What gets you motivated to go to the gym

Options
So I don't know if any of you are like me, but I really hate working out. Not just like I hate getting myself down there and when I'm there its refreshing. I mean I stare at the time the entire work out and absolutely hate it. I was wondering if any of you had any tricks for getting yourself down there. For example I am into the show Lost and I only let myself watch it when I'm working out. So if I want to find out what happens I have to go exercise. I'd love to find out how everybody else gets themselves on the dreadmill

Replies

• theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I really only hit the gym in the winter, otherwise I'm outside.
    First things first, I cover the screen on the Dreadmill. I do keep my time and speed out there, but not distance. For me, that's what gets me unfocused. I also keep reminding myself how much I really do love running. It's much harder for me to zone out on the 'mill, but I try. And I also fiddle around with the speed a lot.
    This morning I decided I was going to do five miles. The first one was brutal, I did it at a slower speed and kept having thoughts of quitting. I took a break after the first mile, gave myself a little pep talk (cheesy, I know!). I'm here, AT the gym, why not give it everything? So I pushed it hard for the next four miles and actually finished about a minute faster than I usually do.
  • Ariana_75
    Options
    It wasn't until I started seeing major changes as well as meeting like minded people that I REALLY got into it! You gotta find what you love doing...if you hate the 'dreadmill' , why don't you try doing some HIIT or plyometrics instead. If you lift weights, you can incorporate some fun moves in between sets to keep your heart rate up and actually burn more calories. Have you tried any classes? Time always seems to go by faster ....and you may also meet people that can help you get motivated! And last but not least, if budget allows, hire a trainer! It is by far the best money I have ever spent!!

I've been going consistently, for about 6 years and although I dreaded it at first, I can honestly say now that it is a lifestyle for me and actually enjoy my workouts each and every single time I'm there! =)
  • Kristena2009
    Kristena2009 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas! and thats honestly what I'm working towards. I don't want this to be a "I'm going to lose weight going to the gym and be done" thing. Like you said, it should be a lifestyle. Thanks for the tips!
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I was doing the elliptical for 45 minutes 3 or 4 times per week. However, I am now doing a different program where I'm lifting heavy weights and doing moves like deadlifts and squats. I really REALLY enjoy the program, enjoy seeing my body change, and enjoy seeing my strength increase, so that alone motivates me. I used to bring my phone to the gym and watch stuff from Netflix on it while I was on the elliptical. Now, when I'm in the gym, I'm IN THE GYM, meaning I am focused on what I am doing. I don't even carry around an ipod or anything.

Edit: If you don't enjoy what you're doing at the gym, then find some type of exercise you do love! Make it a hobby, not a chore. Do you really want to spend your time going to the gym for 3 or 4 hours a week to do something you hate?
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    By burning calories I can eat foods I like, like my chicken parm. Can't wait for dinner!

The more I go to the gym the more results I see. Smaller stomach, more muscles. That's cool.

The fact that I have a friends list full of women who kill it every single day. Can't let them have all the fun!
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It helps to have workout buddies and I also do alot of group classes because that doesn't seem so boring as the treadmill. HOwever when I do get on the treadmill/elliptical, I definitely have good music going and its fun to "people watch". At my gym the treadmills/ellipticals are upstairs and look down on the floor below where everyone is working out on machines or in weight room. What you see can be very interesting! :) I also think about that cute dress I saw at the store over the wknd or it will be warm here soon or I want to wear a 2 piece this summer.....
  • 7memyselfandI
    Options
    I have sooooo much fun at my group fitness classes, that I don't need extra motivation to go...and I'm so thankful :) I look forward to going every single night, have met some great people, we share lots of laughts while we zumba and strength train etc etc. It totally works for me and I haven't missed a beat in almost 2 years. I go an average of 2 hrs a day, 5 days a week. Key: Find something you LOVE to do. There is something. Go find it!!!
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I love the feeling AFTER my workout. The struggle is getting yourself there. But after achieving a substantial burn, I feel like a million bucks.

Also, my gym has a great collection of eye candy.
  • happyhaunt
    happyhaunt Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Reading these forums always gets me motivated to go to the gym!
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    I feel so much better when I'm working out. The mild soreness is far outweighed by the feeling of being stronger. I sleep better. I run faster. Almost every week (because I'm kinda new) I can lift more weight. I'm in this cycle where the more fit I get the more I want. My goals have been moved to a higher level of fitness. I started out thinking if I lose 20 lbs that should be good. Now I just want it all and the desire is so great and I feel so much better.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Group classes. I started running with my sister last August (having a running partner is about the only thing that kept me motivated), and in October we started Spinning at an awesome Spinning studio. I am excited to go there just to see our new friends, but the classes are awesome. I work harder there than I do when I run, and I always have a great time! I absolutely never dread going there, ever, and I used to be like you, that I hated working out in just about any form.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I love the feeling AFTER my workout. The struggle is getting yourself there. But after achieving a substantial burn, I feel like a million bucks.

Also, my gym has a great collection of eye candy.

^This is one of those women I was talking about.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I feel so much better when I'm working out. The mild soreness is far outweighed by the feeling of being stronger. I sleep better. I run faster. Almost every week (because I'm kinda new) I can lift more weight. I'm in this cycle where the more fit I get the more I want. My goals have been moved to a higher level of fitness. I started out thinking if I lose 20 lbs that should be good. Now I just want it all and the desire is so great and I feel so much better.

This is definitely true - the more I push my body to do (and succeed), the harder I want to push my limits. It's amazing what I'm capable of that I wasn't capable of six months ago!

Eventually you will come across something you love to do and will be happy to do it. On your days off it will feel like something is missing.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I look better naked when I work out....
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    the mirror
    seeing my daliy cals in the red
    results
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It takes me 1 minute to get to the gym after dropping my daughter off at school or 10 minutes to get home. I have yet to find a valid excuse to take the 10 minute trip.
    I've found this time around(yes-there have been many a go at this)that PICTURES are what are keeping me going. The scale moves around far too much, but the mirror and pictures are telling a new story. I just cannot wait to see what the next chapter is and how it will end-though I'm hoping this time, there is really no ending--I'll just keep writing in the book.
  • jasonsurmillon
    jasonsurmillon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I feel like I'm losing motivation I hop on YouTube and watch transformation videos and that alone amps me up to push harder :)
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    When I need that extra push, I like watching youtube vids showing Figure Competitors training, or females lifting heavy, and any type of training video that shows true effort and hard work.
  • NeshBeMe
    NeshBeMe Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Seeing myself naked gets me motivated all the time. :noway:
  • gagesmom314
    gagesmom314 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I joined Curves. I like it because the ladies there have a lot of fun. Plus every time you check in it tells you how many workouts you have done. Watching that number go up is motivation to me.