controversial? 10 fitness facts everybody gets wrong

Options
13»

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    The human body is not meant to look like that.

Oh look here is god telling us how he meant for us to look.

Maybe just accept that these people who love to be big, or love to be strong, and if they didn't want to be they would probably stop eating/working out/juicing so much.
  • addisondisease
    Options
    double post
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Maybe just accept that these people who love to be big, or love to be strong, and if they didn't want to be they would probably stop eating/working out/juicing so much.

Or their paychecks depend on it.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I really, really get tired of hearing "this is wrong, this is right" when it comes to losing weight. I'm not in the greatest mood, but there's just too much information, and worse, misinformation out there.

This. I ran (albeit slowly) yesterday and today. I certainly felt hungry afterwards. I don't even understand the argument that exercise doesn't cause hunger. If calories are burned during exercise and we gain calories from food, how the heck could one not be hungry after exercise?

I get hungry when I'm bored. I get hungry when I think I should be eating a meal. I get hungry when in the car for a long time. I get hungry thinking about food. Our body's need for food has nothing to do with being "hungry".

But your body doesn't need food when you are bored or in the car for a long time. These times would be more desirous than need based. Those things are not burning calories and energy. Exercise does thus the hunger.

My point was that anything can make you feel hungry. Exercising may make you feel "hungry", but does it really have anything to do with the fact that your body is really in need of calorie intake?

I think most Americans (myself included) have lost the ability to recognize true hunger. So it is really hard to tell if my exercise is making me hungry, or if my brain is telling me I worked out, so I can eat more. I am finding my sense of hunger is a really important sensation to get back in touch with. I have to remind myself that I am not hungry just because the McD's commericial came on and showed me french fries.
  • addisondisease
    Options

Or their paychecks depend on it.

GP yet most of these pros have other jobs. Coleman was/is a police officer in arizona if i remember right, dave tate is the founder of elite-fts, many are now strength coaches, writers etc
  • addisondisease
    Options
    I have to remind myself that I am not hungry just because the McD's commericial came on and showed me french fries.

I read this as showered!

mmmmm french fry shower!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Exercise is generally an appetite suppressant.

This can't be true. Science can't even prove that exercise is an effective way to lose weight, so this is contradictory to the notion that it can suppress appetite.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh at the Iggy Pop comment visioning a commercial. Do Heroin? Get skinny and everyone can see your abs.

Not sure about the Low Carb craze. Long term, one can't stay on it without health risks. I've much more success on the Perfect 10. If you eat healthy fats with the good carbs, carbs are not an issue and will give you more energy and still lose weight.

Ah running. As a used to be competitive runner from track in high school and college, I can say that I've had my fair share of knee surgeries. I've kept in touch with colleges and almost 80% of us have had joint, tendon or bone issues for all those extreme days. Cross training with running I don't think would hurt though...but I do wish I hadn't been so involved in sports growing up as a kid and more in moderation.

So overall, some hits and misses for me. However right on the $ for #1. If you don't like what you are doing, more than likely you will bore out and fall off the exercise wagon. Main thing, just stay active. Do anything :)
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I think it's a fair point that it is up to them, but this goes beyond evolution. When you use juice, it's anything but natural. The biggest irony being of course that something which is good for us becomes unhealthy when taken to that extreme. But they know the risks I guess.
  • LA723
    LA723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I really, really get tired of hearing "this is wrong, this is right" when it comes to losing weight. I'm not in the greatest mood, but there's just too much information, and worse, misinformation out there.

This. I ran (albeit slowly) yesterday and today. I certainly felt hungry afterwards. I don't even understand the argument that exercise doesn't cause hunger. If calories are burned during exercise and we gain calories from food, how the heck could one not be hungry after exercise?

I get hungry when I'm bored. I get hungry when I think I should be eating a meal. I get hungry when in the car for a long time. I get hungry thinking about food. Our body's need for food has nothing to do with being "hungry".

