ISO your favorite ground beef recipes

Options
his_kid1
his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
I am buying 40 lb of 97/3 ground beef. Planning on making up a bunch of stuff to have in the freezer, but I want healthier recipes than what I used to use. Looking for a really flavorful meatloaf, meatballs, sloppy joe meat, and anything else that you really like making. TIA!!

Replies

• dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    i just came across this website thru another post on here, check it out

http://freezermealsforus.blogspot.com/search/label/casserole- beef
  • his_kid1
    Options
    I looked at the website posted, and I do appreciate it, but a lot of what is on there is the type of stuff I'm trying to improve on. I have heard of adding oats etc to meatloaf, but I'm not sure what the texture will be like. I'd love some tried and true recipes that people like.
  • lynzy713
    lynzy713 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i make stuffed peppers or stuffed zucchini a lot... just mix with brown rice (or quinoa, etc.) and whatever veggies you want (i usually do onion, pepper and celery) and then stuff and bake... so simple and delicious
  • his_kid1
    Options
    i make stuffed peppers or stuffed zucchini a lot... just mix with brown rice (or quinoa, etc.) and whatever veggies you want (i usually do onion, pepper and celery) and then stuff and bake... so simple and delicious

Hmm... dh likes stuffed peppers (but nobody else) but I wonder if people might eat stuffed zucchini. That is definitely a thought, thanks!
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    I looked at the website posted, and I do appreciate it, but a lot of what is on there is the type of stuff I'm trying to improve on. I have heard of adding oats etc to meatloaf, but I'm not sure what the texture will be like. I'd love some tried and true recipes that people like.

Yes, I did notice that alot of the recipes would need to be tweaked, and I am not real good at that either. Definatly need to follow a recipe to the T!

Check out skinnytaste.com

She has a bunch of recipes that are super good and I am sure could be frozen as well. I recently made the salsibury steak from her site (made with ground beef and ground turkey) and it was awesome!

Good Luck!
  • JayTee146
    JayTee146 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    :love: crockpot cheeseburgers :love:
  • tiffany0127
    tiffany0127 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You could use quinoa in place of breadcrumbs for your meatloaf...I make a turkey and quinoa meatloaf that is delicious.

You can do simple barbeque with a pinch of brown sugar, low sodium kethcup, and a little yellow mustard.

You could do a casserole with a can of veg-all and some cream of mushroom soup and a little cheese and salt and pepper.

You can do stuffed green peppers with spinach and stewed tomatoes.

Healthy tacos with a lower sodium taco seasoning and pack on the flavorful veggies and salsa.
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    this is a good one from skinnytaste

Swedish Meatballs

Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes

Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 5 meatballs • Old Points: 4 pt • Points+: 5 pt
    Calories: 213.5 • Fat: 10 g • Protein: 25.1 g • Carb: 8.5 g • Fiber: 1 g • Sugar: 2 g
    Sodium without adding salt: 346 mg

1 tsp olive oil
    1 small onion, minced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 celery stalk, minced
    1/4 cup minced parsley
    1 lb 93% lean beef
    1 egg
    1/4 cup breadcrumbs
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 tsp allspice
    2 cups reduced sodium beef stock
    2 oz light cream cheese

In a large deep saute pan, heat oil on medium heat, add onions and garlic; sauté until onions are
    translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add celery and parsley and cook until soft, about 3-4 more minutes. Let
    cool a few minutes.
    In a large bowl combine beef, egg, onion mixture, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and allspice. Mix well and
    form meatballs with your hands 1/8 cup each (fill 1/4 cup then divide the meat in half).
    Add beef stock to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly drop meatballs into
    the broth. Cover and cook about 20 minutes. Remove the meatballs with a slotted spoon and set aside in a
    serving dish. Strain the stock, add to blender with cream cheese and pulse until smooth. Return to pan and
    simmer a few minutes to thicken, then pour over meatballs. Garnish with parsley and serve over noodles
    or with toothpicks if you want to set these out as an appetizer.
    This makes 22 meatballs, nutritional info is based on 5 meatballs with gravy.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This is a modified recipe from allrecipes that I call Spicy Cajun Meatballs (SO yum!)

1 pound extra lean ground beef
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    1 small onion, diced
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon chipotle Tabasco
    1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 egg (or sub in 1/3 cup skim milk)
    1/4 cup grated cheese (I use whatever I have on hand, usually a Colby/Monterey Jack blend)
    1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs

I mix the dry ingredients (including onion), add them to the meat, then mix the wet ingredients (including cheese) and bake on a cookie sheet for 20 minutes at 400'F I make 16, a serving of two has 156 calories, 6 carbs, 8 fat, and 14 protein. It's not precisely the healthiest, but it's delicious.

I also make my own frozen burritos, using medium soft taco shells, a pound of lean ground meat, two cans of beans, drained and rinsed (or the equivalent in cooked dry beans), approximately a cup of shredded cheese, onion, and Old El Paso reduced sodium taco seasoning. (Fix the taco meat per the package, add the onions, beans, and about 1/3 cup of water and cook until the beans are softened, mash lightly with a potato masher, then fold in cheese.) That comfortably makes about 8 burritos, 379 calories, 39 carbs, 11 fat, and 22 protein. Less if you use something other than regular flour tortillas.
  • mindy2185
    Options
    bump
  • patiencez2
    patiencez2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Oats as a filler for meat loaf is wonderful! I use 1/2 turkey burger and 1/2 ground beef. It is awesome.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have always used oats as a filler in my meatloaf. I like it better than crackers. Just use the quick cooking and sub out the filler your recipe has.

You can make stuffed peppers (or unstuffed even). I use either black beans or barley instead of rice in mine. Unstuffed is same thing just cut the peppers up and cook in skillet on stove. It seems to be more appealing to those that don't like a lot of green pepper.
  • his_kid1
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I ended up making the swedish meatballs listed above, some italian meatballs, several of 2 different kinds of meatloaf (here's the one I made last night and it was amazing http://imperfecthomemaker.wordpress.com/2012/02/04/my-best-meatloaf-ever/ ), several packages of just browned meat with onions and garlic cooked into it, some taco-seasoned meat, and a bunch of 1 lb pkg of raw meat. I'm def. going to look into doing that salisbury steak from skinnytaste, that looks amazing.

I am SOOO happy with the quality of this meat. It was the freshest smelling meat I have ever had, and there is BARELY any fat that comes out at all. This has been a ton of work, and I'm not QUITE done yet, bc the meatballs are freezing so they can be packaged, but it is an investment so I can easily make tasty, healthy meals later.

Last month, I bought 60 lb of chicken, and did all sorts of pre-prep things with that, like freezing raw in various marinades, cooking and cubing, cooking and shredding, making BBQ chicken, etc.