I hate the scale, don't you?!?!

Options
I hate my scale...first of all it measures my weight at around 2-2.5 lbs. heavier than the Weight Watchers Center scale...and it makes me obsess about the numbers. I've never been a lover of math...but the way I obsess about the numbers on the scale now is obscene!!! Secondly, I can't go to any other meetings so I always weigh in at around 6pm on Wednesday nights and my weight is just blagh....it stagnates at the same or I'll go up 1-2 lbs from week to week...even though I'm following a better balanced eating regiment. Every week when I get on that scale...I feel like I'm on a freaking roller coaster...the way I go up and down....(sigh)....I hate the scale....(and I don't ever like to use that word lightly!).

Weigh in on this subject...pun somewhat intended...lol

Replies

• athearenee
    Options
    You won't see a (number) in the mirror..
    You won't see a scale in the mirror...
    You WILL see a difference in the way you look as you tone as lose inches.

The scale can be evil, possessed even... weighing every couple of weeks might be better...
    I USUALLY ONLY HATE THE SCALE WHEN IT REFLECTS WHAT I'M NOT DOING...
    If it's stuck for more than a week, I have to mix up my workouts and weight training...
    I TRY NOT TO OBSESS....

as far as eating and calorie consumption is concerned...

Every day will be different...some days you might have 8 calories left...some days 300...
    Your Body is changing and trying to adjust to your new diet/exercise plan...but it will adjust...
    & The Scale Will Move...

Yesterday I was so busy, I forgot to eat ...(say WHA?) - so I had quite a few calories left over
    A few days ago I couldn't stop eating and I had to exercise and extra 75 minutes to make up for all the calories I consumed.

Every day is a new day...how do you feel?
    Don't stuff yourself by any means...your stomach is shrinking and forcing yourself to eat will stretch it out and then you will be hungry for sure!!

Make sure you eat 5-6 times a day...balance it out.

a Protein + Carb for Breakfast
    a Protein and Fruit for snack
    a Protein and vegetable for lunch
    a Fruit and Veggie for Snack
    a Lean protein and Veggie for Dinner
    a Fruit for Dessert

Snacks should be about 150 calories.
    Meals should be about 300
    *This will depend on what your total calorie goal for the day is, but Balance is critical and you don't want to be hungry or stuffed.

This will keep you at fat burning range and your blood sugar won't spike and fall as well

Hope this Helps!
  • Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog on that a couple of weeks ago...how we let a hunk of metal determine our self worth! Ack! Why is it that everything we do in life, based on a set of numbers????

I'm learning to listen to what my BODY says; not what the SCALE says. I know when I'm feeling good and am eating properly...and that's all that matters.

It's very liberating! Kick the scale aside...use it only as a basic guide - but do NOT let it tell you how to feel!

Good luck!
  • itsjustpaper28686
    Options
    TOPIC: THE SCALE WILL NOT TELL YOU....(posted by fitaliciag)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/473780-the-scale-will-not-tell-you
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm about to throw mine out the window! 30 days of diet and exercise and I gain 3#. Never...and I repeat...never, has this happened to me! Yes, I feel physically fine but today I an so mentally over wraught that I really don't care! If I had lost even an ounce I would feel better then I do right now.

Sorry for being a whine bag but I'm a little bummed! LOL! :sad:
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disagree... but its the only thing in my life that doesn't lie to me....

My mirror lies to me, my friends and family lie to me.. i have been told, "Your not fat. You look fine in that." The scale knows when I havent been to the gym, or havent been focusing on veggies and water intake...

The scale wont lie to me and tell me that eating that 2nd, 3rd, or 4th piece of whatever is fine because its just a treat.... The scale kicks my butt back onto track and keeps me honest..
  • StaceySMC4
    Options
    I agree - I don't obsess with the scales! I weight myself like every 4 weeks. Your clothes will tell you what you are losing and how you are doing. Remember, it is not about the numbers! You can be thin and toned and still weigh more than what you think. Muscles weighs more than fat!