But your body doesn't need food when you are bored or in the car for a long time. These times would be more desirous than need based. Those things are not burning calories and energy. Exercise does thus the hunger.

My point was that anything can make you feel hungry. Exercising may make you feel "hungry", but does it really have anything to do with the fact that your body is really in need of calorie intake?

I would think so. It makes sense to me, really.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

I would think so. It makes sense to me, really.

Yeah since our bodies tend to be resistant to decreasing our fat stores, i would think hunger would be a logical next step. Maybe they mean "temporary" appetite suppressant?
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I knew or believed all of these things, except I did think that adding muscle added more than 4 cals/day/lb to RMR (but knew it was nowhere near the 50 that people throw out). Also, swimming makes me hungry as *kitten*, but that might just be being cold, and the fact that I hate swimming and love eating.
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. Bump for later
  • WellnessPro
    Options
    It's a poorly written, shoddy article full of misinformation. The one about low-carb diets being ineffective and dangerous was the one I found most offensive. So much so, that I wrote a blog post on it here: http://www.wellness-pro.co.uk/2012/01/31/the-pro-low-fat-brigade-get-off-your-high-horse/

Just because this sort of article is "published" by a reputable source doesn't make it true!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    It's a poorly written, shoddy article full of misinformation. The one about low-carb diets being ineffective and dangerous was the one I found most offensive. So much so, that I wrote a blog post on it here: http://www.wellness-pro.co.uk/2012/01/31/the-pro-low-fat-brigade-get-off-your-high-horse/

Just because this sort of article is "published" by a reputable source doesn't make it true!

What specifically is wrong and what evidence do you have to support your point of view?

All diets work in the same way. They restrict your intake of calories one way or the other. Numerous studies have been done and its been proven scientifically that low carb diets do not offer a metabolic advantage over carb diets.

Do you know the difference between science and dogma?
  • gj4man
    gj4man Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Linked from that article
    AHA Science Advisory

Dietary Protein and Weight Reduction

A Statement for Healthcare Professionals From the Nutrition Committee of the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism of the American Heart Association

High-protein diets have recently been proposed as a “new” strategy for successful weight loss. However, variations of these diets have been popular since the 1960s. High-protein diets typically offer wide latitude in protein food choices, are restrictive in other food choices (mainly carbohydrates), and provide structured eating plans. They also often promote misconceptions about carbohydrates, insulin resistance, ketosis, and fat burning as mechanisms of action for weight loss. Although these diets may not be harmful for most healthy people for a short period of time, there are no long-term scientific studies to support their overall efficacy and safety. These diets are generally associated with higher intakes of total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol because the protein is provided mainly by animal sources. In high-protein diets, weight loss is initially high due to fluid loss related to reduced carbohydrate intake, overall caloric restriction, and ketosis-induced appetite suppression. Beneficial effects on blood lipids and insulin resistance are due to the weight loss, not to the change in caloric composition. Promoters of high-protein diets promise successful results by encouraging high-protein food choices that are usually restricted in other diets, thus providing initial palatability, an attractive alternative to other weight-reduction diets that have not worked for a variety of reasons for most individuals. High-protein diets are not recommended because they restrict healthful foods that provide essential nutrients and do not provide the variety of foods needed to adequately meet nutritional needs. Individuals who follow these diets are therefore at risk for compromised vitamin and mineral intake, as well as potential cardiac, renal, bone, and liver abnormalities overall.

I think the AHA is probably fairly trustworthy tbh.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    yeah - a lot of the article is shoddy for sure.

In regards to appetite and exercise, if I recall, weight bearing exercise releases something that TEMPORARILY suppresses appetite. Generally after I run, I am not hungry until about 30 min later and then I am STARVING.

Swimming is not weight bearing, hence no suppression which causes the immediate hunger that would normally be pushed off a bit. Man, I remember being at a swim meet and constantly eating.