hunger

Options
I was wondering... Is it normal to feel hungry when you start a to use MFP (= count calories, eat the exact amount MFP recommend to lose 1 pound per week) ?

I've been at it for 4 days and I feel hungry, especially in the evening (when I used to eat garbage foods, like chips and chocolate...). Is it a "true hunger" telling me I dont eat enough (for my health) or is it a "bad hunger" trying to make me eat chips again ?! o.O

Replies

• SparksFly460
    Options
    That depends....
    Can't really tell since your diary is private. If you're eating ENOUGH and a nutritious, balance diet...and NETTING at your BMR or AT LEAST 1200 (netting!!) then it's bad hunger....it's your body screaming out for the treats you were having before you started cutting them out. Think of it as junk-detox

If you're Working out and ONLY eating let's say 1200 and netting WAY below that....then you are actually hungry.

You don't have to experience HUNGER during weight loss. Bumping up protein & fiber will prevent that :-)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest it's an emotional (comfort) craving if doing something else to distract you makes the craving go away or if waiting it out sees it go away.

Otherwise I'd say it was physical and you may need to eat more.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    If you re are eating the calories the MFP gives you and the extra you exercise, than NO, It's not normal for me to be hungry. Just the opposite fore me.

Check out your reports, check nutrition. If youre severely below your line, you are NOT eating enough. You should be eating your NET calories. Cal - exercise = total net calories.

I will let you decide if you want me as a friend or not

Hi, I'm Barbra (my friends call me Barbi) from Indianapolis, IN (The States)
    I've lost the same 80 lbs 3 times until now. This will be the last time because I've finally figured out and learned the key to weight loss and it's not depriving yourself or even going to bed hungry. YOU EAT!!

I believe in eating most of your calories burnt by exercise to keep my weight loss steady and fuel your body for the exercise I am doing. (look up FAQ on Net calories OR my blog on Net calories) My net calories do not fall below 1200. Period.

I believe you have to eat the calories MFP tells you too which is on your diary as "my goal"
    I believe your "net" should never go under 1200

I will not tell you your doing a good job on your daily post when you've completing your food diary if your diary is closed or you're under your "net" calories.

I WILL be a great support if you are eating right, exercising, and doing it RIGHT without going hungry.
  • Fineraziel
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. :) I just adjusted my settings so my diary is public now (I have nothing to hide! lol :D). My netcalories is always over 1200 : no way I would "starve" myself! ;) But I go to bed hungry... Maybe I dont count well my calories in and out ?! :S Or maybe its just the habit of eating junk snacks in the evening... :S Im still wondering...
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    ok well i have an answer for you from my experence im always up late im talking about like 2 at least most dayd but i also get up at 8 am and because of my longer day i eat more meals i always save calories for a nightly snack because im used to eating at night dosnt help that my bf works nights so thats when he comes home and has dinner and him eating makes me hungry so if your used to eating at night eat something just make it healthy and cut back earlier if you need to to have those calories to eat... and if your over what you want the meal to be i usally go for a walk after dinner if its too much and its gonna send me over
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    When I started, I was RAVENOUS in the evenings, even if i had all good calories. My poor fingernails took a tremendous hit! They were gnawed to the quick!

THEN, my dh suggested I simply leave some calories for the evening when I needed them most. I hear all kinds of things about eating after 6pm and such, BUT if a snack (and make it a good one) can keep me out of the kitchen and away from binging, then I am willing to do that trade off..