Exercise

Options
Hi I just started comitting to MFP yesterday and am doing well with the meeting my caloric goal so far. But I am very new to exercising and not sure how to get started! I have an elliptical that I use but I am not sure how to go about toning, strength training, etc...Any insight or advice would be helpful...Thanks!

Replies

• Jalachri
    Options
    I started out the same as you. I have always walked/jogged on my treadmill but that was it. I started doing JIllian Michaels 30 day shred level 1 and I did that for 3 weeks 6 days a week and then moved up to level 2 and so on. Thats when I started loseing my weight fast. I also was eating 1200 cal. a day. now I do all her videos, Ijust choose 1 a day and I also try and walk/jog 1-2 miles on my treadmill everyday on top of the videos. Good luck-hope that helps. I also felt like the weight training in her videos is what helped me the most :)
  • jmbrummett
    Options
    Thank you so much! Your post was very helpful. I have heard her videos worked well but never knew of anyone that has tried them. I am going to buy that this weekend. Sounds like a good place to start! Thanks again for the advice : )
  • Jalachri
    Options
    No problem :)
  • MndaLynn
    MndaLynn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels! Her videos are great for toning, and you can get them pretty cheap on Amazon. I have the 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, and Six Week Six Pack. She is so positive and motivating, and keeps you going, like she is actually in the room with you. The best is when she tells you that she has 400 pound people that can do this, and so can you. There are simple modifications for when you are just starting out, to make some of the moves easier, but still work the same muscles. I have never done them every day, because my muscles gets sore, and everything I have ever read said it isn't good to work the same muscles every day. I incorporate them with walking/running on my treadmill. I love that the workouts (30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30) are only 20 minutes. You never have the excuse of saying, "I don't have time for that".
  • Jalachri
    Options
    I agree with the 20 min. thing! So RAD haha I at first did them every other day and then walked/jgged 4 miles on the treadmill but now I try and do one everyday plus treadmill. I also love shredding it with weights!
  • PepperMan98
    Options
    Depending on your ultimate goal, you may want to try a few different things. If you want to just lose weight then try cardio, 45-60 minutes, plus circuit training. On average, cardio will keep your metabolism going for 24 hours, where strength exercises will keep it going for up to 72 hours.

Circuit training, if you are unsure, is where you do one set of each exercise and go through the entire routine, then repeat a second and third time, with little to no rest between machines. This keeps the heart rate up higher, and sustained, This burns WAY more calories, while keeping the muscles warm and confused. I would do this every other day with cardio. For me I do this, let's say, Monday's, then on Tues I will do only cardio, then repeat.

If you want to build some muscle while burning, then I would break up the routines. I break mine into Legs/Back/Bi's one day, and Chest/Abs/Tri's the next, then cardio only the 3rd day. Does that make sense at all?

For my cardio I used to do 60 minutes on the elliptical on the interval setting. I did resistance 20/16, and burned around 1100 kcals. Now I have added a 30 minute run before the elliptical. i know that's 90 minutes of cardio, but I find it works really well for me. I run 30 minutes at 5.0 mph, level 10, on the random setting. Burns around 420 kcals.

I hope this helps some :-)
  • natuhlay
    natuhlay Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've had an interest in learning pilates for some time now, and I found a YouTube channel that teaches basic moves and then goes onto more advanced exercises as well for people who are more experienced. I would definitely recommend doing the beginner videos first though because it can get intense!

http://www.youtube.com/blogilates
    is her channel. She also has some great cardio workouts too! I love them. :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    If you do the 30 Day Shred, Jillian said on her radio show that it's meant to be done 4-5 days a week. You shouldn't use weights every day because your muscles need a chance to recover, and I've heard of people trying to do it for 30 days straight. You need at least one rest day where you either take the whole day off from exercise, or just do something that's not too strenuous. The Shred is great. I was about 260 when I did it, and my biceps were lookin' pretty good from holding up all that weight doing the bajillian planks she makes you do! I'm finishing up a round of Turbo Jam this week and starting Ripped in 30 next Monday. I'm kind of excited!
  • tatertotfishstick
    tatertotfishstick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've only been on here for 2 weeks and started working out at the Y. I do Zumba and Pilates there. If you are intrested in workout videos... check out your local library. I rented several before I found a few I wanted to invest in. Mine has the biggest loser line, zumba, all the good ones. But I don't stay motivated at home well with 2 kids and housework... the YMCA has great classes.
  • fragilegoat
    fragilegoat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've heard exactly what PepperMan98 says, but I'm still a bit confused. If I do circuit training, can I still do strength exercises? Is circuit training already considered a form of strength training? Am I incorrect to assume that the 30 Day Shred is a form of circuit training? (For what it's worth, I'm trying to do the 30 Day Shred every other day, and it's absolutely kicking my butt -- in a great way, of course. Highly recommended).
    Depending on your ultimate goal, you may want to try a few different things. If you want to just lose weight then try cardio, 45-60 minutes, plus circuit training. On average, cardio will keep your metabolism going for 24 hours, where strength exercises will keep it going for up to 72 hours.

