and be a motivator by example! But if anyone has advice for me in supporting my man I would love it :)

Do you two do work outs together? Sometimes it helps to work out together and to gauge how much effort you're putting into it when another person is there. A big problem for my husband was that he doesn't eat sweets really, but he eats meal portions that are way too big. Logging on here woke him up to that.

You could make a progress chart for each of you so that he sees that he is making progress, regardless of how fast. For example: a cork board with a chart of his beginning weight and goal weight with a push pin to mark his progress, his "before" photo, helpful tips for each month, encouraging quotes like "The slower you lose it, the better the chance that you'll keep it off!"
    Having a visual guide like that really helps some people stay on track and stay motivated. Plus it can be fun, which is important. Maybe you can do fun things together to get moving like hiking, bike riding, rowing, dancing, that kind of thing.

Good luck!
  • ThatNurseKt
    ThatNurseKt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My husband has really done much and still lost 22lbs. I don't know why it irritates me because I've lost 60. I just feel like i have been strict with my diet and really trying and he is losing weight just by eating the healthier food i buy now.