15685099.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I use it as a tool and no more do I get too emotional cause usually it only goes up if I'm doing something wrong but When it goes up for no reason and stays that way more than a week I think of how close the sledge hammer is but then I remember what the measuring tape said lol
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I love my scale and I weigh myself like every day. Its only one of my tools I use. I swing 5 pounds easy.
  • Verbalcody
    Verbalcody Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    when you want it bad enough and your more balanced eating regiment becomes actual healthy eating and excersize, your scale will be your friend. Love it!
  • NataliePinNV
    Options
    I am going to keep this simple because today I feel the same way....yes, I hate it too!!
    Unless I lose, then I love it.
    But when I gain or stay the same... I hate it. hee hee

:sad:
  • gloriashaped
    Options
    i don't make the scale my bible. I'm 5'3, scale says 130 and I'm a size 6 with my ribs showing. i have a lot of muscle weight. No misunderstanding, I'm not saying people should not weigh themselves.
  • simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am going to keep this simple because today I feel the same way....yes, I hate it too!!
    Unless I lose, then I love it.
    But when I gain or stay the same... I hate it. hee hee

:sad:

hahahaha that's me! :)
  • RooChilders
    RooChilders Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When the scale is not being nice to you, you should measure yourself. I have been fluctuating the same two pounds for a month. So I measured and have lost 21/2 inches in my stomach in one week. It really does make you feel better. You are always losing something somewhere so maybe trying that will help. I weigh in every 3rd, 13th, and 23rd. I don't check what my weight is very often in between. One thing to try that made me finally lose another pound is increase your water. Drink as much as you can but make sure its an increase. The doctor also said to add Gatorade so you don't hydrate yourself too much. Its really helped me get over that plateau. Good luck and just work as hard as you can soon enough you will love that scale.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The scale is not my friend, but I respect its opinion.
  • Mskckaye
    Mskckaye Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog on that a couple of weeks ago...how we let a hunk of metal determine our self worth! Ack! Why is it that everything we do in life, based on a set of numbers????

I'm learning to listen to what my BODY says; not what the SCALE says. I know when I'm feeling good and am eating properly...and that's all that matters.

It's very liberating! Kick the scale aside...use it only as a basic guide - but do NOT let it tell you how to feel!

Good luck!

I so totally agree with this statement...let you body tell you how you are doing in your eating and exercise, not a hunk of metal with a battery.
  • snowchj
    snowchj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Some tips for the scale...

- Use the same scale everyday.
    - Weigh in at the same time everyday (I like mornings, right after waking up and using the bathroom).
    - Wear the same clothes everyday (pajamas if you're me).
    - Remember that the contents of your stomach, and even the contents of your bowels will add or subtract from body weight day to day. This is part of what causes those unpredictable weight swings.
    - A more accurate--and hopefully less frustrating--technique for tracking progress is to weigh yourself daily for...say...two weeks. Then average all the values of the first week, average all the values of the second week, and subtract the second week's average from the first week's. (Obviously if you're trying to gain weight, do the opposite: subtract the first week from the second week to see how much you've gained.)

Hope that helps out some of the folks in this thread. Good luck.
  • miamigirll
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday too. Sometimes good...sometimes bad :( Thankfully I'm taking the turn for the better!! Finally! :flowerforyou:
  • brenteesha
    Options
    I totally understand what you mean! Sometimes the scale can be a positive motivator -- that's what got me started on calorie counting to begin with. However, more often than not, we overthink what the numbers mean and how much progress we're making. Being an overthinker myself, I completely understand having trouble not focusing on the scale.

Also keep in mind that the weight fluctuations can be due to many things... including when you last ate, what you ate, the time of day, how full your stomach and bladder are, and what you're wearing -- to name a few. My coworker explained this to me when I was diappointed that I had gained 2-3 lbs after I started calorie counting. Her recommendation is weighing in once a week, and not any more often... and she said every other week might even be better for some people. The reason behind this being that if you don't weigh yourself as much, you won't think about it as much. Like a previous poster said, it's not about the scale or the numbers -- it's about how you feel about yourself. If you are on a healthy eating regimen and exercising, then try to think about the positive changes you've made rather than what changes haven't happened yet.

Sorry I couldn't give you a more tangible answer... all I can tell you is focus on the positive! You are making some great strides, so don't focus on the negative!
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    At night when I ck weight I can be 2-5 lbs more then the morning, I also found that my if my night weight is less then the night before i will have lost a pound when i ck the weight in the morning. I used to get all worked up over it and fret but came to reliaze that I need to put in the work to get the scale to fall, Ya my jeans fit better and my shirts are not so tight, but the scale is telling me if I am doing what I need to lose the weight. The bottom line is there is no magic way to lose weight but to put in the work at the gym or home and to eat a correctly sized meal., Look at my diary I eat what I want but I cut the portion down and drink a lot of water.