Seven months of (admittedly inconsistent) strength-training

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
Actually, more like six months of admittedly inconsistent strength-training, plus slacking big time during the entire month of January while recovering from a stress fracture. :wink: But I'm about ready to get back into it, and this is just the motivation I need.

In June, I reached my initial goal weight of 135#. Since then, I dipped down to 125# and after going on maintenance officially in October, my weight fluctuated back to 130#. But my clothing size was smaller, so I didn't care about the scale. Between the holidays and my (so far) month of recovery, I tend to average around 132-133# now. So the actual weight difference in these pictures is only about three pounds.

camo-suit-front-june-jan.jpg

But here's the part that really amazes me... I had a Freudian typo putting my image tag... I typed "omg" instead of "img." It fits.

camo-suit-back-june-jan.jpg

I haven't been following any structured lifting plan... so far I only do weight machines. I was all set to start Jamie Eason's Livefit in January when I got my stress fracture and couldn't do any squats or lunges. (And no running! :sad: ) So I'm excited as all get-out at what I'm going to be able to accomplish when I'm fully recovered.

Replies

• GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I really want to start adding some strength to my routine as well... are the machines ok to start out with? I am not even sure what to do at this point and I don't have the $$ right now to get a trainer.

How do you split up your workouts between the different muscle groups?
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    And by the way, although it is quite apparent from your photos... YOU LOOK PHENOMENAL!!!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    I believe free weights are better, but the machines are much less intimidating. Plus, I belong to Planet Fitness and their free weight options aren't that great.

I typically do (did) full body twice a week... making a round of all the machines, doing either 2 sets of 12, or 3 sets of 8, as heavy as I could. Start with about ten minutes on a treadmill, bike or elliptical to get warmed up, then hit the weights for about thirty minutes, then I'd do more cardio just because it's a pain in the butt for me to go to the gym, so I don't want to spend more time commuting to and fro than I spend there. :happy:
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    OMG is exactly right. Same weight, two different bodies. Beautiful results!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear stress fracture is healed up and you are ready to go!!! :)
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I've already told you this but you are my inspiration!!!
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Wow! I hope you are not offended, but I have to say your *kitten* looks like it belongs to a 19 year old! Amazing! I am going to hit the weights tonight! Thanks for the inspiration!
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Way to go!

My ulitmate goal is 135# too, but I am still trying to get the mini goal of 140#.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Wow! I hope you are not offended, but I have to say your *kitten* looks like it belongs to a 19 year old! Amazing! I am going to hit the weights tonight! Thanks for the inspiration!

:blushing: There is no 39 year old in the world who would be offended by that. :happy:
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Not to sound weird just like the other people said, your bootie looks amazing! I'm 22 and my butt doesn't look that good, hasn't since I was 17. Jealous! Great job!
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yeah - have to echo the others, one of the biggest differences is your butt. WTG!!
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You are such an inspiration! You are at the weight that I want to be at I have about 30 pounds to lose to get there. i have to buckle down and get my act together!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    OMG lifting weights made your hair shorter....

on a more serious note..... you look great, thanks for sharing!
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Wow...awesome results!!!
  • fitmomma23
    fitmomma23 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I really want to start adding some strength to my routine as well... are the machines ok to start out with? I am not even sure what to do at this point and I don't have the $$ right now to get a trainer.

How do you split up your workouts between the different muscle groups?

If you want to lift you should do it in lower and upper body sections. When you do your upper body work on your Back, chest, shoulders, biceps and triceps. Then for your lower body do your quads, hams, calves and abs. This is what is said to do in the "Body For Life" lifting work outs. And I think its great =-) Hope that helps!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I can definitely see an increase in your shoulder area (wow!) and a huge decrease of cellulite in the back of your thighs...exactly what happened for me!! Strength training rocks!! Good job!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Love it! I think I remember seeing your weight loss success pics before? Anyway I love to see stories that show that it's not just about weight loss. :) You look great!
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    Thank you for posting these pictures! More motivation for me to keep lifting. I have serious "butt envy" right now! :laugh:
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job !! I love seeing/hearing womens success with strength training!!
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    I can definitely see an increase in your shoulder area (wow!) and a huge decrease of cellulite in the back of your thighs...exactly what happened for me!! Strength training rocks!! Good job!

Thanks! I'm amazed at that because I've had cellulite since I was a teenage, and I was under 110# then.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!