Circuit training, if you are unsure, is where you do one set of each exercise and go through the entire routine, then repeat a second and third time, with little to no rest between machines. This keeps the heart rate up higher, and sustained, This burns WAY more calories, while keeping the muscles warm and confused. I would do this every other day with cardio. For me I do this, let's say, Monday's, then on Tues I will do only cardio, then repeat.

If you want to build some muscle while burning, then I would break up the routines. I break mine into Legs/Back/Bi's one day, and Chest/Abs/Tri's the next, then cardio only the 3rd day. Does that make sense at all?

For my cardio I used to do 60 minutes on the elliptical on the interval setting. I did resistance 20/16, and burned around 1100 kcals. Now I have added a 30 minute run before the elliptical. i know that's 90 minutes of cardio, but I find it works really well for me. I run 30 minutes at 5.0 mph, level 10, on the random setting. Burns around 420 kcals.

• knelson422
    Options
    My primary exercise was running for a long time and I loved it because it was my time alone, outside, and one of the few things I did just for myself. I did several races and it was great. I started doing the 30 day shred and running, alternating days, and I noticed a change in my upper body and back, they became much stronger. After doing 30 day shred, I ran and did JM "No Trouble Zones" (I think) and that really toned my upper body and legs a lot. Now I am doing Bob Harper Inside Out Method Cardio and Pure Strength DVD's and I am in LOVE. What I have learned is this: The total body workouts like JM and BH do just that, work my entire body. Everything is getting stronger. When I run, my legs work really hard, and my lungs, but the rest of me does not seem to tone a lot. Also, I notice that my body does not feel as beat up because it is lower impact. I will probably start running again when it is not so cold and dark in the early AM, but for now I am very happy with the workouts. Good luck. Whatever exercise you start with is awesome. Glad you are here.
  • PepperMan98
    Options
    When I say circuit training I mean with strength exercises like Bench, Incline, Leg Press, Chest Fly's, etc. I have never done any workouts like a 30-Day Shred, or anything along those line, so I don't know if they are around free weights, machines, cardio, resistance, etc. I would assume that the Shred would replace your strength exercises, but if its just a form of cardio, then by all means, do strength along with it. I don't see why not. Sorry for the confusion, I am good at that :-)
    I've heard exactly what PepperMan98 says, but I'm still a bit confused. If I do circuit training, can I still do strength exercises? Is circuit training already considered a form of strength training? Am I incorrect to assume that the 30 Day Shred is a form of circuit training? (For what it's worth, I'm trying to do the 30 Day Shred every other day, and it's absolutely kicking my butt -- in a great way, of course. Highly recommended).

• BillNich
    Options
    JmBrummett,
    If your considering a form of strength training try P90X. It's muscle confusion at it's best..You will lose body fat and get toned up..Your body will not have a chance to settle into muscle memory because of the mix up in strength training "HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT" If you want to know more about it I would be glad to tell you more..

Coach Bill "Getting People Fit"
  • jmbrummett
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the great advice! You all have given me so many options! Thanks for all the support...This sight is really helping me stay motivated! So much support!
  • jmbrummett
    Options

• rebekahpowers1
    rebekahpowers1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters about Jillian! I have been doing the ripped in 30 and love, love, love it! I do her DVD 5-6 days per week in addition to 30 minutes of a run/walk on the treadmill! Keep up the great work!!!! I have seen results. I've been doing this since 1/2/12 and I have lost 8 pounds.
  • jmbrummett
    Options
    So do the Jillian Michaels videos help tone and strenthen your body or just burn fat?
  • cylima
    cylima Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My boss has been doing this exercise with KettleBells. I believe the workout is called Kettlenetics Slim and Tone Exercise. It is a 20 minute exercise that warms you up, works you out and then cools you down. This is my third day on MFP and third day doing the workout, she has two bells so we work out together and honestly, I don't dread the exercise. I will add walking to my routine as soon as the weather is a little better.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    So do the Jillian Michaels videos help tone and strenthen your body or just burn fat?

It will do both because you're using free weights and body weight, plus cardio. The Shred videos and Ripped in 30 are about 30 mins with warm-up and cooldown. Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and No More Trouble Zones are under an hour. I plan on doing Ripped in 30 for 5 days, and then my Jazzercise Burlesque on the 6th day. I couldn't believe how much fun that workout was!