Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Best HRM for good price?

Hi everyone

I was just wondering what HRM was the best for someone looking for one under a budget. It would be used more for counting calories burned rather than for heart rate information.

Thanks!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    To get a more accurate calorie burn you need one with a chest strap that monitors your heart rate while you workout. They aren't cheap, but you can find good deals on eBay or Amazon & save over buying one in a store.

There are heaps of topics on this subject here - use the search feature & look for HRM or heart rate monitor. Lots of info & opinions on favorite brands, good prices, etc.
  • To get a good idea of what to look at, you need to be more specific with what your budget is.

I bought a used Zephyr HxM on Ebay for $40 (goes for $75 retail). It's very accurate when compared to exercise equipment , and it sends the data via bluetooth to my phone (Android). It also ties into SportyPal Pro for outdoor workouts.

Several people like the polar series of watches/chest straps, but I've only got experience with the Zephyr. What are you looking for? Watch? Watch and chest strap? Data collection/computer connectivity? Just something to glance at while you work out?
  • My budget would be no more than £60. And I would prefer one with a chest strap and watch. Doesnt really need to connect to computer as long as I can read the details from the watch perhaps.

Sorry - not very clued up on these things, hence looking for some advice
  • I don't see why a Polar FT2 wouldn't suffice then, if all you want is real-time on the watch.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polar-FT2-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B003K3G0QW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

You can get fancier models with more features, but if all you want is to read the heart rate, no reason to spend more.

(Note: I've never used the FT2, only read reviews when I was shopping myself)
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    I have a Polar FT4. Love it. Did a lot of research before I bought it and for what I wanted in functionality and what I was willing to pay (around $65), it was the best rated.
  • MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    The Polar FT4 which most people rave about it is on Amazon for £54.99 at the moment (well it has been for a good month or more) The only problem I've seen with that is the battery, I think it needs to be sent back to Polar to be replaced but since you're in the UK it seems to be a bother to do so. I could be wrong but that's what I've read.

Not sure peoples views on the Sigma Onyx Balance but it is £39.42. Both have a watch and chest strap but the price on the Sigma is what worries me. it sounds too cheap for a decent HRM but it might surprise me. I'm also HRM shopping at the moment, I'm so indecisive as I don't want to waste money on something that doesn't work well.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I have a New Balance N4 - retails for around $70, but I picked up a brand new one on eBay for $26. Works great! (I think $26 = about £16?) Check out the different models on Amazon and read the user reviews - lots of great info there, too.