The camera vs. the mirror

Options
I've become fascinated with the "mental aspect" of losing unwanted pounds, and am interested in others' experiences: I've taken to taking pictures of myself each month this time around, even though I never want to because I'm "only" down 3-5 lbs each time, and am AMAZED at how much smaller I look in the pictures than in the mirror. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar in their journey?

I'm wondering if it has something to do with an expectation of what my brain is used to seeing in my reflection and not catching up with the reality of what is actually there? They say the camera doesn't lie, but it seems the mirror does to me on a regular basis.

I actually skipped on last month's picture :frown: because I felt so down about only being 2 lbs down, and now I am really regretting losing out on that extra bit of motivation. It's always a pleasant surprise when I compare the pictures, even month to month.

Anyone else care to share their experiences along these lines (if I'm making any sense, :laugh: )

Replies

• Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Taking progress pictures is a wonderful idea! I wish I'd done that when i started...
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I started taking pictures when someone told me I looked good....and I didnt see it in the mirror.

Took 20 or so shots and thought WOW!! Who is that??

:glasses: Keep up the good work~
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, actually. I look in the mirror and think I see progress - but then, I see myself in a picture and I look just the same. :ohwell:
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, actually. I look in the mirror and think I see progress - but then, I see myself in a picture and I look just the same. :ohwell:

Me too. I took pics and a month later looked in the mirror and thought I looked better so I took another pic....THE SAME (maybe worse). I deleted the second pic :laugh: :angry:
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Me too. I took pics and a month later looked in the mirror and thought I looked better so I took another pic....THE SAME (maybe worse). I deleted the second pic :laugh: :angry:

yep, this is me, too.
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    oh i got one of my fat *kitten* :grumble: so glad i did didnt like taken them before :sad: now !!! dont mind at all wait i think someones taking one now goto go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
  • nikii14
    nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
    Options

SAME HERE!! I just don't see it at all in pics!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    The thing with pictures is....if you have bad lighting, or stand the wrong way, you can add pounds to the pic.

Trick is to wear the same clothes, stand in the same spot and have the camera angle the same. This is the best way to truly see the difference.

And try to look good! I see ppl with their progress pix looking like they just worked out. That doesnt work for me.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar experience. I know I've lost the weight...but it's taking my brain a bit longer to catch up to what my body did. When I look in the mirror, I don't always see a smaller person but I take a lot of photos (and get teased for it too..:blushing: ), but a HUGE part of why I do is to help to convince myself that I AM smaller..even when pregnant right now.

I do have some progress photos on here somewhere. I need to find it the thread and bump it. I have done a more recent "pregnancy progression" thread to sort of keep myself on track too. It helps to update that regularly and remind myself that pregnancy doesn't have to be about being HUGE, even though some days I feel like Jupiter already!! :wink: :laugh:
  • eriny
    Options
    my 2 :heart: :heart: awty and tam tastic :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    my 2 :heart: :heart: awty and tam tastic :flowerforyou:
    :laugh: :laugh: how are you????
  • eriny
    Options
    good and you and how is the family and the baby coming along
  • TamTastic
    Options
    good and you and how is the family and the baby coming along
    I'm doing well! Family is great and baby is growing nicely. I am 27 weeks along today. :happy: