ideal weight

Options
well folks.just checked out my ideal weight online and seems a but extreme(or maybe not?). im 6ft 1 now 236lbs and ideal weight supposedly around the 175lbs mark....Thats like an extra 60lbs i need to lose to be in a "healthy" manner.is this right or ehats your thoughts please? :-)
cheers

Replies

• Cat_296
    Options
    Get your body fat % measured - this will give you your lean body mass and you can come to a sensible figure from that (somewhere in the range 15-20% is classed as healthy/average for a male).

It all depends on your frame and how much lean muscle you carry as to whether 175lbs is sensible to aim for.....

Hope this helps.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3 and half and I got 9st 3 (129 lbs) , I'm not sure I can get that far down without looking like a skeleton, and on TV diet shows they are saying when someones around my height 5ft 3/5 ft 4, they are saying the person should be around 8 and half stone, there's no way I'm gonna get that far down!

My weight seems to have come off my face, neck and top before its all come off my tummy, and I'd like to lose more around tummy but don't want to end up looking like a pregnant skeleton if I'm genetically predisposed to have a 'bit of tummy' so the little bump is still there even when I get really thin!

I would like to see 9st something looking back at me when I get on a scale.. I'm 10st now (140lbs) so I'd be happy with another 4lb off to be about 9st 8.

I've just got in size 14 jeans from being a (UK) size 20 so personally I'm thrilled but looking at clothes on-line it still says like XL for a size 14-16 which then makes me feel I'm still not out of the 'fat' category! .. these used to be a Medium years ago and anything above a 20 was XL, XXL etc.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I dont think recommended weights like that take into acount body type and muscle mass... if you are comfortable and where you want to be at your GW don't stress it...
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you're going by BMI, don't. BMI is a rough indicator of overall health and does not factor in bodyfat percentage. I weight 207lbs right now with a 43" waist and I'm considered overweight. If I was 207lbs with a 34" waist I'd be fit and muscular, and still considered overweight. A better indicator is waist to hip ratio.

Brock Lesner (6'3" 266lbs) is considered obese by BMI, but what do you think?

brocklesnar.jpg
  • whannon86
    Options
    thefuzz thats crazy never would have thought that bmi would be like that.no wonder people can be lead to believe their overweiflght if like me they dont fully understand bmi. how do i get a more accurate reading of my ideal weight. cat296 i think i would be quute happy round the 200lbs mark.
  • karig66
    Options
    I think for the most part the bmi is pretty accurate. Perception of one's self is always skewed I think. I always thought if I lost 20 pounds I'd be doing good and then I lost the 20 and realized I was still fat and needed to lose 40 more. Americans eat way too much and way too much of the wrong foods. Good luck in your journey!
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Ideal weight is just that -- an ideal. What do YOU want? My advice would be to set a target for 210 and see how you feel when you get there. Lower it 10 lbs at a time until you're happy and feeling healthy. I think that once you near 200, you'll find it difficult to lose much beyond that and it will be a real struggle... so don't set yourself up for failure. Pace yourself :)

For me, I'd 5'1 and about 137 lbs. right now. If I went by 'ideal weight' and BMI, I'd have to be 115 lbs, which isn't happening with my body shape. I haven't been that small since I was 16, and I would never want to be that thin again.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    MY ideal weight is 120 but at 5'8 I dont think thats considered healthy
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    My goal is the high side of what it says for me which is 170. Im 5'9" and weigh 190 now I have lost 20 or so so far > Will see how I wear 170 i guess. Good Luck everyone!!
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Brock Lesner (6'3" 266lbs) is considered obese by BMI, but what do you think?

brocklesnar.jpg

I think YUM!!
  • Karstin55
    Options
    Depending on your body build 175 lbs seems a bit scrawny for someone 6'1". Maybe if you're a teenager and haven't grown in to your adult body it would be okay. But I imagine if you have any muscle on your body at all you'll weigh more than 175. My husband is only 5'8" and when he was much younger and still able to run and workout he had only 9% body fat but wighed more than 175 lbs. Just focus on what's a healthy weight for you.
  • n8tureboy
    n8tureboy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I could never understand the Ideal Body weight calculations anyways. I'm in the same boat I'm 6ft4 and it tells me that my ideal body weight is 184. That would mean loosing over 120Lbs. As i am i don't look over weight, maybe a little chubby. I figure a safe weight for me woulld be about 260Lbs, I'll decide when i hit that if it's healthy to loose more.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here is a general rule of thumb: for a medium frame man the "ideal" weight is 106lbs at 5' and add 6lbs/inch, so at 6'1", that would ideally put you at 184 (106+13*6). Now if you have a small frame up to 10% lower is ideal (166), of if you have a lot of muscle or a large frame 10% higher is ideal (202.5).

For a woman the calculation is 100 lbs @ 5' and add 5lbs/inch. So to the 5'8" female responder your ideal should be 140 (100+8*5) if you are medium frame or 126 small frame, or 154 large frame or if you have a lot of muscle.
  • ecborders
    ecborders Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and in the past i've read my ideal body weight is around 150, which seems ridiculously high... so I have the opposite problem. I'm 134 and still trying to lose a few pounds. I think it really varies depending on where you go.. most sites have different suggestions based on if you have a small, medium, or large frame
  • tannjam
    tannjam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think those are off. I am 5'2 and if I weight what they say is my ideal weight I would look sickly..be way too skinny..
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Yeah definitely need to figure out your lean body mass. I'm 5'11" and figured my ideal weight to be 187-189. Check out http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ . Use the Military Body Fat calculator to figure out your estimated body fat % and then use the Goal Body Weight Tool to help you figure it out.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    As a 6'0" female, please don't get down to 175lbs. It's too close to what I weigh ;-)
    Seriously, though, I agree with what most others have said. I think for a 6'ish tall male 180-200lbs looks good and healthy (depends on muscle mass and body build). Evaluate as you go, and find what YOU'RE comfortable with!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    My ideal weight based on online calculators is ~140 lb for my height 5'8", and I donot think I ever want to go there.
    I am 193 lb right now and wearing US size 10 jeans from GAP. I lost over 45 lb in the last 3 years pretty much dropping ~12 lb is equal to a size change for me. Getting down to 140lb would mean dropping to US jean size 2. I think that is a skeleton for a women at my height. I want to be a comfortable size 6, which would leave some femininity on my bones.
  • nfgchick79
    nfgchick79 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0" and the thought of trying to get down to 100 lbs makes me very sad. The least I ever weighed was 105 in high school (14 years ago). Right now I am between 122-126 depending on the day. My highest was 134 (about 3 months ago) and I definitely knew I needed to lose weight. I have a small frame so I know I could be that small and not look skeletal but man is that depressing! 100lbs! Ugh.
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    There is a very good "Healthy Body Calculator" at: http://www.dietitian.com